By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Athens report from UEFA

Guest spk

The more I think about this, the more I am getting seriously wound up by it.

This is an absolute disgrace.

UEFA are playing a very, VERY dangerous game here. By pinning everything on Liverpool, they've essentially set into motion a scenario whereby everyone is going to start having a go at each other - which will lead to proper incidents, not any of these so-called 25 UEFA are on about.

It's already happened. On Sky, they asked for views... needless to say, everyone who said "Liverpool are the worst" were fans of United and Chelsea and Everton and all the other clubs, whereby the people defending Liverpool were Liverpool fans.

What's going to happen when Liverpool play in Europe now? It's given opposing fans and authorities carte blanche to do whatever the hell they like because Liverpool will be blamed no matter what happens.

UEFA have hung us out to dry because they realise that by football's tribal nature, the only people who will defend Liverpool are the club and fans themselves.

The sad thing is, how many of us are surprised by what's happened this season? None. English fans are no worse than others, but they are the scapegoats. Italian fans and clubs can do what they like - what on earth do they have on UEFA?!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already been having an argument with a prick Milan fan. f***ing t*** after all the s*** thats gone on with the italian fans over the last year.

Do monkey chants count as "incidents" in the eyes of UEFA?

How about other racist chants?

:rolleyes:

totally agree with this comment...

UEFA are making fools of themselves if they supply a dossier of incidents that can be seen as petty, such as stealing flags.... when Inter and other clubs have shown absolutely disgusting displays from their fans over previous years.... Flares thrown at goal keepers, monkey chanting... yet Liverpool are seen as the worst?

I hates what happened over in Athens, just like the rest of you... it could have ended up much worse than it did.... we cannot blame UEFA for the minorities actions... but UEFA can be blamed if they deem our fans to be worse than the racism that has been apparent over previous years...

the damage has been done... other forums, such as Redcafe are lapping it up, and I am sure we will get all kinds of stuff sung to us next season.... that doesn't bother me... what bothers me is that UEFA seem to be covering their backs by throwing the first punch, but in possibly the most disgusting and insulting way possible.

UEFA are making fools of themselves if they supply a dossier of incidents that can be seen as petty

But who's going to see it? No-one else wants to - they're all waiting & wanting to jump on us.

UEFA may want to look at themselves from a security point of view - it's a good job that lad who ran the length of the pitch was trying to give Reina a hat rather than a punch or a knife.

How inept would they have looked then if a player had to have left the field of play in a CL Final for an idiot running onto the pitch and then causing them an injury?

How inept would they have looked then if a player had to have left the field of play in a CL Final for an idiot running onto the pitch and then causing them an injury?

If someone is willing I don't see how you could stop them in the current secuity situations as they are now. You might have people running after them, but the odds are stacked in the attackers favour, my opinion anyhow

It's an "if" and one that goes both ways. UEFA are probably thinking "How bad would Liverpool fans have looked then if a player had to have left the field of play in a CL Final for an idiot running onto the pitch and then causing them an injury?".

Security may have been lax but the bigger problem is the div on the pitch.*

( * = no Zenden jokes please)

Edited by Cam

Just pulled this off the espn site.

minister to quiz Platini over ticket debacle

Sports minister Richard Caborn is to raise the crowd problems at the Champions League final with UEFA president Michel Platini after a number of bona fide Liverpool ticket-holders were refused entrance to the Olympic Stadium in Athens.

UEFA have put the blame for the problems squarely on to ticketless Liverpool fans or those with forgeries gaining access to the stadium and forcing Greek police to declare the ground full.

Caborn will raise the issue with Platini when they meet on June 5 in Brussels.

The minister said: 'I have a lot of sympathy with the Liverpool fans who paid their hard-earned money for genuine tickets but couldn't get into the ground.

'The reasons for this need an urgent explanation. We have already raised the matter with the Greek authorities through our embassy in Athens and government officials are also talking with UEFA.

'I will also be putting this issue high on the agenda at a meeting I am to have with Michel Platini in Brussels in two weeks time.'

The Conservatives' sports spokesman Hugh Robertson launched a powerful attack on UEFA and claimed the ticket problems in Athens were 'a disgrace'.

