-
Posts
29,551 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Events
Articles
Gallery
Everything posted by Leo No.8
-
'The Frenchman' is far and away the nicest thing I could possibly say about Cisse at present. It's factually correct and makes no reference to his touch, attitude on the pitch or general footballing ability...
-
'Victor Deal is Off' Curses - what the blazes are our lovely Anfield boys going to do for a gung-ho second world war read now...
-
Quality Macca. You really should have a slot on Soccer AM...
-
Very impressive indeed - not difficult to see why he was in the running for the UEFA team of the year at right-back. Looked strong, comfortable on the ball and keen to push on. Totally agree a straight swap for Josemi looks ridiculously good business. Has anyone sounded them out on another straight swap involving Diao and Riquelme...
-
The Portsmouth fans are strong candidates for 'most moronic' in the UK. Two shocking tackles which brought justified bookings were followed by the injured parties being booed, and in the mark of truly classless fans Gerrard was booed for being good. I remember their 'finest hour', when they were still beating their drums and singing their moronic chants on the end of a 6-0 drubbing by Arsenal. My overpowering thought as they panned round the crowd wasn't 'aren't they great' but more along the lines of 'what a bunch of in-breds'...
-
I know many will have their doubts - but could anyone fail to be excited by Robbie returning? Having said that, Rafa hasn't signed him merely to please the fans. What has never been in doubt is that Robbie Fowler is a goalscorer of unsurpassed ability, the master of his art in that he can score with power, placement, chips, lobs, his head or either foot; you name it - in front of goal he can do it. Right now, our midfield is probably on a par with just about any in Europe, so I've been thinking recently that if there were ever a time for him to return it would be now. With Gerrard, Alonso, Garcia, Kewell et al, we've been creating so many chances, he could score an absolute hatful. In addition, we have two top class 'link' strikers in Crouch and Morientes - Fowler could again benefit hugely from their knock downs. I've said for ages I wouldn't have him back, but with the way things have been shaping up, I've become really keen on the idea since the move was mooted - it looks right from a football point of view. Rafa is no sentimentalist; yes, this move is one that will win the hearts of many fans, but when you look at it, we really can't lose a great deal so it makes financial sense, but most importantly it makes footballing sense when you look at our current squad; I can't wait to see what Robbie can do in the Rafa Benitez Liverpool side...
-
From what I've seen of him, the player I'd most liken Gonzalez to would probably be Overmars. Incredibly quick, quite direct and knows where the net is.
-
As soon as he walks out on the pitch I'm sure everyone will get behind him. They certainly should do anyway, I know I will. But on a football forum, the only thing you can do is call it how it is. It's not about 'get behind the lads' on a forum, its for exchanging opinions regarding players, the club etc. Getting behind the lads is what you do on matchday. I'm not afraid of sticking my neck out for a player others don't like - I said I had a feeling Kewell would do the business this season before it kicked off when he was number one hate figure and he's proving that right now. But I've always thought Kewell to be a great talent in almost every department - Cisse on the other hand isn't in my opinion, so if I said anything else I'd be lying; where's the point in coming onto an internet forum and pretending? I don't think I'd be alone in saying I've been doing my very best to kid myself Cisse was going to turn out brilliant, because in total honesty I was made up when we signed him - I thought he'd be great over here from what I'd seen of him. But yesterday I finally gave up and admitted to what I've known since about 5 games after his arrival - he's never in a million years a £14m footballer and will go down in the lists of 'disasterous' signings. I reckon a few have been doing that - kidding themselves the way I have. Well its time to wake up and smell the coffee.
-
Clearly you are incapable of making an alternative argument as to the merits of Cisse, which is why you keep on simply saying how awful this criticism is without actually contradicting it. I pronounce you the Djibril Cisse of the forum - full of good intentions but not trying hard enough and coming up with a sub-standard end product. We're not knee-jerking, merely accepting what has been pretty obvious for a good while now, following Cisse's abject display in one of the biggest games of the season. Should we instead cover our eyes and pretend he's playing really well?
