By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The sign of a great team

cymrococh

Guest GrandpaSimpson

A total nonsense. A made up Sky phrase to justify s*** football played by the top teams in the greatest league in the world.

There's a difference between playing below your usual level and getting a win ( = great teams) and playing at a mediocre level consistently and getting wins ( = mediocre teams). Second set get caught up with eventually.

the sentence seems to have become corrupted thanks to overuse by crap pundits. i'm pretty sure it started out as something like 'and that's the sign of champions, being able to grind out a win when not playing all that well'. somewhere along the line that became 'great team' and 'badly'. which makes no sense at all.

the sentence seems to have become corrupted thanks to overuse by crap pundits. i'm pretty sure it started out as something like 'and that's the sign of champions, being able to grind out a win when not playing all that well'. somewhere along the line that became 'great team' and 'badly'. which makes no sense at all.

Yep - distorted via over use.

I'm getting sick of people taking the fact we were rubbish as a positive on here.

"we were rubbish but we still won, that's a sign of champions".

We have been truly bobbins and if we continue like this, we'll win f*ck all.

I'm getting sick of people taking the fact we were rubbish as a positive on here.

"we were rubbish but we still won, that's a sign of champions".

We have been truly bobbins and if we continue like this, we'll win f*ck all.

winning ugly occasionally may be OK but not every game.

exactly. this sentence was coined for teams who were playing consistently well and who when they blipped and played crap, still won. not for teams that were consistently crap for a spell and didn't play to their potential at all.

except for loads of games and trophies and stuff

John, I've got no problem with direct or defensive football. My point is that either the players we have got are not good enough, or they are not playing well enough at the moment.

We look sloppy and bereft of ideas and individual performances are woeful in the most part.

I think the way Rafa sets the team up, the times we go out and dominate games the way Arsenal can or Man Utd can isn't going to be often. When we're at our best we play a high tempo pressing game that restricts the oppositions chances but we're not going to play this great posession game that Real or Arsenal do even at our best.

If there weren't some obvious reasons for the poor form id be worried but at the moment there are some obvious reasons...

1. Us more than any other team in the PL had more players involved in the latter stages of the Euros and Olympics, so we have the Spanish players that have come back late to pre-season and 3 key players away at the Olympics. Add Gerrard another key player thats misses a few weeks of pre-season and thats more than half the starting 11 that have had a shorter pre-season than usual so will take longer to get fully match sharp.

2. We have 2 or 3 new signings that need time to settle in.

3. We're missing key players that really influence the way Rafa sets the team up. Mascherano is the obvious one but you can also add Babel too since hes probably the only real attacking left player we have. Without Mascherano especially the balance of the team has been effected.

So yes the performances have been pretty dire this season, but we also have to understand that the same applies to every PL team, we were poor against Sunderland but still probably deserved the win, against Boro we were poor but they weren't any better, Arsenal have lost to Fulham, Utd have dropped points at home and Chelsea struggled against Wigan, Spurs have lost 2 from 2, Villa lost to Stoke.

It takes every team time to get into a groove with players that are match sharp and the right team decided upon, that can happen sooner for some compared to others. But the obvious plus points are we've won 2 from 2 in the league, qualified from a very tough CL game and have most of our players back fit, plus the possibility of 1 or more signing. Im hoping we managed to scrape a result against Villa (id take a draw at the moment) then hopefully after the international break the players will come back fitter and sharper and ready to play.

Edited by alias75