Robertson said: 'UEFA picked the wrong venue and then compounded the error by failing to put the correct systems in place to manage the situation on the ground. They should look to their own shortcomings before seeking to blame others.

'It is an absolute disgrace that Liverpool fans bought tickets through the club only to be denied entry to the game.'

UEFA communications director William Gaillard insisted the Greek police had been forced into a position where they could not prevent some ticketless fan moving barriers without provoking a riot.

Gaillard said: 'What's a disgrace is the behaviour of some Liverpool fans who deprived the rightful holders of tickets from entering the ground.

'Such statements from the Conservative Party encourages such behaviour - they should be condemning it.

'There was not a single incident involving AC Milan fans, and when Celtic were in the UEFA Cup final in Seville a few years ago there were three times as many fans outside the ground as inside and there was perfect behaviour.'

Gaillard also backed the Greek police, but said that UEFA would be looking again at the arrangements of the final to see what could be improved.

He added: 'I believe the police behaved in a very civilised way to avoid anyone being hurt, or worse.'

Simon Gass, the British ambassador to Greece, said UEFA needed to look at the issue of fake tickets.

Gass told BBC Radio Five: 'The organisers had a plan which involved three cordons to try to ensure that people who didn't have tickets were not able to get into the stadium.

'Clearly there was some element of breakdown where those fake tickets appeared to be legitimate - that's something UEFA must look at.

'The vast majority of fans with proper tickets got in but even if a small minority did not, that's not satisfactory.'

Gass is also to speak to the Greek authorities about some fans being tear-gassed as trouble broke out outside the stadium.

Just like 1985 UEFA failed in it's responsibility to ensure a venue that would protect the safety of Fans watching the game. Athens like Heysl was never a suitable venue to host a football event of this importance.

The security and measures to control a crowd was clearly not good enough in Athens. I dont even want to think what would have happened if we played United instead of Milan.

BUT

Liverpool as a club must once again assume a part of the responsibility for what happened. We have a minority in our midst that trigger these life threatening events

Nobody has a Divine right to see a Final Live. If you dont have a Legal Ticket for whatever reason, You cant justify Entering the stadium illegally. Calling it 'Bunking' or some other Romantic name does not diminish the Fact that doing it Directly threatens the security of others. And for those that do it wearing the HJC emblem. Shame on You.

It's the responsibility of every True Liverpool Fan to police this element in our club. Take a photo of offenders and report them to the club. We need rid of them. saying that every club has a few Bad apples is not good enough. By doing nothing we are all condoning their actions and share responsibility for what they do

Edited by SouthAfricaRed

can't f***ing get over this line:

'Gaillard revealed: "The incidents involving Liverpool fans have been well known to us before the trouble at the Champions League final which involved Liverpool fans. That was just the latest example. What other set of fans steal tickets from their fellow supporters or out of the hands of children?'

c***

here

can't f***ing get over this line:

'What other set of fans steal tickets from their fellow supporters or out of the hands of children?'

That he said it or that 'we' did it?

This is the bit I can't get over:

"Perversely, Gaillard cited the good behaviour of Liverpool supporters before the final with Milan as a reason to dismiss concerns that an allocation of 17,000 tickets to each finalist would invite trouble and allow the black market to flourish. He also indicated that the theft of 100 official Champions League flags at the Olympic Stadium would be one of the 25 incidents mentioned in the report, even though they were removed by both sets of supporters."

Edited by Cam

It's difficult.

The majority of liverpool supporters were well behaved and the majority (almost all?) will and have condemned what the idiots in Athens created. We've taken some of the blame but want uefa to take their share too. When those fat cats don't and shift the whole blame onto us it creates a sort of seige mentality and we become more and more angered towards UEFA, who continue to blame Liverpool supporters and the whole thing keeps getting worse and the acknowledgement of some of our fans' behaviour is forgotten.

I dont want the club to get into a public slanging match saying "Club X has done this, club Y did this etc." but would love to see a well thought out statement that talks about some of the acknowledgements of our well behaved support (including one from this uefa d****ead prior to the final!) and then making public some of the things they mentioned in their document to uefa outlining the concerns they had with the stadium and some of our own supporters which went unheeded.

