By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Kop Flops

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a pretty good theme running through all of them - they were all shifted pretty swiftly when things didn't work out.

Managers make mistakes. It is to his credit that he recognises the duds quickly and sells them on, instead of keeping them about and trying to justify why they were bought in the first place.

it's b******s:

josemi - hardly a flop at 2m

nunez - came as part of the owen transfer and was a decent player

Morientes - didnt do well, flop is a fair comment. 6m

Kromkamp - didnt do well, straight swap for josemi though and we made a profit on him later

Gonzalez - they have him down for 4.5m but i'm sure he only cost 1.5m. was bought as a youngster rather than a first team regular and i think we made a profit when he left

Bellamy - did ok. made a profit. hardly a flop

Babel - 11m. has underperformed, but jury is still out. we should get our money back if we sell

Itandje - free. a 'flop' because of the memorial incident

Pennant - 7m. granted, he's crap

Keane - 20m. granted

So in 5 years of being in charge there's Keane, Pennant and Morientes who are poor signings. The rest are harsh, especially as there's been no money lost.

Do the same for Chelsea, Arsenal and ManU since 2004 and i'm sure you'll find a lot worse.

I've stopped bothering with the Guardian's football pages. Its beyond a joke now and is nothing more than a place for snide little digs all of the time. The level of comment from readers in the blog section is beneath contempt too. No humour, no insight, no interest.

I've stopped bothering with the Guardian's football pages. Its beyond a joke now and is nothing more than a place for snide little digs all of the time. The level of comment from readers in the blog section is beneath contempt too. No humour, no insight, no interest.

same goes, it went from being the best place to read good debatable football comment to a self-satisfied slightly posher version of football365. and the podcast has become unlistenable.

I just realised when I stopped buying it - the day after the bennett/Mascherano game when the match report read "ignore the sending off, it's irrelevant, it had no bearing whatsoever on anything and anyone who says it might have done is fairly evil. man utd were absolutely magnificent yesterday, truly wondrous, i had such a massive hard on all game and ever since..."

same goes, it went from being the best place to read good debatable football comment to a self-satisfied slightly posher version of football365. and the podcast has become unlistenable.

I'm in no way suggesting that they have any agenda against us in particular as they have a go at anyone and anything. Its just not a pleasant site to visit anymore as they've ramped the sneering up to ridiculous levels.

How they can employ someone like Daniel Taylor is a mystery. Why not just post a link to RedIssue and be done with it.

think someone alluded to it on here the other day, might have been sutty. united have a f***ing enormous reader base so it's worth their while having a tame journo in ferguson's pocket who will type up whatever the man tells him to.

I'm in no way suggesting that they have any agenda against us in particular as they have a go at anyone and anything. Its just not a pleasant site to visit anymore as they've ramped the sneering up to ridiculous levels.

strangely, barry glendenning, who normally is the sneeriest of sneering, self-satisfied pompous oiks has actually been defending rafa over the past month or so. but the best columns on there now by far are pleat's chalkboard and anything jonathan wilson writes. probably because pleat is a football man and wilson's not a staffer.

ah well. they were/are all flops, in their own way. can't be arsed getting upset by it.

Its tenuously linked to a story they are doing on Benitez coming up for his first summer fully in charge of transfers. There is no other reason for it. Yet its right up the top of the home page of the site and doesn't actually have any links to the rather weak story elsewhere on the site. What is the point other than having a completely unnecessary pop?

Its tenuously linked to a story they are doing on Benitez coming up for his first summer fully in charge of transfers. There is no other reason for it. Yet its right up the top of the home page of the site and doesn't actually have any links to the rather weak story elsewhere on the site. What is the point other than having a completely unnecessary pop?

that's exactly what it is and it does my f***ing head in. it's not news, it's not even comment, it's a pisspoor attempt to create more content and ties tenuously to the david gill interview on radio five on sunday morning. no summer tournament this year to focus on, where can we generate some w*nky agenda and attempt to glean some reaction from it? i think knox's comment earlier was right about us moving quickly to secure transfers this summer so hopefully we'll get them done and dusted in short order and just give the press as little as possible to f*** about with.

strangely, barry glendenning, who normally is the sneeriest of sneering, self-satisfied pompous oiks has actually been defending rafa over the past month or so. but the best columns on there now by far are pleat's chalkboard and anything jonathan wilson writes. probably because pleat is a football man and wilson's not a staffer.

So it's not just me then. Thank god for that.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.