By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Computer Coding/Programming for children.

Case

I'd imagine your best bet would be to transition into a programming job internally where the dev stuff you've done counts and allows you to then look outside your current employer when you have a coding job title. Most places the line between managerial and technical staff is clearly marked and the company I work for would generally be reticent about hiring someone trying to go from a managerial role to a technical one.

Also any certification you can get, whether in actual coding or development methodologies, will help.

Coding is something that is happily in my past but there's lots of coders out there and the market seems very competitive even an entry level position is going to be tough without the relevant BSc, experience, qualifications etc.

In my dealing with off shore teams, the quality is s**** and actually the cost is not that much cheaper than in house development.

Especially when you factor in the re-work needed.

I've had loads of contracts fixing the mess caused by off shore development.

It's a nice little earner, terence

BTW, I'm hiring and will provide a visa and some relocation costs if any of you know decent developers (especially good java devs).

Age limit?

If any of you have a Apple Mac, I'd suggest downloading X-Code where you can develop Apps for iPhones. Then, there's the following site... http://www.raywenderlich.com

There is a good mix of beginner to advanced tutorials there. Although some of the tutorials are out of date (the copies I have). This is due to them being written in Objective-C but the latest version of X-code is based on the Swift language.
This is just something I've looked at for a bit of fun. I deal more with SQL, PL/SQL in my day-to-day job but nowadays don't get much of a chance to write code.

Was going to suggest the Kano OS as well.

Is your boy not even interested in Minecraft Case? That seems to be a good gateway to exploring coding/game infrastructure.

Hi mate - Sorry for the late reply - Yes, he does like Minecraft (in Creative rather than, as he calls it 'Scary' mode), but he'll only play it for half an hour and then go build 'real' minecraft in Lego or similar. The early days of game coding were making 2d blocks 'move', and Minecraft seems to be a logical extension of that.

I LOVED SQL-Server. Was my starting route up through coding to junior manager/Dev Manager/ Manager then Head of IT for one company. In the end I worked myself back down the levels to write SQL again for the last two years of my career in IT and they were almost as happy as my salad days in the 90's / early 2000's.

It's just like the footie innit? - Management of Developers / DB Experts doesn't touch the buzz of being one yourself.

I'd imagine your best bet would be to transition into a programming job internally where the dev stuff you've done counts and allows you to then look outside your current employer when you have a coding job title. Most places the line between managerial and technical staff is clearly marked and the company I work for would generally be reticent about hiring someone trying to go from a managerial role to a technical one.

Also any certification you can get, whether in actual coding or development methodologies, will help.

Coding is something that is happily in my past but there's lots of coders out there and the market seems very competitive even an entry level position is going to be tough without the relevant BSc, experience, qualifications etc.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll start researching some qualifications and certifications and take it from there.

If you can get yourself involved with a decent open source project then that looks good on your CV.

I'm assuming that the Java game I wrote involving a mate running naked through the countryside doesn't count.

Thanks for the tip though, I'll work towards that.

• 5 months later...

Hi all. Just a quick update on this old thread.

Having volunteered through Code Club - Thanks Funny -, next Monday, I'm running a taster session to programming at two local schools and in August (when schools restart up here), I'll be running an hour a week after school club.

Scratch, HTML, Python and (not formally on the couse, but..) ...a bit of Sinlair Basic on one of the many Spectrum emulators for Windows.

• 6 years later...
On 12/12/2015 at 10:38, Case said:

Back in the day, early 80's, I had a Sinclair zx 80 (then 81). At the time, there were magazines you could buy where you could copy and write code in a language called zx-basic (I think) where you could create simple games.

A little later in life, I was involved in writing a game called 'Surf Champ' for the Spectrum. Sold a few copies, was innovative for its time (but actually crap)

http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/articles/surfchamp.htm

My son is now 8, and he has very little interest in playing computer games, but he's constantly asking if he can make one.

I'm way out if the loop these days, and while I will Bing and see what I can find, can anyone recommend any appropriate resources / websites my lad and I can access?

Thanks, etc.

I was going to come on and ask almost exactly this about my 8 year old lad. So, @Casehow did the coding with your lad go, and is all of the above still relevant? I'm coming at it from a different place from Case as my lad loves computer games and I have no experience of coding at all, unless you count '10 print "whatever"; 20 goto 10' etc

(Also bittersweet to see Swan Red's typically useful responses, as per with any old thread)

On 14/12/2015 at 19:32, Swan Red said:

What a guy Swan Red was. I literally followed this advice and achieved exactly what I was trying to achieve by doing so. Thank you Vic. I didn't know you, but your advice changed my life.

• Love 5