By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Gonzalez trying too hard to impress, says Benitez

galés rojo

Gonzalez trying too hard to impress, says BenitezAug 3 2006

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

RAFA Benitez believes new signing Mark Gonzalez is 'trying too hard' to make an immediate impression since the successful conclusion of his transfer saga.

The South American left winger arrived amid huge expectations, as Benitez launched a year-long campaign for the 21-year-old to be allowed to play in England.

The hype which led to the work permit was a necessity, but arguably did little favours for Gonzalez as so much excitement has followed his signing.

Gonzalez's three warm-up games so far have left little impression, but his manager insists the judgement on the Chilean will be more positive in the months to come.

Benitez feels the intense programme in Switzerland, which has seen Liverpool train and play matches on the same day, has contributed to tired performances, especially from those who aren't used to such a punishing schedule.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

All the players will reap the benefits when the competitive fixtures begin, Benitez argues.

"At this moment, Mark wants to play so well, he's playing not so well," said Benitez.

"He's always trying to go forward and he wants to go faster than he has to at this time. "We don't have any doubt about the quality of the player. He has to work for his place like all the players, but we know he is a top player at a top club and he will do well.

"He has the pace we're looking for. At the moment he's tired because he's training hard, but in few weeks time you will see the quality."

Gonzalez's next chance to stake a claim for the Champions League game with Maccabi Haifa is tomorrow night, when Liverpool face German side FC Mainz in their last overseas friendly.

Benitez is expected to field a strong starting eleven, with Steven Gerrard, Peter Crouch and Jamie Carragher playing for at least an hour.

Xabi Alonso is also in line to make his first appearance of the season after recovering from an ankle injury.

Daniel Agger is also suffering with an ankle problem, which has kept him out the warm-up games, but may be involved.

Fabio Aurelio has a calf strain, and Robbie Fowler is hoping to shake off a minor knee problem.

click

Edited by galés rojo

Gonzales is the new Bruno. Remember that game against Lazio? Did it ever happen?

Surely the opposite?

If people get on Gonzales back in the first few months and ruin his confidence, we only have ourselves to blame, give the lad a chance for f***s sake.

Guest Jack Bauer

Gonzales is the new Bruno. Remember that game against Lazio? Did it ever happen?

That makes no sense. At all.

I'm hoping Rafa doesn't play any of our new players for 4 or 5 games. Then brings them in one at a time.

Way to much expectation is being put on their collective shoulders. It's a new club and country for some.

Lets give them a chance to bed in before the crucifying starts.

...and yet another reason why it'd be nice to go back to the 'good old days', when pre season friendly games where not on TV, and no fecer gave a second thought to them.

I'm surprised Rafa has even bothered to comment on his form in pre-season friendlies.

Guest Jodus

I'm hoping Rafa doesn't play any of our new players for 4 or 5 games. Then brings them in one at a time.

Throw Pennant straight in, he's well able...

Pennant and Bellamy are already attuned to English football of course, they'll go straight in.

Gonzalez and Aurelio should be bedded in carefully, but I'm sure will still be involved with the first team immediately.

The amount of people who want us to sell by far our best left-sided player in Kewell amazes me. Gonzalez would benefit having him there, so there isn't too much pressure on him straight from the off.

Can't speak for others but I'd sell Kewell to buy Kuyt. Kewell has only ever done the bussiness in patches and yet again is injured.

I'd only sell though, and only if we need the money to buy someone like Kuyt.

I can't see us getting much money for other saleable players and Kewell's position is now fully covered.

Judging by his pre season selections it's clear who he'll play

Dudek

Finnan Paletta Hobbs Traore

Anderson Reina Zenden Gonzalez

Bellamy Fowler

or maybe

Last years main back 5

Pennant Alonso Sissoko Gerrard

Bellamy Crouch