By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The Forgotten Treble?

Cliff M

Has our UEFA Cup, FA Cup, League Cup Treble disappeared into the mists of time? Did we really win it? Have the media brushed it away? You'd think, listening to sky, that the only history happened within the last year!

That was a fabulous season, Went to almost all home games and a lot of away games and enjoyed the success more than any other season I've ever enjoyed since '72.

Has our UEFA Cup, FA Cup, League Cup Treble disappeared into the mists of time? Did we really win it? Have the media brushed it away? You'd think, listening to sky, that the only history happened within the last year!

That was a fabulous season, Went to almost all home games and a lot of away games and enjoyed the success more than any other season I've ever enjoyed since '72.

It was an absolutely extraordinary season with an extraordinary finale

but of course we only got the treble because we were extremely lucky

ergo it doesn't really count

Fact is we dont get credit maybe because we are not sexy

I enjoyed that season a lot. One of the reasons I've never much liked the vitriol directed at Houllier. I missed out on our title winning years, so I was just grateful to bloody win something.

...and winning 3 somethings, in the same season, is better still

At first I thought you were on about the League, EC and League Cup in the 80s, which I don't remember, but aye 2001 was fecking brilliant.

The emotions of each cup were so different. Funnily enough, the League Cup was probably the best I felt, in that it seemed like it was the start of something big and it was the most 'orthodox' of our cup wins that year. The FA Cup was pure surprise and unexpected joybased on how the game had gone, and - rightly or wrongly - I just assumed we'd walk past Alaves so the UEFA Cup was more relief than anything.

In fact if you go from that season onwards we've won:

2 FA Cups

2 League Cups

1 UEFA Cup

1 European Cup

2 European Super Cups

2 Charity Shields

and come:

Runners up in the League

Runners up in the League Cup

Runners up in the European Cup

We all want the league title but even so, we've won more in the last 8 years then some clubs have managed in their history.

Guest Linton
In fact if you go from that season onwards we've won:

2 FA Cups

2 League Cups

1 UEFA Cup

1 European Cup

2 European Super Cups

2 Charity Shields

and come:

Runners up in the League

Runners up in the League Cup

Runners up in the European Cup

We all want the league title but even so, we've won more in the last 8 years then some clubs have managed in their history.

Agreed. That season was something but was absolutely blown away when we won the CL 2005. That was so unbelivable I don't think we will ever live to see anything like it again. It's a bit like when Cartman meets "The Asspeople". Southparkfans do know what I mean... :)

ah those were the days our fans were respectful and did not consider success as their divine right.. i remember queing from 6 in the morning for the Barca semi.. went to nearly all home games.. I think I enjoyed going to games then more than the last few seasons..

Arhh the halcyon days with no strife....

That season cost me a small fortune and my bank account took a right hammering.

Did all the home and away games in league/domestic cups and home UEFA cup games plus got to go to the semi in Barca and the final in Dortmund as well as 3 trips to Cardiff incl the Charity Shield at the beginning of the 2001/02 season.

Those 7 heady days in May culminating in winning 4-0 at Charlton to finish 3rd in the PL on a beautiful sunny day is something I will never forget, nor the awesome atmosphere from the fans during this week.

Those 7 heady days in May culminating in winning 4-0 at Charlton to finish 3rd in the PL on a beautiful sunny day is something I will never forget, nor the awesome atmosphere from the fans during this week.

I watched that game in Baa Bar and there were loads of fellas in there with their Alaves shirts on

ah those were the days our fans were respectful and did not consider success as their divine right.. i remember queing from 6 in the morning for the Barca semi.. went to nearly all home games.. I think I enjoyed going to games then more than the last few seasons..

Amen brother

Buzz and I took a Chelsea fan to the Chelsea Worthie Cup game that year - poor sod really suffered :D

And then there was the Palace game with Clinton Morrison :lol:

Amen brother

Buzz and I took a Chelsea fan to the Chelsea Worthie Cup game that year - poor sod really suffered :D

And then there was the Palace game with Clinton Morrison :lol:

That game was brilliant. Wish I could find highlights of it on youtube or somewhere but alas not.

:rolleyes:

Guest Rafa's Receding Hairline

The emotions I felt that year are nothing compared to what I felt in Istanbul.

All the cups we won under Houllier are nothing next to the European Cup.

I enjoyed that season a lot. One of the reasons I've never much liked the vitriol directed at Houllier. I missed out on our title winning years, so I was just grateful to bloody win something.

Me too. For young pups like us those were indeed the days.

And is it just me or was it stupidly easy to get a ticket for the UEFA cup final?

I'm another one that is never comfortable with the moaning that comes from some quarters about Houllier - if that year (not just the treble but 5 trophies in 5 months) had happened at almost any other club, he'd be a legend and have a stand named after him. It might be a weird thing to say but he had the great misfortune to manage that achievement at out club.

Awesome season. I'll certainly never forget it.

Just kept getting better from January onwards. Destroying Palace, win at Roma, Worthington Cup final, FA Cup game at Leeds, double over Mancs, knocking out Barca, Gary Mac derby, Owen's incredible run of form, the FA Cup final, the UEFA Cup final, Fowler's great double at Charlton.

My first real experience of us winning anything. Superb.