By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Alonso out of Inter Clash

R A Softlad

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can absolutely understand the immense joy of being present at the birth of your child. My dad wasn't present at my birth and I don't think he ever said that he regretted that, just that it was something men kept out of the way at, and was never seen as this absolutely key thing to be at. You might say it's part of the overly sentimentalised world we live in now. Which isn't to decry your experience, rather that back when births WERE significantly more dangerous, the father kept out of the way, while the midwife and maybe doctors, and the mother, did their thing.

Anyway, good luck Xabi and his bird.

No - you can't

You have spouted some bull on a subject you know nothing about. Its the birth of your flesh and blood and I would do anything to be at the birth of my child, of which I did nearly 3 years ago. The best moment in my life and when you grow up,mature and realise that life is indeed more important than football, you might even realise it yourself, until then I think it would be better for you to shut up on the subject.

No - you can't

You have spouted some bull on a subject you know nothing about. Its the birth of your flesh and blood and I would do anything to be at the birth of my child, of which I did nearly 3 years ago. The best moment in my life and when you grow up,mature and realise that life is indeed more important than football, you might even realise it yourself, until then I think it would be better for you to shut up on the subject.

:lol: :lol: It's like Richard and Judy in here today.

Guest Anders Honoré
Absolutely, presuming that he's picked. Make a name for yourself! A star is born (in Milan).

would be an even greater loss for us, if we end up having to abandon our recent 4-3-3.

The issue seems to have been that it had been agreed that Alonso would stay at home for the blood and guts -- and more power to him -- but that he then suggested that he could turn up if the baby was born "in time".

My own child's mother was only in labour a surprisingly short while; maybe we could have a heartstring poll of childbirth anecdotes to see if the doctors predicted the length of many, if any, birthing procedures?

I don't see a problem with Xabi giving it the New Man in this day and age, but if he wanted Rafa to include him in his plans for the match without his travelling to Milan, and, presumably, somehow drill and prepare the rest of the squad without him (the usual lateness of team selection notwithstanding) and just throw him in straight off the plane with the placenta only beginning to dry on him, then that's a little bit rich.

'zackly. alonso steps into the midfield emotionally shattered, still high on gas and air but fuming livid that the kid has come out being the spitting image of a podgy pepe reina. not conducive to a good performance eh.

would be an even greater loss for us, if we end up having to abandon our recent 4-3-3.

Can't see the need for that formation out there, to be honest. Old-school Euro-away chokery and a neutral-exasperating 0-0, please. :)

Absolutely, presuming that he's picked. Make a name for yourself! A star is born (in Milan).

oh yes. lucas slams in a thirty yarder the exact moment alonso junior spews forth into the world, simultaneous screams from the basque nipper and reds fans. it's scripted.

Guest Anders Honoré
I think its ideal for this fixture - we pack the midfield but have Gerrard and Babel able to join Torres on a quick counter.

Agree with that. Really hope Babel starts.

It is a classic case of the press making an issue out of something to suit the theme that Alonso is unsettled and/or likely to move in the Summer. The story overlooks the fact that Alonso wanted to play against Inter AND be present at the birth of his first child. I suspect that Rafa, being a family man himself, would have no difficulty in understanding why Alonso would want to be with his girlfriend but would also realise that it was not really practical to try and accommodate this into the preparation for the Inter game. If Alonso is unhappy it is probably down to the fact that Rafa would not allow him to fly out later rather than an reaction to his decision to stay with his girlfriend.

Rafa would have to explain in the pre-match press conference why Alonso was not part of the squad and would not want to make it look as if either party was acting unreasonably, hence his disclosure that Alonso was keen to join up with the squad if everything was OK and his explanation as to why that was not a realistic option.

Being present at the birth (i.e. in the same room) is wrong IMO. But being in the vicinity is an absolute requirement.

To suggest that Xabi could go to Italy and play an important football match at such a time is plain ridiculous - look at poor old Dirk. His old man died and it looks like it might affect his game for years to come.

Being present at the birth (i.e. in the same room) is wrong IMO. But being in the vicinity is an absolute requirement.

To suggest that Xabi could go to Italy and play an important football match at such a time is plain ridiculous - look at poor old Dirk. His old man died and it looks like it might affect his game for years to come.

Absolutely.