By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Large Explosion, Nth London

Tetti

Strange pinky haze in the sky, where I live. Went just one mile down the road to Sainsburys and there is a wide band of the smoke hanging over that area. You can smell it and it catches in your throat. Yet, very close by its just hazy / foggy.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SW from what I can see- towards Slough in fact :D

1109647[/snapback]

You can laugh I don't actually live in Slough in fact I'm in between Slough and Hemel Hempstead but definitely en route. As the crow flies I'd say we're no more than 15 miles away and the sky was a peculiar colour in places just before dusk.

Edited by Murphman

You can laugh I don't actually live in Slough in fact I'm in between Slough and Hemel Hempstead but definitely en route. As the crow flies I'd say we're no more than 15 miles away and the sky was a peculiar colour in places just before dusk.

1109652[/snapback]

it's just kerosene burning. Net content of that cloud is a variety of hydrocarbons, carbon dioxide, atomised carbon and water vapour. It's not particularly toxic and most of the elements within are small enough that they will rise to an altitude where no one has to worry.

The heavier particles will cool and some areas will get a light covering of a sooty substance.

You're in more danger of inhaling something bad by living near Heathrow's main flightpath or *shock horror* walking into a smoky pub.

Asthmatics better watch out though- hydro-carbons can bring on attacks.

EDIT: such a clever chemist I spelt 'water' wrong :hmm:

Edited by StevieC

it's just kerosene burning.  Net content of that cloud is a variety of hydrocarbons, carbon dioxide, atomised carbon and wator vapour.  It's not particularly toxic and most of the elements within are small enough that they will rise to an altitude where no one has to worry.

The heavier particles will cool and some areas will get a light covering of a sooty substance.

You're in more danger of inhaling something bad by living near Heathrow's main flightpath or *shock horror* walking into a smoky pub.

Asthmatics better watch out though- hydro-carbons can bring on attacks.

1109653[/snapback]

Clever fecker. I never knew that.

Still looks like feckin doomsday though. :(

Guest sniffer
Christ, it woke us up too and we're a good 20 miles away!!

1109041[/snapback]

They said on the radio that it was heard in Maidenhead, 35 miles away.

Posts merged:

What p*ssed me off was that I drove to Stanmore today from South Bucks and had to fight my through queues of cars on the roads trying to get into petrol stations to fill up. Why, for Chrissakes??! The Depot was full of aviation fuel. Do their cars fly???? The Police said there was no need to panic-buy. Tw*nts. :angry:

Posts merged:

What p*ssed me off was that I drove to Stanmore today from South Bucks and had to fight my through queues of cars on the roads trying to get into petrol stations to fill up.  Why, for Chrissakes??!  The Depot was full of aviation fuel.  Do their cars fly????  The Police said there was no need to panic-buy.  Tw*nts. :angry:

1109705[/snapback]

The depot is pretty big and also has facilities for petrol and oil storage- they're ok though.

I saw people buying up water supplies earlier. Apparently there is a risk that water sources could be affected but that wouldn't make much difference to anyone at home after treatment. The top hats.

1109705[/snapback]

I live in Reading near J10 of the M4, about 10 miles up from Maidenhead, and I heard it. Only because I happened to be awake due to having a cold though, it would never have woken me up. Thought it was thunder at first, but then by the time I had realised it was not followed up by more thunder / rain, and that fact that it's not the right time of year for thunder I had decided it wasn't worth getting out of bed to investigate.

Apparently it was heard in Holland.