By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Gerrard interview

Boca

That's Carra and now Gerrard coming out publicly to ask the owners to back the manager.

STEVEN GERRAD is determined to win the title before the end of his career – and will stay at Liverpool to achieve it.

As yet another season slips by without the championship crown going to Anfield, the captain is growing increasingly frustrated by the club’s inability to launch a geniune challenge.

In the Premier League era, Liverpool have only been in the top two once, when they finished seven points behind champions Arsenal as runners-up in 2002.

But Gerrard, who turns 28 this month, is confident that he will be around when the club finally closes the gap at the top and lands that first league win since 1990.

“I can’t see myself ever leaving Liverpool now, and what I would dearly love is to lead this club to the next level that I believe we are capable of reaching,” he said.

“I’ve won trophies here but there’s one I’m missing and I want that before I finish playing.

“I don’t want to look back and say I have never been in a title race. I can see that the team is getting stronger and stronger and I can see that we are going forward. I feel that we are getting closer and I really believe that.”

While Gerrard is wary that the team failed to live up to the expectation that was built up last summer with the club record signing of Fernando Torres, he thinks this summer’s signings will be even more vital to the club’s long-term direction.

“We always say this every year, but it will be an important summer because we need to keep the momentum,” said Gerrard.

“The manager’s signings will be important as they always are.

“I’ve been lucky as a footballer, and I’ve won more things that most players, but I’m greedy because I always want more – I want to win as many trophies as I can with Liverpool.

“That is why the summer is important.

“We are a young team with a lot of promise and if the manager can get the right support then we could take an important step forward.

“I don’t want to get into the politics of it all, but the manager knows what he needs, and we all know that we do have the chance this summer to go to that next level.

“We are disappointed we didn’t maintain a challenge in the league for longer than we did – the points gap between us and the top two isn’t particularly pleasant viewing for anyone here at Anfield. The boss is on record as saying he wants some players, and if we get some of the ones he wants then if they can have the same impact that guys like Fernando Torres, Martin Skrtel and Ryan Babel have had this year we’ll have taken a step forward.

“I think there is a hell of a lot more to come from us.”

That's Carra and now Gerrard coming out publicly to ask the owners to back the manager.

“I don’t want to look back and say I have never been in a title race." - Steven Gerrard

"A 'title challenge' means nothing at the end of the day." - MFletcher

:D

have you got a dictionary definition of what a 'title challenge' means there Cobs?

no but i know it when i see it - Arsenal had one this season if that helps you.....

if gerrard's never been in one, i wonder where all the expectation comes from?

from being Liverpool Football Club

Edited by Cobs

no but i know it when i see it - Arsenal had one this season if that helps you.....

have they challenged any more than we did in 02/03. arsenal lost 4-0 to united in the fa cup in february and to me it was clear as early as then that they weren't equipped to win the league. the only sides to really challenge have been chelsea and united.

considering there's still a challenge going on for the title can someone explain to me how Arsenal have challenged for it?.. i didn't get this the other week when people said it too..

their challenge ended last week

Guest Ant
hardly??

Arsenal's expectations were not to be 3rd and out of the CL in the qtrs...

Considering they where meant finish 5th below Spurs, and have no impact whatsoever in the CL...

They have done well, much better than us in comparison.

Considering they where meant finish 5th below Spurs, and have no impact whatsoever in the CL...

They have done well, much better than us in comparison.

yeah - some t*** made that forecast that spurs were gonna be great! now that's a laugh. I'm sure those at Arsenal expected to win the league and compete to win the CL

Ask any Arsenal fan are they happy with this season and the answer would be no

They are a few points ahead of us, played better football at times, but doing 'much better' than us isn't a fair comment

So it's only over if its mathematically over is it?

not necessarily

it doesn't have a dictionary definition, it's not maths as such - otherwise you could say Derby challenged for the title

Gerrard doesn't think we've challenged for the title while he's been there and i'd have to agree with him - i'm sure someone could point out a League table where we ended up 7 or 9 points behind but i don't think we were ever really in the mix to win it. Playing pressure games with your rivals vying for top spot through the latter part of the season. i think we've had some good finishes to the season but they followed collapses in the middle which effectively knocked us out of the race.

Guest Ant

I'm not sure what Arsenal Fans would want, but from an outsiders perspective they done better than they should have done.

IMO Liverpool are better than Arsenal, but look who ended up above who?

Guest Ant
not necessarily

it doesn't have a dictionary definition, it's not maths as such - otherwise you could say Derby challenged for the title

Gerrard doesn't think we've challenged for the title while he's been there and i'd have to agree with him - i'm sure someone could point out a League table where we ended up 7 or 9 points behind but i don't think we were ever really in the mix to win it. Playing pressure games with your rivals vying for top spot through the latter part of the season. i think we've had some good finishes to the season but they followed collapses in the middle which effectively knocked us out of the race.

I still think we challenged for in 2001/2002 season.

Granted our season dipped around December/January but we where in it up until about 2-3 weeks before the end but we lost Away to Spurs.

Agree with that. I'd say our only serious Premiership title challenge came in 96-7, even though we ended up 4th.

I still think we challenged for in 2001/2002 season.

Granted our season dipped around December/January but we where in it up until about 2-3 weeks before the end but we lost Away to Spurs.

just a constant game of chase with Arsenal's invincibles - never got near them, never looked likely to

maybe that's why Gerrard's overlooked it

maybe i'm being harsh :hmm:

Agree with that. I'd say our only serious Premiership title challenge came in 96-7, even though we ended up 4th.

The people on here who say Arsenal haven't challenged this year because they're finishing 3rd surely won't agree that we challenged in a season where we finished 4th :hmm:

Guest Ant
The people on here who say Arsenal haven't challenged this year because they're finishing 3rd surely won't agree that we challenged in a season where we finished 4th :hmm:

HELLO AND WELCOME TO YNWA.TV