By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

What if the worst..............

Guest Mongewell

Guest Mongewell

Despite my desire for a win on Wednesday night, (I will be there) and looking forward to Moscow against those fine boys from Barca, what if the worst happens and we don't make it through against the Chavs? In all probability, whilst a 6th title would be magnificent, defeat in the final would probably be an acceptable outcome for the season. We’ve demonstrated our loyalty to Rafa this season, who has continued to manage in the face of considerable adversity from the boardroom wrangles but when we stand back from this admirable loyalty, do we see a measurable improvement for the next campaign? For ever, the benchmark will always be Man Utd, just as we are for them so if we look at their team, it’s age and talent, do we consider our’s to have similar potential for any time during the next 2 seasons?

It’s difficult to express an opinion here without vicarious criticism but the performance on Saturday from a team with a great deal to repay to its loyal fans, after yet another indifferent season prompts me to ask the question, will it soon be time for a change, IF we fail on Wednesday night?

It’s difficult to express an opinion here without vicarious criticism but the performance on Saturday from a team with a great deal to repay to its loyal fans, after yet another indifferent season prompts me to ask the question, will it soon be time for a change, IF we fail on Wednesday night?

No.

If we lose, we'll take it on the chin. We can't get to the European Cup Final every year and Rafa can't account for Riise's moment of madness.

As for the league, we've secured fourth and Rafa easily deserves another shot to see what he can do with a settled club.

I can't see us winning the game.

Score draw maybe ending in penos.

I'll be the first to admit I totally lost patience with Rafa half way through the season and I thought the crap that started with our knob-end owners deflected away a lot of criticism that what deserved. However he has turned things round to a degree, given us some more magical moments in the CL and as usual we've gone on a good late run in the league. I think he deserves another crack at the league next season without all this ownership stuff being played in the background.

HOWEVER, my main opinion throughout all of this has not changed - IMO we can't keep judging Rafa on CL runs alone. I absolutely do not see a good run in the CL with a 3rd or 4th place as a success season in season out. Yes it's great to have had the run we've had this season getting as far as the semi's or maybe the final, but ultimately it's progression in the league we need, and I just ain't seeing it. If we see a significant improvement in the league where we are still in it come April then great, thats progress, and have another pop again the year after. If we have another league showing like this year, we need to start asking questions about how far we can actually go.

HOWEVER, my main opinion throughout all of this has not changed - IMO we can't keep judging Rafa on CL runs alone. I absolutely do not see a good run in the CL with a 3rd or 4th place as a success season in season out. Yes it's great to have had the run we've had this season getting as far as the semi's or maybe the final, but ultimately it's progression in the league we need, and I just ain't seeing it. If we see a significant improvement in the league where we are still in it come April then great, thats progress, and have another pop again the year after. If we have another league showing like this year, we need to start asking questions about how far we can actually go.

One of the questions we should ask is: does manager X stand any reasonable chance of improving our position in the League. With a tiny number of exceptions, the answer is almost certain to be No.

One of the questions we should ask is: does manager X stand any reasonable chance of improving our position in the League. With a tiny number of exceptions, the answer is almost certain to be No.

Even if we get "jose" :ohmy:

Despite my desire for a win on Wednesday night, (I will be there) and looking forward to Moscow against those fine boys from Barca, what if the worst happens and we don't make it through against the Chavs? In all probability, whilst a 6th title would be magnificent, defeat in the final would probably be an acceptable outcome for the season. We’ve demonstrated our loyalty to Rafa this season, who has continued to manage in the face of considerable adversity from the boardroom wrangles but when we stand back from this admirable loyalty, do we see a measurable improvement for the next campaign? For ever, the benchmark will always be Man Utd, just as we are for them so if we look at their team, it’s age and talent, do we consider our’s to have similar potential for any time during the next 2 seasons?

What's all this about the Mancs being "the benchmark", with their "age and talent"?? Remove Ronaldo and Rooney from that lot and they look very mediocre, such as Bolton away when they lost and played like a mid-table side. In their last few games against Middlesbrough, Blackburn, Barcelona and Chelsea they've generally struggled. They're fortunate in that they picked up points early in the season when only Arsenal were consistently doing the same.

It's worth pointing out that we've lost FEWER games than they have in the league and if we'd converted just half the draws we've had into wins - and we were the better team in the great majority of those games - we'd be right up there.

Also I think I'm right in saying that we've also scored more goals than them - or Arsenal and Chelsea - in all competitions. So let's keep a sense of perspective please. We're definitely making progress throughout the club season on season and I expect us to move up a notch next season, with the inevitable new signings in the summer

Guest Toxteth O'Grady
It's his first post and he's talking about the mancs always being the "bench mark." I smell a WUM.

Same thought did occur to me.

Guest Mongewell
Same thought did occur to me.

Yes, it is the first post but everyone has to start somewhere.

Also the reference to Man Utd as a benchmark was more a historic reference rather than for today specifically.

Guest Toxteth O'Grady
Also the reference to Man Utd as a benchmark was more a historic reference rather than for today specifically.

Hiya Manc.