By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

City Council Leader urges joint stadium

dorgie

Don't see this anywhere else on first page.....of course he's a bluenose fan though, so this is the only option to them now other than moving to Kirby.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverp...64375-20978137/

Liverpool City Council plans joint stadium for Liverpool and Everton

May 27 2008 By Richard Down

Image of Liverpool FC's new £300m planned stadium at Stanley Park _400

LIVERPOOL council leader Warren Bradley last night revealed he is still working on a plan for a joint stadium for Liverpool and Everton football clubs in the city.

The Lib-Dem leader’s revelation came after opposi- tion Labour leader Joe Anderson urged the ruling group to make a last-ditch effort to stop Everton going to Kirkby by enabling the redevelopment of Goodison Park.

Last night, Cllr Bradley told the Daily Post: “I’d back the redevelopment of Goodison first and foremost as an Everton season ticket holder, but you can’t unless Everton make a commitment.

“If they want to come to the table, we’re always ready and willing.

“I’ve also been working behind the scenes on a joint Liverpool and Everton stadium. I’ve talked to the sports minister and to the NWDA and I’ve spoken to Bill Kenwright.

“We’re also opposing the Kirkby bid on planning grounds.”

Liverpool FC has planning permission for a new 61,000 stadium in Stanley Park but no work has started yet.

Fans have strongly opposed any joint stadium proposals.

Knowsley Council had hoped changes to the planned £400m joint Tesco/Everton development in Kirkby – including reducing the retail element by around 25% – would stop Liverpool Council object- ing to the project, but it seems that has been unsuccessful.

The more objections filed, the more likely it is that a time- consuming and possibly fatal “call-in” for government scrutiny will materialise.

Joe Anderson made his call for Liverpool to fight harder to keep Everton in the city as Knowsley planners prepare to assess the club’s Kirkby plans.

A report circulated to planning members suggests that the application could be seen in the early part of June.

The planning agenda for May 29 outlines a proposed change in procedure as a one-off mea- sure to accommodate the vast levels of interest in the plans.

The agenda sets out that any- one wishing to speak in the planning debate must give a response by June 5: “The plan- ning committee will meet shortly after that deadline to examine the proposals.”

But Cllr Anderson believes extending the footprint of Goodison Park is a viable alternative to relocation to Knowsley.

He said: “Liverpool Council owns some of the land surrounding Goodison Park and so we should be trying to negotiate with Everton about what can be done there.

“It’s a crazy situation. The city council is sitting back and letting a multi-million pound business move away from the city and not doing anything about it.

“Historically, this club has always been in the heart of Liverpool and my true belief is that this council should be negotiating with Everton Football Club to achieve a status to keep the club in the city.

“Everton needs a Plan B and we should be talking to them about that now.”

But Everton FC spokesman Ian Ross last night said the city had not come up with a viable alternative.

“We’ve always been open to approaches and negotiations with Liverpool City Council.: “Unfortu- nately (the city) have been un- able to put anything to us that in any way matches the current proposed Kirkby project.” “A wide variety of people have suggested the city council should come forward with a plan for us to look at but the simple truth is that they haven’t.

The Destination Kirkby plans have pro- ven so unpopular that 1,186 people have signed a Downing Street petition demanding the club’s planning application be called in by the Government.

The A total of 1,186 people have backed the submission attacks the proposals for breaking with Knowsley’s Unitary Development Plan.

However anti-stadium campaigners narrowly failed to win any seat at the recent local elections.

“I’ve also been working behind the scenes on a joint Liverpool and Everton stadium. I’ve talked to the sports minister and to the NWDA and I’ve spoken to Bill Kenwright.

I think he might have forgot about a key party in the people he's spoken to there.

As has been pointed out in many,many threads previously there certainly was, and surely still is despite rising costs, an overwhelming ECONOMIC argument for not groundsharing: i.e. the increased long-term revenue streams from a new stadium dwarf the short-term gain of only having to pay for half the ground.

If there's one thing that G&H seem to appreciate, it's the filthy lucre, so hopefully this can be put to bed. Again.

Plus, Everton can only afford the new stadium through the most generous efforts of Tesco. Why should Liverpool potentially endanger their future by taking up a huge loan with a club that don't have the proverbial pot to piss in?

After all, you wouldn't take out a mortgage with a tramp that you don't like, would you?

Edited by meredithmathieson

warren bradley is an embarrasment to the city of liverpool

he's a f***ing no mark

Absolute t*** isn't he?

So basically, they want to stay in the city but as they can't renovate the Woodyard we should bail them out and build a ground for them.

Get f***ed.

Edited by kop205

As has been pointed out in many,many threads previously there certainly was, and surely still is despite rising costs, an overwhelming ECONOMIC argument for not groundsharing: i.e. the increased long-term revenue streams from a new stadium dwarf the short-term gain of only having to pay for half the ground.

No particular axe to grind here but I've never fully accepted that argument which has been trotted out since the stadium was supposed to be costing £80 million.

They'd keep their match day revenue, we'd keep ours.

Someone mentioned Hotel revenue would have to be split - is a Hotel still part of the plans? I can't see it being a big money spinner regardless.

I think he might have forgot about a key party in the people he's spoken to there.

Heh...indeed.

Although, given his track record of balls-ups in such a short space of time, i bet a lucrative stadium share could, all of a sudden, be of interest to Hicks.