OK, fair point... I'm not happy about the way UEFA have come in all heavy handed about it either and I do admit that they are asking for a major reaction from the club. I'm not sure what should be done but I just felt that from a lot of the posts here, people were turning a blind eye to some potentially dangerous behaviour frm some of the fans.

I just don't like it when I see signs of people forgetting about what can happen you know.

from monday's independent:

Uefa intensified its argument with Liverpool over the ticket chaos at the European Cup final yesterday by leaking details of a report which brands the club's supporters as the "worst behaved in Europe".

Michel Platini, the president of European football's governing body, will present the findings of a four-year investigation to the Sports minister, Richard Caborn, tomorrow and demand that Liverpool are ordered to improve security checks on those who follow the club abroad. The report, based on evidence collected by undercover police officers, details 25 disturbances involving Liverpool supporters at European away games since 2003 but the catalyst for the meeting between Platini and Caborn in Brussels is the final against Milan in Athens and the violence that occurred outside the Olympic Stadium on 23 May.

A Uefa spokesman, William Gaillard, accused Liverpool supporters of stealing tickets "out of the hands of children", adding, "we know what happened in Athens and Liverpool fans were the cause of most of the trouble there".

Uefa and Liverpool have been at loggerheads over the circumstances that led to approximately 2,000 fans with tickets for the game being locked out of the stadium and tear-gassed by Greek police when they attempted to gain entry. The Anfield club claim inadequate security, a meagre ticket allocation and the choice of an athletics venue were the principal causes of the disturbances, and had highlighted those precise concerns in a report submitted to Uefa five days before the final.

Uefa's counter-argument is that thousands of ticketless fans who rushed the gates, gained access with forged tickets or stole from genuine ticket-holders were to blame for filling the Olympic Stadium beyond capacity and leaving the Greek authorities no option but to shut the gates early.

The current stand-off could have repercussions for both sides. One ticket-holder, Paul Gregory, has threatened to sue Platini, having missed the game and been caught in a crush against the police cordon outside the stadium. Uefa, for its part, is considering a heavy punishment for the Anfield club, but the governing body has demonstrated its intention to lay the blame solely on Liverpool by releasing details of a wide-ranging investigation into the club's support.

Gaillard revealed: "The incidents involving Liverpool fans have been well known to us before the trouble at the Champions League final which involved Liverpool fans. That was just the latest example. What other set of fans steal tickets from their fellow supporters or out of the hands of children?

"We have an independent police report mentioning 25 incidents since 2003 caused by Liverpool fans away from home. That's the most of any team in Europe and these are in the report. We should all be very pleased that no one was hurt."

Perversely, Gaillard cited the good behaviour of Liverpool supporters before the final with Milan as a reason to dismiss concerns that an allocation of 17,000 tickets to each finalist would invite trouble and allow the black market to flourish. He also indicated that the theft of 100 official Champions League flags at the Olympic Stadium would be one of the 25 incidents mentioned in the report, even though they were removed by both sets of supporters.

Liverpool cannot comment on the report until it has been delivered to Caborn and themselves, and are braced for government pressure to monitor their ticket distribution. But they responded to the leaked allegations last night by insisting that they were an attempt by Uefa to distance itself from responsibility for the poor organisation of its showpiece event.

A club spokesman said: "The shortcomings in the management of the situation in Athens were apparent to anyone who was there and this latest statement from Uefa should not deflect attention away from that reality."

The Liverpool chief executive, Rick Parry, appealed to Uefa for a greater ticket allocation in the weeks preceding the final but was informed that 29,000 tickets for the 63,000-capacity stadium were designated for its "football family" - the catch-all phrase for sponsors, corporate guests and those who received tickets through a public ballot.

But Liverpool were criticised by supporters for exacerbating the problem by distributing 6,000 tickets among their own corporate clients and changing the policy of giving season-ticket holders preference for European final tickets.

