By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Got a couple of weekends in Joburg

The Hitman

Got myself on a 3 week job in Johannesburg so have a couple of weekends free.Would like to go to Kruger or Cspe Stown but not sure if I have the time or money to do either properly.Would need to leave on Friday night after work,and getting back in Joburg on Sunday night.

Wanted to do something fun like shark cage diving.

Any Saffers got any suggestions/recommendations for me?

Got myself on a 3 week job in Johannesburg so have a couple of weekends free.Would like to go to Kruger or Cspe Stown but not sure if I have the time or money to do either properly.Would need to leave on Friday night after work,and getting back in Joburg on Sunday night.

Wanted to do something fun like shark cage diving.

Any Saffers got any suggestions/recommendations for me?

Cape Town is a great place, loads of good stuff to do around there, really stunning beaches, speedboat trips out of the docks are brilliant. Kruger park in 2 days is a bit short TBH, you wouldn't do it justice.

Don't agree with the shark cage diving, it's causing lots of problems for the sharks and surfers and swimmers.

If you are in Joburg and can only get away on weekends then head to Sun City and the Pilanesburg. It is only a couple of hours west of Joburg. Sun City is a bit less tasteful than Sodom and Gomorrah, but the Pilanesburg Game Reserve is excellent and you can see some decent wildlife in there.

Cape Town or the Kruger for a weekend is madness.

If very, very short on time, the Krugersdorp game reserve isn't actually that bad and that is only an hour west of Joburg.

I don't know what the Union Buildings are like these days up in Pretoria, but that was worth a visit once upon a time for the rugby ball sized pine cones if nothing else.

Seems fine thus far,but staying right by the Stock Exchange which seems to be fairly safe,if utterly characterless and dead really!

Might try the Drskensberg mountains then,or one of those other reserves mentioned.

Keep em coming,thanks all.

Its about a 4-5 hour drive to Kruger from Joburg. The Kruger dosn't admit people after dusk so realistically, if you're going on a Friday you'll have to travel lunchtime latest, if youre going Saturday, you'll need to set off very early to make the most of it.

Staying in a lodge with safari drives is a fantastic experience but it can be expensive. I went from Friday evening to Sunday lunchtime - the stay included 3 drives and two walking safaris and all meals and it was about £400-£450. It was a top end lodge mind but at least you get an idea of the scale. And I was lent a car for the weekend so there was no car hire included - it could be even more expensive if you needed to do that as well.

But I repeat - it is a fantastic experience.

Seems fine thus far,but staying right by the Stock Exchange which seems to be fairly safe,if utterly characterless and dead really!

Might try the Drskensberg mountains then,or one of those other reserves mentioned.

Keep em coming,thanks all.

The Amphitheatre is quality.

That's it in the background, forming the border with Lesotho.

zulu3.jpg

Balls,looks like my colleagues really want to go to Sun City this weekend,rather than those mountains.It'll be 'fun' apparently.

The mountains look miles better,I've been to Vegas a few times and wasn't its biggest fan.

Should I sack the pair of them off and just go to the mountains alone?

Balls,looks like my colleagues really want to go to Sun City this weekend,rather than those mountains.It'll be 'fun' apparently.

The mountains look miles better,I've been to Vegas a few times and wasn't its biggest fan.

Should I sack the pair of them off and just go to the mountains alone?

You should go alone into the mountains.

One refuses to drink more than two glasses of wine as she gets too drunk,and won't shut up about how she's struggling to get married due to her £100k dowry.

How much fun would realistically be had in a South African Vegas with someone like that.

If you are in Joburg and can only get away on weekends then head to Sun City and the Pilanesburg. It is only a couple of hours west of Joburg. Sun City is a bit less tasteful than Sodom and Gomorrah, but the Pilanesburg Game Reserve is excellent and you can see some decent wildlife in there.

I did both of these when I was there an it was boss

Pilansberg is awesome.