What the council SHOULD be doing (The useless tosspots) is engineering a scheme where Everton buy Anfield (To save a perfectly good, modern ground from being demolished) and Goodison Park is turned into a Park (With underground parking)

I know we're going to be (allegedly) playing in a new stadium a few years down the line, but Anfield holds so many memories and is so characteristic of the club that the prospect of them playing their home games there makes me feel sick.

And yes, i know they played there before we did, but still.

Shared stadium back on agenda in Liverpool

City council leader has backed a joint venture after Everton's planned move to Kirkby hits planning concerns

* Andy Hunter and Louise Taylor

* The Guardian,

* Wednesday May 28 2008

The leader of Liverpool city council has revived the prospect of a shared stadium between Everton and Liverpool following accusations that the authority has been compliant in the Goodison Park club's decision to relocate to Kirkby.

Warren Bradley, leader of the ruling Liberal Democrat party and an Everton season-ticket holder, has insisted a shared stadium remains a possibility despite fierce opposition from fans and, crucially, the two clubs. Liverpool dismissed the idea on the day Tom Hicks and George Gillett assumed control in February 2007 and are proceeding with plans for a new arena on Stanley Park. Everton, meanwhile, hope to move to a 55,000-seat stadium outside the city boundaries as part of a £400m retail development with Tesco.

Both plans, however, remain far from fruition, with Liverpool's scheme dependent on Hicks' ability to raise a further £300m in September and Everton's Kirkby move likely to collapse if called in by the government. The prospect of the latter scenario moved closer yesterday when Bradley confirmed Liverpool city council (LCC) would object to a huge retail development in Kirkby on planning grounds. Neighbouring authorities have also raised objections.

Everton have repeatedly claimed that LCC has been unable to match the financial package of Kirkby, or provide a viable alternative to Goodison.

"I'd back the redevelopment of Goodison but you can't unless Everton make a commitment. If they want to come to the table, we're always ready and willing," said Bradley. "I've also been working behind the scenes on a joint Liverpool and Everton stadium. I've talked to the sports minister and to the NWDA [Northwest Regional Development Agency] and I've spoken to [Everton's chairman] Bill Kenwright."

Guest Rafa's Receding Hairline

I would never go to a joint-Liverpool-Everton stadium...

And I'm sure you could count thousands with me.

"Innkeep! Innkeeper, open up I say, you have custom!"

The man knocked impatiently on the stout wooden door. His daughter sighed as she wearily left the carriage, it had been a long journey.

"Patience good sir I beg you! I shall attend to you anon". The muffled voice was accompanied by the sound of heavy bolts being drawn, yet when the door opened it was only by an inch, any further movement prevented by a heavy chain.

The traveller didn't know whether to be amused or offended. Such precautions suggested he had entered a vertiable war zone yet the region was peaceful and his journey, although tiring, had been without incident.

"By the Saints sir" he exclaimed,

"we are but weary travellers and mean you no harm! Open up I beg of ye"

The inkeeper looked warily from his doorway.

"A moment Good sir I beg of you. May I see your jerkin?"

"My jerkin? Good lord sir what has possessed you?" the man thundered, as his initial amusment changed to anger. As he prepared to tell the Innkeeper what he could do with his request he felt a soft touch on his shoulder.

"Father, please?" his daughter whispered, the fatigue as evident in her voice as her countenance. As ever he could not refuse her and he reluctantly loosened his topcoat and allowed the Innkeeper to see the red jerkin he wore beneath. The sound of the chain being removed was accompanied by a barrage of apologies from the Innkeeper.

"Thank you good sir, I most humbly beg your pardon and that of your good daughter. We weren't always like this, times were our hospitalitiy was the stuff of legend, alas, time change". The weary travellers followed the Innkeeper into a cosy bar area, with cheerful red walls wherein a dozen locals were engaged in quiet conversation. In the corner an old man was tunelessly picking at a lute. The travellers felt the wary eyes scanning their backs.

"I'm afraid we have but simple fayre here master, but our rooms are warms and clean." The Inkeeper was saying as the traveller turned from surveying the bar.

"That won't be neccesary, good sir, a warm meal is all we shall require of you. We must travel on to the castle this very night."

Abruptly the background conversation ceased. The old man plucked the lute so hard he broke a string and promptly dropped the instrument with a clatter. The Innkeeper gave a startled gasp and grabbed the man's arm fiercely. It was as if he'd drawn his sword and threatened the room with instant death.

"The Castle? Sir tell me true do you mean Castle Groundshare?"

The traveller laughed nervously.

"Why no my good fellow, It's name is Castle Bradley, Groundshare is but an old wives tale, if it ever really existed it died long ago."

The mood in the room had darkened. The Old man, bent to pick up his instrument and muttered something as he spat heartily into the open fire. The traveller, loosening the grip of the innkeep on his sleeve prepared to leave the bar and take his chances on food being available at Castle Bradley but before he could suggest as much the old man turned to them and pointed a gnarled finger at his daughter.

"Leave them be Jeremiah,' said a nearby local. "They'll find out soon enough".

"It never dies" said Jeremiah faintly, "you think its dead but it rises again, from the very depths of the grave does it rise!" His voice began to rise on volume "Go ye not to Castle Groundshare, listen not to the babblings of Count Bradley for he himself is in thrall to the evil"

"Father! What does this mean?" shrieked the frightened girl. "Are the rumours true? Does Groundshare really live once more?"

TBC