By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Quite proud of myself

Sir Tokyo Sexwale

Ran my 11th and final race of the year on Sat (the Villa game was a f***ing comedown). This was 15k, but I've done a variety of distances from 5 miles to half-marathon. In the 18 months since I got properly back into it & competing again I've taken 20 mins off my half-marathon time (admittedly the 1st one I ran I was totally unprepared for) and have racked up pretty consistent times.

The NYRR has an 'age grading' system, which is like a handicap, so it gives you your age-graded time which I assume means the playing field is levelled & you can compare yourself with, say a 22 year-old, and also an AG % so I think that means you can compare your performance across distances.

Not going to run a full-marathon but definitely up for more of the same next year with a load of goals & PB's targeted

well done :)

getting slightly into it myself. did my first ever race in november (15k) and now preparing for a half marathon in march. it's good to see progression, started out with a 10k time of over an hour, now i'm under 50 minutes and aiming for 45

well done :)

getting slightly into it myself. did my first ever race in november (15k) and now preparing for a half marathon in march. it's good to see progression, started out with a 10k time of over an hour, now i'm under 50 minutes and aiming for 45

10k is a right b*****d. I always go in a bit nonchalant because I do longer distances & then go out way too fast & struggle home. Did one in Queens (in fecking July) and started on row 3, right up with the super-fast guys, went through mile 1 in under 6 mins. Fell away badly at the end

every year I ask on here if people fancy the Liverpool 10k

and every year I get laughed at, indeed derided for being a divvy

so I know it's a long way to go until September but perhaps some of you fancy tying your NY resolutions in with an actual target

it finishes in Aigburth, so afterwards we can hit the Lane and get f***ing slaughtered thumb.gif

good work Macca btw

Edited by Molby

Part of the reason I do it - race - is because it gives some purpose to lonely hours toiling the streets. A guy here, at my work, took up kickboxing a while ago. He fights competitively, same reason - it gives him a goal, a target or whatever. Otherwise if he wasn't in the mood to train, he just wouldn't bother. That's how it is with me. And once you have one ort a couple under your belt, you have a time you want to gun for, to beat. And so on.

so I know it's a long way to go until September but perhaps some of you fancy tying your NY resolutions in with an actual target

it finishes in Aigburth, so afterwards we can hit the Lane and get f***ing slaughtered thumb.gif

good work Macca btw

I would be up for doing that

I've always wanted to get fit enough to run a bit, so if I said yes to this the incentive would be to train and not to look a t*** infront of everyone on here wouldn't it ?

yes, it's a doddle

the hardest part is getting changed; take DH: he used to be an enormous 12-sandwich-eating-motherf*****

I used to say "let's go for a run and get fit" and he'd answer: "no need 'cos I've got these new low-fat snack treats" or "no need 'cos I've been reading up about smoking and it's not actually that bad for you"

and yet now he runs about 20-50k per week...maybe more

anyway, my handy fact sheet (including free internet support) should make sure you are ready, come the big day

I would be up for doing that

good

as I said: afterwards we get slaughtered

good work Macca btw

I'll do it

I'm in. You do a sensational pep talk Molby. I'm going to start off with that couch to 5k app tomorrow.

And when I say, couch to 5k, I'm not sure if I'm up to the couch stage yet. I quite often have afternoon naps like a f***ing pensioner. This will do me the world of good.

Edited by Tony Le Mesmer

good work Macca btw

I did it a couple of years ago and recommend it - was enjoyable

I've run 350 miles this year. Should have been more, but stuff like drinking heavily at football matches gets in the way. Especially now I'm 45.

I won't do races, I prefer the lonely solitude.

Just me and the road, man.

PS. Good effort Macca

damn you Tommy, you maddening, impossible man

Remember, action comes before motivation.

trans mensum corpum amatum est

I prefer Half Marathon's to 10K's any day of the week. Took up running once my calf muscles popped and couldn't play football any more. I prefer trail and x-country races to road, but I'd be well up for the 10K in Liverpool next September.

Do you run road races only, Macca?

Ran my 11th and final race of the year on Sat (the Villa game was a f***ing comedown). This was 15k, but I've done a variety of distances from 5 miles to half-marathon. In the 18 months since I got properly back into it & competing again I've taken 20 mins off my half-marathon time (admittedly the 1st one I ran I was totally unprepared for) and have racked up pretty consistent times.

The NYRR has an 'age grading' system, which is like a handicap, so it gives you your age-graded time which I assume means the playing field is levelled & you can compare yourself with, say a 22 year-old, and also an AG % so I think that means you can compare your performance across distances.

Not going to run a full-marathon but definitely up for more of the same next year with a load of goals & PB's targeted

Nice going.

I love running, but with work and family, I find it difficult to find the time to run for prolonged periods of time, so I don't know if I can ever put the sort of training required to do 15k and half marathons. There are low-key monthly 5k runs not far from where I live, so I've been training for those and did my first one in October (stupidly the next one was scheduled for Thanksgiving day...).

Looking forward to doing more, and trying to break new times in the new year. Annoyingly got ill a few weeks ago, and have found it really hard to get back into the routine and post the sort of times I was able to do before...

Edited by Zoob

tuesday : 1 hour

thursday : 1 hour

sunday : 1.5 - 2 hours

that's all it takes for a half marathon, for 10k you could do it in less

f*** off with your one size fits all approach :angry:

Worried about this now. I think my legs might have become slightly disabled.