"To have a stadium with no counting system and no turnstiles is unforgivable for any standard of game, let alone a major final," said Parry. "We produced a report for Uefa a week beforehand predicting, sadly, all of the things that did go wrong. We told Uefa our intelligence suggested there were 5,000 forged tickets in existence. They knew and we knew, that thousands of fans would travel without tickets and we stressed the need for a proper check at the outer cordon.

"We do not condone the behaviour of Liverpool fans who charged gates, stole tickets or who knowingly had forgeries, that is clear, but we are hugely concerned many innocent fans with valid tickets did not get in and checks at the outer cordons did not work."

Liverpool's new American owners, George Gillet and Tom Hicks, have promised to reimburse ticket-holders who did not get to see the game and many have returned from Athens with harrowing accounts of a crush that occurred when it was announced the stadium was full.and police vans were driven across the entrance. Much of the anger has been directed towards Uefa and the Greek authorities, but many have also blamed the ticketless fans who forced their way inside the ground at the expense of those with tickets.

Phil Hammond, whose son Philip was among the 96 Liverpool supporters who died in the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 and is now chairman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, has stated: "My heart sank as I stood and watched what was happening. After what happened at Sheffield in 1989 I couldn't believe Liverpool fans, of all people, could do such dangerous things. I honestly feared people were going to get crushed and we were going to have another Hillsborough.

"It was disgusting," Hammond added. "The people who stormed into the stadium are the scum of the earth. They put at risk hundreds of lives and they should be ashamed of themselves. The vast majority of Liverpool fans are impeccably behaved but there's always been a hard core of mindless thugs that ruin it for the rest. It hurts me to say this but I won't be following Liverpool on their travels in the future."

Bad boys of Europe? Why Liverpool are far from alone

Liverpool fans may have been described as the worst in Europe, but other recent incidents suggest that the problem is not confined to England.

Rome, March 2006

Three Middlesbrough fans were stabbed before the club's Uefa Cup game against Roma. The attack was blamed on Roma ultras. Five years earlier, ultras were also blamed when five Liverpool fans were stabbed.

Paris, November 2006

A Paris St-Germain fan was shot dead by police and another seriously injured during fighting between PSG fans and the police, after PSG lost 4-2 to the Israeli club Hapoel Tel Aviv in the Parc des Prince in a Uefa Cup match. Around 100 PSG fans chased a French Hapoel fan, shouting anti-semitic slogans. A black plain-clothes police officer who tried to protect the Hapoel supporter, was also attacked. He then fired tear gas, before he drew his gun. One fan was shot dead and another seriously injured.

Nancy, December 2006

Feyenoord fans fought and smashed windows before ripping out and throwing seats during the Uefa Cup tie against Nancy. Police used tear gas, forcing the referee to halt the match.

from monday's independent:

Uefa intensified its argument with Liverpool over the ticket chaos at the European Cup final yesterday by leaking details of a report which brands the club's supporters as the "worst behaved in Europe".

Michel Platini, the president of European football's governing body, will present the findings of a four-year investigation to the Sports minister, Richard Caborn, tomorrow and demand that Liverpool are ordered to improve security checks on those who follow the club abroad. The report, based on evidence collected by undercover police officers, details 25 disturbances involving Liverpool supporters at European away games since 2003 but the catalyst for the meeting between Platini and Caborn in Brussels is the final against Milan in Athens and the violence that occurred outside the Olympic Stadium on 23 May.

A Uefa spokesman, William Gaillard, accused Liverpool supporters of stealing tickets "out of the hands of children", adding, "we know what happened in Athens and Liverpool fans were the cause of most of the trouble there".

Uefa and Liverpool have been at loggerheads over the circumstances that led to approximately 2,000 fans with tickets for the game being locked out of the stadium and tear-gassed by Greek police when they attempted to gain entry. The Anfield club claim inadequate security, a meagre ticket allocation and the choice of an athletics venue were the principal causes of the disturbances, and had highlighted those precise concerns in a report submitted to Uefa five days before the final.

Uefa's counter-argument is that thousands of ticketless fans who rushed the gates, gained access with forged tickets or stole from genuine ticket-holders were to blame for filling the Olympic Stadium beyond capacity and leaving the Greek authorities no option but to shut the gates early.

