By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

A load of observations from today

New York Red

That was the first match in ages I've been able to sit down quietly and watch without the kids going crazy around me.

I thought our aggression in attacking the ball in the first half in particular was superb. We were half a pace faster than Newcastle and far more committed. We were winning everything. It was like men against boys.

The other side of the coin is that Newcastles marking was atrocious. That's not to knock us at all, but they were really, really poor.

Owen looked to me like that depressed "not-give-a-sh*t" guy who seemed to be on the field for us in his last season at LFC. No desire, no joy, no fight at all. What I can say is this right now. Even if we wanted him, I can't see where he would fit in for us. His style just doesn't look to fit in with us any more.

I'm really happy with how Kewell is coming along. He's improving all the time and it is as if we have signed a new player. Stevie is in the form of his life. Simply wonderful, and he makes everyone else better. Morientes was great today also, as was the big man. Some sublime touches from Crouchy. Garcia however really disappoints me. He was by far the weakest link out there for us today. He is incredibly wasteful.

What can I say about the Toon? They were just horrible. Their back line is an absolute joke. I can't believe that I actually thought Boumsong was a good player a few years back. He is absolutely terrible. His partner Bramble actually had a good game by his standards, but was very poor also. I actually feel bad for him sometimes. That kid Ramage reminds me of Chris Kirkland by the way. Shay Given is superb though. Maybe it's because he is getting tested all the time and is on his toes constantly. he may be different with more sporadic work. But, today he was great.

Souey is awful. A miserable tw*t who doesn't know what he's doing. He was a great player for sure and I loved him when he was on the field for us. But, on the sidelines? No thanks. His starting line-up was a joke. His players are just a a bunch thrown together, they aren't a team at all.

A few last observations. Shearer must really regret going there. He really wasted his career. He's a good player, always gives everything. But, he got hooked up with a really sh*t club who don't know what they are doing. Us on the other hand, are just making me happy as hell. I just wish we had the opportunity to play Chelsea at Anfiled again. I think we'd give them a hammering.

I'm just not sure where we should spend in January, we're that good!

my favourite bit of the day was the commentator refering to Bramble and saying he was really playing well and looking to retain his place...

Just as he hit a pass that would have covered half of Stanley Park were it not for the Main Stand.

1127666[/snapback]

or boumsong blocking Shearers shot on goal and the comm saying that it was the best defending he'd done all day

Today was a good match by us and Newcastle were poor apart from Given. Harry Kewell did a few good tricks and all was well. I believe Newcastle would be much better off with another manager than Souness, their squad isn't that poor , is it?

Guest Les Howard

Best touch of the match was Crouch's cushioned lay-off for Stevie for the first goal.

It's something that has been worked on as it's not the first time that Stevie has burst onto the second ball after a sweet lay-off from Crouch.

Garcia was tops today, v. unlucky with a number of the things he tried to pull off. Can't understand why people are on his back after today's game... must be the TV-view?

1127807[/snapback]

He got into position well on a number of occasions but just squandered the ball. very disappointing effort in my book.

Best touch of the match was Crouch's cushioned lay-off for Stevie for the first goal.

It's something that has been worked on as it's not the first time that Stevie has burst onto the second ball after a sweet lay-off from Crouch.

1127711[/snapback]

as shown in stevie's reaction after his goal, jumping on crouchy's back. crouchy seems to be becoming stevie's boy, gerrard flying in to defend crouchy from shearer in that little brouhaha.

as shown in stevie's reaction after his goal, jumping on crouchy's back.  crouchy seems to be becoming stevie's boy, gerrard flying in to defend crouchy from shearer in that little brouhaha.

1127815[/snapback]

Let's face it, how can you not like him? He seems to be such a nice bloke. I'm not surprised that he seems to be so popular.

Shearer doesn't regert goingb there - it's his hometown club where he was once a ball boy - I have nothing but praise for him in choosing them as it's what any local boy made good should do given the choice.

Owen on the other hand...I felt that when he came out today, for the first time it really hit him he was in the wrong kit at the wrong place and that 'what have I done?' moment finally caught him despite all the recent press platitudes.

Our passing and desire was crisp and sharp, movement multi-layered and difficult to track, tempo high and skill of a high level. I have heard people say this before but until now have not joined in - we are beginning to look like a more athletic version of Rafa's best Valencia side. This bodes well.

Sounds silly but the passion to stifle them was exp-lified, for me, on at least two occasions in the 2nd half when we pressed their left side at their throw ins. Newcastle went backwards and we hounded them, they went backwards more and we hounded them. I think we ended up with a corner or throw in near the corner flag, which we duly wasted, but we pushed them way back and gave them no time nor space in a game we were controlling and winning 2-0

they are truly gash though

poor Geordies, i dont hate them, they do deserve a better manager than souness, the most tactically inept in the premiership, you`d think chairmen would cop on, he`s f***ed every club he`s been with up, including us :angry:

as for our play yesterday, holy s***, we where scary, how hot are we right now, i dont wanna go on a mad one with the derby tomorrow, but jesus christ, thats the best ive seen us play since the late 80`s :o

the little squabble as well showed our team spirit, and i was as chuffed as anyone else to see our CAPTAIN defending his players :applause:

cant wait for the derby now :D

Edited by chrisbonnie

jesus christ, thats the best ive seen us play since the late 80`s  :o

1128474[/snapback]

Wouldn't go that far.

Think we played even better against Newcastle when Anelka was at the club (the game where there was a powercut).

Was a brilliant performance though.

Guest PaulMcC
they are truly gash though

poor Geordies, i dont hate them, they do deserve a better manager than souness, the most tactically inept in the premiership, you`d think chairmen would cop on, he`s f***ed every club he`s been with up, including us  :angry:

as for our play yesterday, holy s***, we where scary, how hot are we right now, i dont wanna go on a mad one with the derby tomorrow, but jesus christ, thats the best ive seen us play since the late 80`s  :o

the little squabble as well showed our team spirit, and i was as chuffed as anyone else to see our CAPTAIN defending his players  :applause:

cant wait for the derby now  :D

1128474[/snapback]

Do you think that wa sbetter than when we destroyed Newcastle a few years ago with Owen Heskey and Anelka on the pitch?

Do you think that wa sbetter than when we destroyed Newcastle a few years ago with Owen Heskey and Anelka on the pitch?

1128476[/snapback]

ok, im probably going a little to far

but it seems that every game is like that for us now, thats the really crazy bit, you must admit, we havent looked this good since them, in an all round basis, not just on 1 game

Guest PaulMcC
ok, im probably going a little to far

but it seems that every game is like that for us now, thats the really crazy bit, you must admit, we havent looked this good since them, in an all round basis, not just on 1 game

1128485[/snapback]

That's true, we look awesome at the minute. And according to Rafa we have a long way to go in terms of improving. I think we are the best in England at the minute.