By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Abidal Linked

Guest Prongsy

He is actually a bloody good player although at Barca the team around him don't do him many favours in terms of defensive duty.

Guest Toxteth O'Grady

He is actually massively overrated, like most of these names from abroad.

He is actually a bloody good player although at Barca the team around him don't do him many favours in terms of defensive duty.

He's been a massive flop a Barca, nowt to do with defending all to do with attacking i.e. he offers feck all.

Guest Prongsy
He is actually massively overrated, like most of these names from abroad.

What are your suggestions for full back, then? I'm guessing someone English that we can pay a 5-10m premium on.

Guest Toxteth O'Grady
He's been a massive flop a Barca, nowt to do with defending all to do with attacking i.e. he offers feck all.

Cool sounding name though.

Guest Kelv

Quality player who has found it tough at Barca purley cause nobody ahead of the back four even try to defend. 30 odd caps for France whilst Evra has 9, enough said really. Be perfect for our system.

Guess it kinda makes sense when you think about the left-backs we've been linked to in the last couple of seasons - Heinze, Kaladze, Chiellini, etc. They're all more defensive left-backs/auxiliary centre-backs. Can't remember who posted on here AAAGES ago, but there was the theory that Rafa wanted a defence wherein the left-back could tuck in and almost form a 3 at the back, with a far more attacking right-back on the other side. The story was that he'd tried to train Riise to play this role, but naturally it wasn't a great fit.

Makes sense though, both in terms of our previous LB targets (could we throw the lad from Bilbao among them too?), and our previous linkage with the likes of Alves and Rafinha.

Guest Prongsy
Cool sounding name though.

Yeah, that's why people want him. Nothing to do with him being good or bad, just his name.

If it was Smith, you'd be all over him.

Guest Toxteth O'Grady
Yeah, that's why people want him. Nothing to do with him being good or bad, just his name.

If it was Smith, you'd be all over him.

Smithio?

Guest Prongsy
Thought he was the worst player on the pitch last week; he really stood out to me.

Mind you, I'm no Kaizer when it comes to judging potential. :bleh:

Lahm was horrific the other day, too. I'd love him here.

Interesting. Before he joined Barca he was quoted as saying that Liverpool had made an approach to him (it was around about this time last season) but he was more interested in Barca or Arsenal.

Might have to be a little less picky now.

Don't rate Abidal TBH....but then I didn't rate Evra before he went to United either.

Thought Abidal was poor for France in WC 2006 and he hasn't done much since to change that view.

Fact the Barca are willing to let him go so soon would only seem to back that up.

He looks clumsy and uncomfortable going forward.

Would love to be proved wrong but he wouldn't be high on my list of potential left-backs. I certainly wouldn't have him on ahead of a fit Fabio