By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

YoYo teams

Guest Snorky

Guest Snorky

Should promoted teams to the Premiership be exempt from relegation in their first season ?

In Rugby the Catalans were exempt from relegation and I felt it helped them and the league in general.

With so many teams coming up from the Championship then going straight back down its becoming a bit of a farce.

Surely one season's grace for promoted teams would benefit everybody ?

Guest Snorky
Agreed, it would be massively unfair. In the context of this season, imagine if Fulham were sent packing and Derby got to stay up!

Win win for me :)

Agreed, it would be massively unfair. In the context of this season, imagine if Fulham were sent packing and Derby got to stay up!

Exactly. It would complete defeat the purpose of the relegation system would end up lowering the quality of teams in the league. This season it would mean that Reading, Fulham and Bolton (yay) go down and Derby, Birmingham and Sunderland all survive to gift 3 points to teams next year.

Exactly. It would complete defeat the purpose of the relegation system would end up lowering the quality of teams in the league. This season it would mean that Reading, Fulham and Bolton (yay) go down and Derby, Birmingham and Sunderland all survive to gift 3 points to teams next year.

It would also detract from a great achievement from the likes of Sunderland. They stayed up on merit, and s*** kickers like Birmingham can, quite frankly, go f*** themselves.

Should promoted teams to the Premiership be exempt from relegation in their first season ?

In Rugby the Catalans were exempt from relegation and I felt it helped them and the league in general.

With so many teams coming up from the Championship then going straight back down its becoming a bit of a farce.

Surely one season's grace for promoted teams would benefit everybody ?

Its a hard call. Some of the teams that have come up have been dross. I think matters are made much worse by the fact that 3 go down. I would like to see that reduced to 2 or even 1. This would give struggling teams longer in the division and more money to establish themselves.

This of course wont happen because of the money made from the play-offs etc.

How many teams this season did not get the magic 39pts?

It would also detract from a great achievement from the likes of Sunderland. They stayed up on merit, and s*** kickers like Birmingham can, quite frankly, go f*** themselves.

I agree on both counts.

Reading went down anyway and Fulham and Bolton nearly did.

They nearly did, but didn't. It was a great achievement by Fulham to dig themselves out of it. Birmingham had chances to escape but didn't and deserved to go down as a result. And I was willing Bolton to get relegated with every ounce of my being.

Guest Anders Honoré

I might see it with the winner of the championship getting a season of grace. All three would be too much though.

OK - so my memory is poor. Based on 38 game seasons & 3 pts for a win:

Yr P Pts Relegated champs

2008 38 36 Reading 87

2007 38 38 Sheff U 89

2006 38 34 Brum 91

2005 38 33 Palace 95

2004 38 33 Leicester 90

2003 38 42 WHU 83

2002 38 36 Ipswich 87

2001 38 34 Man C 80

2000 38 33 Wimbledon 91

1999 38 36 Charlton 79

1998 38 40 Bolton 78

1997 38 40 Sunderland 75

1996 38 38 Man C 82

Notice how the greater the points the champions have, the fewer that seem to be needed to stay up

Guest Scot
Bottom 6 play off.

Carnage in the close season...

Class that.

Maybe the team in 17th in a playoff against a team from the lower division, too.

Class that.

Maybe the team in 17th in a playoff against a team from the lower division, too.

I’d be thinking more along those lines…

From the championship

Top 2 up

Next 4 in the playoffs.

Winner of the playoffs vs 3rd from bottom of the prem.

Bottom 2 in the prem down.

The system is fine as it is.

If clubs were exempt from relegation for a season, they wouldn't have to try at all, knowing full well that they could simply get zero points and still collect two years worth of TV money.

Teams stay up on merit at the minute. Besides, I couldn't be arsed watching Derby humiliate themselves again next year.

Teams stay up on merit at the minute. Besides, I couldn't be arsed watching Derby humiliate themselves again next year.

Having watched the play off semis, I think your gonna see the exact same thing next year. Same s***, different team.