The current stand-off could have repercussions for both sides. One ticket-holder, Paul Gregory, has threatened to sue Platini, having missed the game and been caught in a crush against the police cordon outside the stadium. Uefa, for its part, is considering a heavy punishment for the Anfield club, but the governing body has demonstrated its intention to lay the blame solely on Liverpool by releasing details of a wide-ranging investigation into the club's support.

Gaillard revealed: "The incidents involving Liverpool fans have been well known to us before the trouble at the Champions League final which involved Liverpool fans. That was just the latest example. What other set of fans steal tickets from their fellow supporters or out of the hands of children?

"We have an independent police report mentioning 25 incidents since 2003 caused by Liverpool fans away from home. That's the most of any team in Europe and these are in the report. We should all be very pleased that no one was hurt."

Perversely, Gaillard cited the good behaviour of Liverpool supporters before the final with Milan as a reason to dismiss concerns that an allocation of 17,000 tickets to each finalist would invite trouble and allow the black market to flourish. He also indicated that the theft of 100 official Champions League flags at the Olympic Stadium would be one of the 25 incidents mentioned in the report, even though they were removed by both sets of supporters.

Liverpool cannot comment on the report until it has been delivered to Caborn and themselves, and are braced for government pressure to monitor their ticket distribution. But they responded to the leaked allegations last night by insisting that they were an attempt by Uefa to distance itself from responsibility for the poor organisation of its showpiece event.

A club spokesman said: "The shortcomings in the management of the situation in Athens were apparent to anyone who was there and this latest statement from Uefa should not deflect attention away from that reality."

The Liverpool chief executive, Rick Parry, appealed to Uefa for a greater ticket allocation in the weeks preceding the final but was informed that 29,000 tickets for the 63,000-capacity stadium were designated for its "football family" - the catch-all phrase for sponsors, corporate guests and those who received tickets through a public ballot.

But Liverpool were criticised by supporters for exacerbating the problem by distributing 6,000 tickets among their own corporate clients and changing the policy of giving season-ticket holders preference for European final tickets.

"To have a stadium with no counting system and no turnstiles is unforgivable for any standard of game, let alone a major final," said Parry. "We produced a report for Uefa a week beforehand predicting, sadly, all of the things that did go wrong. We told Uefa our intelligence suggested there were 5,000 forged tickets in existence. They knew and we knew, that thousands of fans would travel without tickets and we stressed the need for a proper check at the outer cordon.

"We do not condone the behaviour of Liverpool fans who charged gates, stole tickets or who knowingly had forgeries, that is clear, but we are hugely concerned many innocent fans with valid tickets did not get in and checks at the outer cordons did not work."

Liverpool's new American owners, George Gillet and Tom Hicks, have promised to reimburse ticket-holders who did not get to see the game and many have returned from Athens with harrowing accounts of a crush that occurred when it was announced the stadium was full.and police vans were driven across the entrance. Much of the anger has been directed towards Uefa and the Greek authorities, but many have also blamed the ticketless fans who forced their way inside the ground at the expense of those with tickets.

Phil Hammond, whose son Philip was among the 96 Liverpool supporters who died in the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 and is now chairman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, has stated: "My heart sank as I stood and watched what was happening. After what happened at Sheffield in 1989 I couldn't believe Liverpool fans, of all people, could do such dangerous things. I honestly feared people were going to get crushed and we were going to have another Hillsborough.

"It was disgusting," Hammond added. "The people who stormed into the stadium are the scum of the earth. They put at risk hundreds of lives and they should be ashamed of themselves. The vast majority of Liverpool fans are impeccably behaved but there's always been a hard core of mindless thugs that ruin it for the rest. It hurts me to say this but I won't be following Liverpool on their travels in the future."

Bad boys of Europe? Why Liverpool are far from alone

Liverpool fans may have been described as the worst in Europe, but other recent incidents suggest that the problem is not confined to England.

Rome, March 2006

Three Middlesbrough fans were stabbed before the club's Uefa Cup game against Roma. The attack was blamed on Roma ultras. Five years earlier, ultras were also blamed when five Liverpool fans were stabbed.

