By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Assists for 2013/14

Cunny

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

f***ing hell lads

Yeah, yeah, this is what we do here. Point me to elsewhere were genuinely interesting relevant debate is ongoing and ill dive in.

(Waits)

Good. I thought so.

Now, assists.....lets have it J...

Not entirely missing the point at all.

I don't agree with attributing someone with an assist - be it for a freekick or penalty - when they were fouled 25 yards from goal.

There are other occasions when i think they've played a key part in a goal but should not be given an assist - i think Enrique on Saturday would be an example because Sturridge still had much to do. There's enough man power and money at Opta to differentiate the two, accepting that the two areas combined would, as you put it, broadly provide us with the information required.

And if an assist is given for the last touch prior to a team mate, then how about a dummy like Coutinho's ?

Enrique is passing it to Coutinho, not Sturridge yet he gets the assist.

I'm not for absolutes in this as i think there's enough intelligence in evaluating a goal on it's merits and likely acceptance of this by fans. " Look, Enrique only had 1 assist last season but played a key part in 7 goals. "

A couple more categories makes the stats more relevant.

You're drawing conclusions or formulating opinions based on not enough data, though.

You want absolutes and then fans to accept that there may be a few discrepancies here and there

I'd like more info and then fans to accept there may be a few discrepancies here and there.

We should get married.

Ha ! Never ! It would spoil what we have.

Yeah, yeah, this is what we do here. Point me to elsewhere were genuinely interesting relevant debate is ongoing and ill dive in.

Maybe people prefer reading five posts all stating that Assaidi has gone on loan.

And in true forum stylee, that makes it six.

(Waits)

Good. I thought so.

Now, assists.....lets have it J...

McDonald said "Not all goals should be valued" and you in part agreed.

If that is "genuine interesting relevant debate" then I'll happily stick to transfer gossip

But I think assists were invented to make fantasy football more fun. Doubt anyone was arsed before that

I bet Kenny couldn't guess how many assists he's got to the nearest 20.

I'm also of the opinion that all goals should be valued fwiw. Perhaps even counted up as method to deciding who wins a game of football

But then I'm a traditionalist

If that is "genuine interesting relevant debate" then I'll happily stick to transfer gossip

But I think assists were invented to make fantasy football more fun. Doubt anyone was arsed before that

I'm also of the opinion that all goals should be valued fwiw. Perhaps even counted up as method to deciding who wins a game of football

I wasn't agreeing literally ffs. What do you take me for man ?!

That's not what I meant and you know it.

I only read the last page, and I now like football 10% less

b******s.

Page 1 makes a far more significant contribution than Page 2 in causing a diminishment in how much someone likes football.

Without the key contributions there, Page 2 would never have been in the position to roll the final ball.

Edited by kop205

Gibbo's s***ting in my chips has ruined my night. Not even enjoying the ice cream I'm eating now.

FWIW, I meant that goals should not be considered equally when trying to assess players, like. Goal in Romanian second division isn't the same as a goal in the Champions League final. A 2 yard tap in when you're just stood there with an empty net isn't the same as dribbling past 5 and chipping the keeper.

But I think assists were invented to make fantasy football more fun.

That is precisely why they were invented, in my opinion - to facilitate/improve Fantasy Football.

An assist, per current definition (last player to touch the ball before the goalscorer), is irrelevant as a stand-alone stat ... and largely irrelevant entirely.

There are far more relevant and informative stats that clubs use - just a shame that they are not made publicly available.

Edited by RP

• 2 weeks later...