By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Kuyt on the right

rjlfc

Does everyone agree that he is NOT the answer to our RM position long term? Is there anyone out there who actually thinks he should be in our starting 11?

Not out to slate the guy, just interested as it seems most if not all fans are not happy with this. I really like the guy, hard working, genuine, true pro, but I just think he severely limits our attacking options from the right flank. Maybe if we had an out and out attacking LM it wouldn't be so bad as there would be less of an onus on him to create. But apart from the big games where his work rate of 2 players is a big plus, for the majority of the time it's a waste - we might as well play Alonso or Skrtel there.

I'm genuinely worried that we only have Babel who can operate as an attacking wide man, with Pennant seemingly outcast. I consider Benni to be more of a link player who likes to drift inside.

he does a job on the right side of a front 3 - sometimes a very good job - but he's never a right midfielder

That's how i see it too. He should play up front, either as partner for Torres in a 4-4-2 (his best position), as one of the three in a 4-3-3, even as one of the three in a 4-2-3-1. He's not fast or creative enough to play as a winger in a 4-4-2.

even as one of the three in a 4-2-3-1. He's not fast or creative enough to play as a winger in a 4-4-2.

Surely then he isn't fast or creative enough to play 4-2-3-1 as it's the same job description.

FWIW there wasn't much difference in how our wide players lined up today from how they did tail-end of last season. The major difference was the role of the second central midfielder (Gerrard) who got forward far more than Alonso or Lucas would from the same position. He saw plenty of the ball providing a link between the 5 behind and the 4 in front, picking the right pass more often than not and threatening the penalty area. Great shift from the captain.

He is obviously not the answer at RM. I am happy with him at the right of a front 3 as he was 2nd half of last season, but we appear to have changed that formation again? Would certainly keep him in the squad or as part of a front 3 though.

Thought Kuyt got forward fairly well - was involved in a few good attacking moves, tracked back, put a few crosses in and had a decent if not spectacular game.

There were certainly other players who had far worse games - Gerrard for instance who did very little - and what he did do very, very rarely came off.

His instistance to take really awful corners and free kicks once again didn't help the team - I've said before he should be banned for ever from taking corners - he's a goal threat and is terrible at taking corners - let someone take it that can actually get a half decent ball in the area.

To be honest - I've long got to the stage where I think forget trying to do something with a corner - just kick it off the pitch for a goal kick and stop wasting all those minutes we might be doing something useful.

I've never seen a side as terrible as us at corners - abysmal would be a major improvement.

Thought Kuyt got forward fairly well - was involved in a few good attacking moves, tracked back, put a few crosses in and had a decent if not spectacular game.

There were certainly other players who had far worse games - Gerrard for instance who did very little - and what he did do very, very rarely came off.

His instistance to take really awful corners and free kicks once again didn't help the team - I've said before he should be banned for ever from taking corners - he's a goal threat and is terrible at taking corners - let someone take it that can actually get a half decent ball in the area.

To be honest - I've long got to the stage where I think forget trying to do something with a corner - just kick it off the pitch for a goal kick and stop wasting all those minutes we might be doing something useful.

I've never seen a side as terrible as us at corners - abysmal would be a major improvement.

:lol:

He is obviously not the answer at RM. I am happy with him at the right of a front 3 as he was 2nd half of last season, but we appear to have changed that formation again? Would certainly keep him in the squad or as part of a front 3 though.

We're not Holland, we've never really done a front 3. Our wide players have always had the responsibility to come deep when not in possession and help the full-back by doubling up on oppo wide players.

We're not Holland, we've never really done a front 3. Our wide players have always had the responsibility to come deep when not in possession and help the full-back by doubling up on oppo wide players.

How would you describe his and Babels position in the team last season? Obviously not front strikers along with Torres. Possibly a 3 with Gerrard behind Torres? I was happy with him in that position, think he has lined up differently so far this season.

Gerrard MUST play in centre midfield with Alonso, we need to buy a right sided midfielder

So you wouldn't play Mascherano when hes back?

Think Mascherano is the key player for us at the moment, because he has that pace and energy that we lack when hes missing, plus of course he reads the game defensively better than anyone else in that position. Think Kuyt does a job in the 4-2-3-1 formation but hes not a winger in a 4-4-2.

Maybe when Babels back we'll play Benayoun when we go 4-4-2 and Kuyt when its 4-2-1-3

or we could also play Keane wide right in the 4-2-3-1 formation with the midfield 3 of Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard just off Torres.

He's a top lad who works his b******s off and creates chances. Kuyt at right midfield is about 15th on the list of problems we face.

'top lad and works his b******s off' do not represent the necessary qualities we can aspire to in our efforts to win the league.

to be frank, kuyt is f***ing rubbish.

Bullsh*t. He may not be a superstar, but he's far from rubbish, as he proved at the end of last season. He had a great first six months here and he was great for the second half of last season. He was poor in between. He's not the most talented player in the world but he's the type of player that lets you play an effective system, and in football an effective system is more important than anything.

Guest RedLegend
He's a top lad who works his b******s off and creates chances. Kuyt at right midfield is about 15th on the list of problems we face.

In fairness that's a load of bollards.

Dirk is a whole hearted player and puts himself about but we need more from that position. Certainly quality on the right flank comes a damn sight higher than 15th priority. If we have 14 more pressing needs then I'm a China man.

'top lad and works his b******s off' do not represent the necessary qualities we can aspire to in our efforts to win the league.

to be frank, kuyt is f***ing rubbish.

Kuyt was nowhere near the 'worst' player on the pitch yesterday.

This vendetta some of our 'fans' seem to have against him is starting to get embarrasing.