Paris, November 2006

A Paris St-Germain fan was shot dead by police and another seriously injured during fighting between PSG fans and the police, after PSG lost 4-2 to the Israeli club Hapoel Tel Aviv in the Parc des Prince in a Uefa Cup match. Around 100 PSG fans chased a French Hapoel fan, shouting anti-semitic slogans. A black plain-clothes police officer who tried to protect the Hapoel supporter, was also attacked. He then fired tear gas, before he drew his gun. One fan was shot dead and another seriously injured.

Nancy, December 2006

Feyenoord fans fought and smashed windows before ripping out and throwing seats during the Uefa Cup tie against Nancy. Police used tear gas, forcing the referee to halt the match.

Thanks for digging that up Herb - I thought the lack of official comment from the club was for a reason at this time and that simply Blaming Parry (Not the Owners?) was a bit premature for legal reasons.

One note - I haven't seen this in another thread so here goes:

Platini wants to create a 'Greater UEFA football council of clubs' to replace the G14 - he has just shot himself in both feet multiple times. His tenure in the job may yet be the shortest ever. Not only has he pissed off the government and opposition here with his Gaillard mouthpiece (Claborn has been briefed by Howerd on the events) He can also bet his self-satisfied ar*e that George and Tom know some seriously good lawyers.

Edited by fyds

Guest RedLegend

If the club don't fight this I think we'll all be disgusted.

Nobody denies that we have a minority of drunken troublemakers following the club but for UEFA to smear the entire club's support like this is absolutely appalling IMO.

If the club don't fight this I think we'll all be disgusted.

Nobody denies that we have a minority of drunken troublemakers following the club but for UEFA to smear the entire club's support like this is absolutely appalling IMO.

Exactly. Yes, there are bad followers but they are a minority and we do not have much problems in the past four or five years going all over Europe. Shame on UEFA who resorts, again, to tarring the supporters to cover their own shortcomings and keep a blind eye over other problems. But what can we expect from these fat, corrupt cats?

The Club must stand up.

The club will fight it - but mouthing off to the press at this stage in the way Gaillard has would be detrimental to us in a legal case - as I believe it will prove to UEFA.

He reminds me of this fella...

IIM.jpg

Edited by R A Softlad

Guest Snorky
The more I think about this, the more I am getting seriously wound up by it.

This is an absolute disgrace.

UEFA are playing a very, VERY dangerous game here. By pinning everything on Liverpool, they've essentially set into motion a scenario whereby everyone is going to start having a go at each other - which will lead to proper incidents, not any of these so-called 25 UEFA are on about.

It's already happened. On Sky, they asked for views... needless to say, everyone who said "Liverpool are the worst" were fans of United and Chelsea and Everton and all the other clubs, whereby the people defending Liverpool were Liverpool fans.

What's going to happen when Liverpool play in Europe now? It's given opposing fans and authorities carte blanche to do whatever the hell they like because Liverpool will be blamed no matter what happens.

UEFA have hung us out to dry because they realise that by football's tribal nature, the only people who will defend Liverpool are the club and fans themselves.

The sad thing is, how many of us are surprised by what's happened this season? None. English fans are no worse than others, but they are the scapegoats. Italian fans and clubs can do what they like - what on earth do they have on UEFA?!

Absolutely spot on.

If we are the worst fans, why did Gaillard come out before the final and say : "The two groups of supporters have a tradition of good behaviour and at this point we are expecting that to continue."

So he's either lieing about this or lieing about us being the worst fans, either way he's lieing so he cannot be trusted.

What WOULD Be nice would be if LFC fans totally boycotted going to the game for every and any 'Champions' League or other UEFA organised game.

Imagine if the ground and all aways were utterly empty of fans.

I personally won't be going to a single 'Champions' League game next season - either home or away and I'm hoping that a lot of other fans don't either - would be nothing more embarrasing for UEFA.

Our Euro aways for the next couple of years are really not going to be fun. Regardless of whether UEFA is right or wrong, opposition clubs and their city's police forces are going to have our cards marked.

s***, as they say, sticks.

Let's be careful out there.