By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Sven leaves City

Eriksson's reign at Man City ends

Sven-Goran Eriksson

Former England boss Eriksson joined City last summer

Manchester City have split with manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

BBC Sport revealed in April that Eriksson was no longer wanted by owner Thaksin Shinawatra, despite the Swede guiding City to a Uefa Cup place.

"I have enjoyed my time at Manchester City very much and I would like to thank the fans, players and staff for their amazing support," said Eriksson.

Blackburn chiefs have granted City permission to talk to manager Mark Hughes about replacing Eriksson.

The Welshman has guided Rovers into Europe twice, but recently indicated his long-term ambitions might not be satisfied at Ewood Park.

Former England boss Eriksson took over as City manager last summer and still had two years left on his contract.

City chief executive Alistair Mackintosh said: "The board of directors and all at Manchester City would like to thank Sven for his efforts and contributions throughout the season.

"We wish him well for the future. Sven remains a friend of the club."

City occupied third spot in the Premiership in November, but former Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin was unhappy with City's results since the turn of the year.

City's form faltered badly after Christmas, although their ninth-place finish was enough to win them a European berth, albeit via the Fair Play League.

Thaksin bankrolled eight summer signings at a cost of more than £46m shortly after buying the club but his relationship with Eriksson soured in the second half of the season.

City's players are understood to have reacted with a mixture of shock and anger when Eriksson told them he would be leaving in April and he had the support of the majority of fans.

And City defender Micah Richards told the BBC that the players were "100% behind" Eriksson, who is thought to have been lined up as the next manager of the Mexican national team.

Thaksin now has to find a new manager before the new season starts in August and Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari and recently ousted Chelsea boss Avram Grant have also been touted as a possible replacement.

It seems certain that any new manager will have a considerable amount of money to spend in the summer.

Thaksin has hundreds of millions of pounds worth of assets frozen as he awaits trial on corruption charges later this year.

But his former lawyer Noppadom Pattama, who is now Thailand's foreign minister, told BBC Sport that he expected these assets to be unfrozen in the near future.

beeb

Gotta feel sorry for him, hes been treated like crap.

Hope he finds a better club without a total loon as an owner :rolleyes:

HERE

Sven-Goran Eriksson

BBC Sport revealed in April that Eriksson was no longer wanted by owner Thaksin Shinawatra, despite the Swede guiding City to a Uefa Cup place.

"I have enjoyed my time at Manchester City very much and I would like to thank the fans, players and staff for their amazing support," said Eriksson.

Blackburn chiefs have granted City permission to talk to manager Mark Hughes about replacing Eriksson.

The Welshman has guided Rovers into Europe twice, but recently indicated his long-term ambitions might not be satisfied at Ewood Park.

Former England boss Eriksson took over as City manager last summer and still had two years left on his contract.

City chief executive Alistair Mackintosh said: "The board of directors and all at Manchester City would like to thank Sven for his efforts and contributions throughout the season.

City occupied third spot in the Premiership in November, but former Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin was unhappy with City's results since the turn of the year.

606: DEBATE

I really feel for Sven, the way he has been treated after a fantastic season is nothing short of outrageous

CC

City's form faltered badly after Christmas, although their ninth-place finish was enough to win them a European berth, albeit via the Fair Play League.

Thaksin bankrolled eight summer signings at a cost of more than £46m shortly after buying the club but his relationship with Eriksson soured in the second half of the season.

City's players are understood to have reacted with a mixture of shock and anger when Eriksson told them he would be leaving in April and he had the support of the majority of fans.

And City defender Micah Richards told the BBC that the players were "100% behind" Eriksson, who is thought to have been lined up as the next manager of the Mexican national team.

Thaksin now has to find a new manager before the new season starts in August and Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari and recently ousted Chelsea boss Avram Grant have also been touted as a possible replacement.

It seems certain that any new manager will have a considerable amount of money to spend in the summer.

Thaksin has hundreds of millions of pounds worth of assets frozen as he awaits trial on corruption charges later this year.

But his former lawyer Noppadom Pattama, who is now Thailand's foreign minister, told BBC Sport that he expected these assets to be unfrozen in the near future.

Sven-Goran Eriksson

beeb

maybe, but he did waste a lot of money and their form since december has been shocking

He will leave with millions in compensation yet again so I wouldn't feel too sorry for him!

It would be a strange choice by Hughes and not just because of the job (in)security; it seems to be a sideways move.

Okay, Blackburn's limit may be top 10 but surely that's also City's limit. I can understand him leaving them for Chelsea... but City. Yeah, a bigger club but no more likely to break into the CL or go on a cup run.

And it rules him out of the race to succeed Ferguson.

I think its a step up from Rovers, a pretty big one.

They have the money, the stadium, big city team, there is a lot more potential there.

The old cliche, but he has taken Rovers as far as he can really.

OK, so job insecurity maybe, but how different would it be at Chelsea.

I think he may see it as the more sensible option right now. A step up rather than a giant leap up. There would be pressure on at City, but at Chelsea he'd be expected to win the league and European Cup pretty much straight away. Abramovich has already sacked 2 managers who couldn't win him the European Cup.

Edited by Benitez

the stadium, big city team

They're fair points. He must have been frustrated by a small ground only 2/3 full.

So who's available to go to Ewood Park; Shearer maybe? It'd give him a foothold before Newcastle come calling.

Guest Kaizer

Svennis has been confirmed as new Mexico manager and according to Blackburns official site they have allowed Hughes to hold talks with City.

A 3 year contract? Doesn't the job at Man Utd become available then according to what Ferguson said yesterday. Coincidence or good timing contract wise by Hughes? Just a thought like.

Thought that myself, like the way he's being touted as one of the best young managers around, hes 44 the c***!!!!!