By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The cricket

Cobs

World Cup and the Ashes all in one summer? Looking forward to all of it.

Although looking at the schedules, the last Test is in mid-September. Hope you get the weather for it, lads.

No county championship for months after the first tranche of matches.

I don't normally have any sympathy for a batsman out via a mankad but that was ridiculous.

Ashwin taking the piss.

Apparently the captains and coaches of all the teams agreed at a pre tournament meeting that it was not a tactic to be used.

No county championship for months after the first tranche of matches.

Apparently the captains and coaches of all the teams agreed at a pre tournament meeting that it was not a tactic to be used.

I think I'm like most in that if someone is blatantly taking the piss with their backing up then they cant really have too much complaint, warning or no warning. Really doesn't sound like Buttler was though.

Is the backing up written into rules though? Is it a batman's right?

To me it all seems a fuss about someone, possibly unsportingly, highlighting someone else cheating.

The bowlers entitled to do it so yeah, on that sense there is a expectation that the non striker stays on his ground.

I don't think anyone would be saying Buttler was cheating though. He hasn't been consciously trying to gain a big advantage, he's most just misjudged/been duped into misjudgjng the moment of release, from the sounds of it.

I don't think Buttler intended to cheat. I have seen blatant abuse of batsmen backing up too much and this wasn't one of them. IMO, Ashwin saw that the game was being taken away from them by Jos and decided to use a sneaky rule to get him out. Do think this was also premeditated and comes down to the 'do anything to win' motto with the money floating around the IPL.

MCC have their word: https://www.lords.org/lords/news-stories/mcc-statement-on-mankad-incident-in-ipl-match-betw

It was the slight delay in releasing the ball that the TV judge should have seen and found in Buttler's favour imo.

Yep - was clearly pre-meditated

Having said that Buttler has been mankadded before so he needs to sharpen up his backing up

Yep - was clearly pre-meditated

Having said that Buttler has been mankadded before so he needs to sharpen up his backing up

Yeah it's sometimes a tough call and there deffo needs to be a restriction on how far batsmen back up or it's a nonsense.

Think Buttler was unlucky here in general tho.

Why do batsmen back up though? To reduce the distance they need to run and lower the chance of being run out. They're trying to gain an advantage that isn't in the laws.

Don't have a problem with them being mankadded. Game favours batsmen so much anyway.

There are loads of better ways of redressing the balance between bat and ball than mankadding become acceptable.

Nobody goes to a game to see that and almost everyone who has ever played the game seems to think it is generally, and this instance in particular was, a bit s***.

Though I admit I would explode with joy if England won the Ashes by mankadding Smith or Warner.

There are loads of better ways of redressing the balance between bat and ball than mankadding become acceptable.

Nobody goes to a game to see that and almost everyone who has ever played the game seems to think it is generally, and this instance in particular was, a bit s***.

Though I admit I would explode with joy if England won the Ashes by mankadding Smith or Warner.

Oh of course, I'm not suggesting mankadding is the fix.

But ultimately everyone's getting uppity that the batsman can't cheat like they always have if it did become the norm.

And absolutely 100% on your last point. Oh my god it'd be delicious.

Probably become more of a thing with T20 and the need for really quick runs but there's deffo players that take the piss with backing up.

When I played, if a batsman was taking the piss with it, I'd maybe stop and gesture as if to stump but not do it - altho technically that's not the right thing to do either but it seemed a reasonable way to warn them.

Oh of course, I'm not suggesting mankadding is the fix.

But ultimately everyone's getting uppity that the batsman can't cheat like they always have if it did become the norm.

And absolutely 100% on your last point. Oh my god it'd be delicious.

It's not cheating. The batsman backs up as the ball is released in anticipation of a run. He can be run out as a result of that risk by a ball being hit back to the bowler to the fielder/whatever. Thats the downside risk of backing up

The bowler steps into his action to bowl the ball and the batsman assumes the ball to be released and so backs up. He isnt trying to gain an unfair advantage. The bowler is by pretending to bowl the ball but not releasing it though. 

Yep, it was clearly Ashwin and not Buttler in this instance who was seeking unfair advantage and going against the laws of the game. The umpire got it wrong. If Ashwin releases the ball when he normally would then Buttler is in his ground. Either way, Buttler wasn't breaking any law of the game anymore than someone padding up to a ball on middle stump is. He can stand as far down as he likes. He just needs to be aware he can be run out as a result.

Edited by kop205

Temperature was 42 Celsius in the middle and the batsmen were hitting plenty of 2's as well as the boundaries.

Didn't realize that. Great levels of fitness.

Meanwhile, Delhi needing 23 off 21 balls with 7 wickets in hand lost all of those for 8 runs. Sam Curran hattrick and MOTM. Englishmen, bar Moeen and maybe Stokes having a great IPL so far.

Just can’t get into the IPL

I was like that where I'd only watch Mumbai for years. The quality has taken a step up in the last three-ish seasons, with good quality local lads coming through from the U-19s, more Englishmen and Australians playing and I think its great now.

EDIT: Didn't like the Netflix documentary though.

Edited by EC_Red