By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Babel out of Euros

Guest Dave69

Guest Dave69
oh dear how long is he going to be out?

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -Netherlands winger Ryan Babel is out of the European Championship after injuring his ankle in training on Saturday morning.

Babel tore ankle ligaments and a scan showed that the injury will sideline the 21-year-old player for several weeks, the Dutch soccer association said.

Coach Marco van Basten did not immediately announce a replacement.

The injury came a day before the Netherlands plays Wales in its last friendly match before the European Championship.

Van Basten's team plays world champion Italy on June 9 in Berne to open its Euro 2008 campaign. It also plays World Cup runner up France and Romania in what is considered the toughest qualifying group at the tournament

Mods please close other threds please.Apologises.

A sprained ankle is a very common type of ankle injury. A sprain is stretching and or tearing of ligaments (you sprain a ligament and strain a muscle).The most common is an inversion sprain (or lateral ligament sprain) where the ankle turns under so the sole of the foot faces inwards, damaging the ligaments on the outside of the ankle.

ankle-anatomy1.jpg

A medial ligament sprain is rare but can occur particularly with a fracture. This happens when the ankle rolls the other way, so the sole of the foot faces outwards, damaging the ligaments on the inside of the ankle.

The most common damage sustained in a sprained ankle is to the anterior talo-fibula ligament shown towards the front of the image opposite. This ligament, as the name suggests, connects the talus (ankle bone) with the fibula (smaller of the two bones in the lower leg). If the sprain is severe there might also be damage to the calcaneo-fibula ligament (connects the heel bone to the fibula) which is further back towards the heel. This ligament only becomes injured in more severe injuries due to its increased strength and laxity whilst the toes are pointed (a common position for injuries).

In addition to the ligament damage there may also be damage to tendons, bone and other joint tissues, which is why it is important to get a professional to diagnose your ankle sprain. Complete ruptures of the anterior talo-fibular, calcaneo-fibular and posterior talo-fibular ligaments results in dislocation of the ankle joint and is often associated with a fracture.

A sprained ankle is classified into three categories depending on severity:

First degree ankle sprain:

* Some stretching or perhaps minor tearing of the lateral ankle ligaments

* Little or no joint instability

* Mild pain

* There may be mild swelling around the bone on the outside of the ankle

* Some joint stiffness or difficulty walking or running

Second degree ankle sprain:

* Moderate tearing of the ligament fibres

* Some instability of the joint

* Moderate to severe pain and difficulty walking

* Swelling and stiffness in the ankle joint

Third degree:

* Total rupture of a ligament

* Gross instability of the joint

* Severe pain initially followed later by no pain

* Severe swelling

I'm seeing comments all over the place that people are relieved he'll be back playing for us in time for the new season but playing in tourneys like this is invaluable learning experience for a player of his age. I'm gutted he's missing out

Guest Snorky
Got that just before christmas, took me 3-4 weeks before I could run properly again. Another week before I could engage in proper football play again.

So that's 48 hours out for proper players then ?

Guest Snorky

Every cloud.

I think this tournament could have put Ryan right out there and made it harder for us to keep him. Two years of Babel time now :thumbs:

Every cloud.

I think this tournament could have put Ryan right out there and made it harder for us to keep him. Two years of Babel time now :thumbs:

:unsure::unsure:

thought we were a big club :unsure::unsure:

I agree. He needs to have a defining moment that he can build confidence from. This was a great opportunity.

Ronaldo's defining moment was being the bad boy and getting Rooney sent off -- what I'm saying is the injury could be the defining moment, it was for Carra' he came back a more intelligent player. Maybe Babel will work more with BOTH feet when recovering and be more determined

Guest Scot

Shame for the kid, I'm sure he's gutted. Hopefully means he'll get to start the season fresh for us and determined to make up for it. :)

I broke my ankle playing football and damaged the ligaments at the same time, it's a barstard of an injury and very painful but with treatment today he'll be ok for the start of the season I would think.