By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Current starting XI

Woodsyla

Pepe

Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique

Downing Gerrard Lucas Bellamy

Suarez Carroll

After that it's a bit patchy but really we are only missing a couple of first teamers for a top 4 challenge. If we can bring in 2 players who are better than the current encumbent in that line-up (thinking 2 of Downing, Bellamy and Carrol specifically) and 2 more just below that standard I reckon we could have a cracking season.

Pepe

Downing Gerrard Lucas Bellamy

Suarez Carroll

After that it's a bit patchy but really we are only missing a couple of first teamers for a top 4 challenge. If we can bring in 2 players who are better than the current encumbent in that line-up (thinking 2 of Downing, Bellamy and Carrol specifically) and 2 more just below that standard I reckon we could have a cracking season.

4-4-2?

4-4-2?

With Gerrard and Lucas as your two why not?

Swap Carroll for Henderson if you want 4-5-1

I'd give young Joey Cole a chance ahead of Downing.

I'd give Aquilani a go ahead of both, neither is that likely. not convinced 'young' Joe Cole has the stamina for the Premier League, not convinced Aquilani has the stomach for it.

With Gerrard and Lucas as your two why not?

Swap Carroll for Henderson if you want 4-5-1

I think we'll be looking more 4-3-3 with a target man at the point of the front 3. Seems to be the way that he sets up.

Wouldn't mind seeing...

-------------------Pepe

JOhnson - Skrtel - Agger - Enrique

-------------------Lucas

-----------Gerrard - Aquilani

-------Suarez - Carroll - Bellamy

Not likely to see Aquilani involved though and think Bellers might move on.

Edited by richwilks

------------------------------------------------Reina------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------Doni--------------------------------------------------

Johnson-------------------Skrtel------------------------Agger-----------------------Enrique-

--Kelly----------------------Carra------------------------Coates--------------------Robinson

------------------------------------------------Lucas-------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------?----------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------Gerrard--------------------------?--------------------------------------

------------------------------Adam----------------------Henderson------------------------------

---Suarez-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------?------

-Downing--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bellamy-

----------------------------------------------Carroll--------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------?-----------------------------------------------------

Spearing and Shelvey fill out the squad. Then you have Sterling etc. who can do a role from the bench.

Just how I see it, obviously.

That squad also obviously has Maxi, Aquilani and Cole leaving.

Edited by schmuckdonald

------------------------------------------------Reina------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------Doni--------------------------------------------------

Johnson-------------------Skrtel------------------------Agger-----------------------Enrique-

--Kelly----------------------Carra------------------------Coates--------------------Robinson

------------------------------------------------Lucas-------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------?----------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------Gerrard--------------------------?--------------------------------------

------------------------------Adam----------------------Henderson------------------------------

---Suarez-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------?------

-Downing--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bellamy-

----------------------------------------------Carroll--------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------?-----------------------------------------------------

Spearing and Shelvey fill out the squad. Then you have Sterling etc. who can do a role from the bench.

Pretty much my thinking. We get some more quality in key positions and we'll look good.

I think Sterling might force his way into our best XI this season.

At present I'd say:

Reina

Lucas

Gerrard----------Aquilani

Suarez Carroll Bellamy

But hopefully we can bring in one or two players that can strengthen that.

Edited by Cooger

I think Sterling might force his way into our best XI this season.

At present I'd say:

Reina

Lucas

Gerrard----------Aquilani

Suarez Carroll Bellamy

But hopefully we can bring in one or two players that can strengthen that.

Henderson for Aquilani, and that's mine. Highlights the need for Lucas cover though, especially as he's likely not going to be fit for that b*tch of a start we have.

Edited by cymrococh

That looks like a bombs hit it on mobiles!

Henderson for Aquilani, and that's mine. Highlights the need for Lucas cover though, especially as he's likely not going to be fit for that b*tch of a start we have.

Yeah, I like Henderson and he does give us energy in the centre of midfield. Think he should suit the way Rodgers wants to play and the same for Shelvey. Would have no problem with either of them starting for us.

I agree we need cover for Lucas, as he won't be able to play 60+ games even if he was 100%. He might struggle coming back from injury and it would make sense to getsome really good cover for him.

My biggest concern is where are the goals going to come from? Our defense is solid, it was last season generally even without Lucas for large parts, with the third best record in the league.

I guess I am just worried about Carroll - can he be clinical enough for us. Last season would suggest he can't, even in the last few games when his form looked much better he still wasn't clinical.

I think we need a striker more than anything this summer, as relying on Carroll to get the goals is a big risk IMO, based on what we have seen since he has joined us. If you don't have a goalscorer(s), you won't win many games, as we saw last season.

The goodnews is Arsenal might lose RVP who got 30 league goals for them last season, that will help our chances of getting top four, as that is a lot of goals for the team to replace.

Players that could thrive under Rodger, young, old, new ...whatever.

Reina - our new sweeper

Johnson

Agger

Skrtel

Wilson

Enrique

Kelly

Coates

Lucas

Spearing

Gerrard

Henderson

Shelvey

Stirling

Aquilani

Cole

Suarez

Maxi

Bellamy

Downing

I actually think we're got a pretty decent squad there and picking 11 to suit his style will be tough, especially if he keeps them all.

I'd add Pacheco, Suso, Robinson and Teixeira to that list as well.

The two players I disagree with are Downing and Wilson.

Wilson might be a ball playing centre back, which will suit Rodgers, but there is no point in being a ball playing centre back, unless you are solid defensively and I don't think he is, personally. He always looks very vulnerable when I have watched him. Think Wisdom is a better prospect.

Also Downing might be able to keep the ball, can work hard and has the movement required... the basics which Rodgers wants. However again, the wide players are going to have to get goals or / and assists... Downing I'm not convinced can do that or get enough goals or assists that we require.

Of the squad we (currently) have, and with Rodgers' approach in mind, I'd go…

---------------Reina

-----Gerrard Lucas Maxi

----Suarez Carroll Bellamy

But we need signings, the most urgent of which are a 'controlling' playmaker-type LCM and a totally boss left-forward. Ideally, we could do with a better striker than Carroll and a better left-back than Enrique too. Oh, and cover for Lucas (do NOT forget about this, Bren).

Edited by CJMcDonald

I like the idea of trying Maxi central. He is good on the ball, gets in the box and could help us get more goals from midfield.

If Rodgers likes his wide players to be quick and direct, like he had at Swansea with Dyer, Sinclair and Routledge then it might be Maxi's best chance of getting in the team.

Reina - our new sweeper

Johnson

Agger

Skrtel

Wilson

Enrique

Kelly

Coates

Lucas

Spearing

Gerrard

Henderson

Shelvey

Stirling

Aquilani

Cole

Suarez

Maxi

Bellamy

Downing

Lacks a bit of width but numbers may give us an advantage if they hide behind each other when the ref is counting!