-
Are you really that surprised to find Cisse coming in for a lot of criticism? It's all very well being high and mighty 'super fan' about it, support the lads and all that, but there is absolutely no defence for him. We may get behind our team through thick and thin but Liverpool fans are also praised for their knowledge, and if we don't call him s**** we'll be rendering our knowledge obsolete. If someone plays well they get credit, if they are crap they get criticised, end of. Yesterday Cisse: 1) Failed to get his body in when chasing balls played through or over the top for him. 2) Failed to hold the ball up at any stage of the game or distribute it effectively. 3) Gave the ball away in appalling fashion repeatedly after his team-mates had worked hard to win it back. 4) Missed one absolute sitter any striker worth £1.4m let alone £14m would have put away, and another decent chance where he demonstated a quite dazzling lack of a left foot not for the first time. It was a one-man show of footballing ineptitude. Cisse is a dreadful footballer, it hurts my eyes watching him play. I hate brainless footballers, and Cisse is the equivalent of a single-celled amoeba on the pitch. He flicks it when he should hold it up, shoots when he should pass and makes pointless runs into nowhere like Forrest bloody Gump. He looked great in France, but the simple fact is over here pace on its own isn't enough. We would have been equally well served by signing Dwaine Chambers - he could run fast and boot the ball over the bar as well. I actually like the guy as well - he's a great character. But f*ck me, he's Heskey with more pace and less strength and effort...
-
They are extra longs...
-
Has there EVER been a film better than the book it was based on?
Leo No.8 replied to Coyler 's topic in The Swanny
This content is not viewable to guests. -
We're signing Calvin Klein?
-
This content is not viewable to guests.
-
Fair enough PTC The way I see it is as I said in my previous post - everyone makes mistakes and has flaws in their game. What I think people have a problem with is those who choose to look at the negative when it isn't really fair to do so. A lot of the time I see people who choose to criticise midfielders like Garcia, comparing him in terms of what he can't do do Steven Gerrard. Thing is though, Gerrard is a freak (in the nicest possible way of course); he is perhaps the only footballer in the world game who doesn't have a weakness in his game. Yes, Ronaldinho is the best and will probably go down as one of the world greats, but he's not a great tackler! I'm not saying Gerrard is better than him, but to compare other players' against Stevie is unfair, because most footballers have areas they are exceptionally strong in, and areas they aren't. I do agree that if there is a part to Reina's game he can improve on it is his handling of crosses; after all he has spilled a few so I don't see how you can actually argue with that. But I think the main point is that over all, he has been absolutely exceptional this season and has a great effect on the defenders in front of him. In light of how much Reina has given this season, I think people just believe everyone should be focusing on the very many positives than the very few negatives. Oh and Khanee, I have prosthetic implants since losing all my fingers in the discussion as to whether Gerard Houllier should go. It was a bad time for many of us, but for those addicted to lengthy posts, there were even more serious ramifications. You can give a donation at www.ivegotverbaldiahorrea.com...
-
This content is not viewable to guests.
-
Think he got a couple when Sami got sent off didn't he? Didn't he score with the resulting pen...
-
This content is not viewable to guests.
-
This content is not viewable to guests.
-
In answer to the original question - pies, and lots of them...
-
'Throw in Djimi as well' You are Arsene Wenger in a thinly veiled attempt to scupper our Walcott bid, and I claim my £5...
-
Cech has dropped a couple this season as well - it happens. Even the greatest keepers aren't robots, and when they do something wrong it often results in a goal. I'm sure Buffon has made mistakes too, although I don't see Juve games every week so I couldn't say for sure. I don't think 'you' will be able to put Reina in the top bracket of keepers until you remind yourself every goalkeeper makes the odd mistake. The finest keeper I've known in my time watching football has been Schmeichel, and like everyone he made mistakes; usually though he'd blame someone else and carry on doing things exactly the same. I said early on in the season I believed Reina's confidence would separate him from our keepers of the last decade, and to me it looks as though that will prove to be exactly right. Dudek, James, Westerveld were all capable of turning into gibbering wrecks if they made a mistake; Reina on the other hand just gets on with doing what he does. At the end of the day mate, you basically said he was crap before we bought him; its time to hold your hands up and say 'I was wrong on this one'. If he goes 'Dudek' on us then I'll do the same, but I believe his mental strength will ensure it doesn't happen.
-
It seems he's got a pre-contract agreement with Southampton to sign his first pro deal with them, so I don't think waiting is an option.
-
Everyone who is saying "£12m is crazy money" is totally missing the point surely. It only becomes £12m if he turns into a superstar, in which case his actual value will probably be double that and more. If he doesn't live up to his potential, we probably only pay half that quoted sum and still get a fee when we sell him on. It isn't anything like as big a risk as if we were paying £12m up front, so its unfair to paint it that way. Personally I hope we match Arsenal's offer - I think this kid'll be a huge star and he's a red to boot...
