By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

a few things

anny road

Guest sniffer
We're now such an obviously well coached side.  Each player seems to have a great understanding where their fellow players are, which runs they will make.  There's obviously some special stuff going on in training and match preparation.

1128062[/snapback]

Anybody else notice that when a black and white shirt got the ball, more often than not, he was immediately surrounded by three red shirts.

Posts merged:

you see...sometimes I wonder....We need to be more ruthless???

Kewell shot saved (SOMEHOW) by Given

Morientes mazy run saved by Given

Solano blatant handball

cisse shot saved by given

thats just off the top of my head

the only chances where we were not ruthless with was Garcia missing from a yard out

we were exceptional, enjoy it ffs :angry:

1128138[/snapback]

In lfc-dub's defence, they are the only examples you can remember. Given's save came from a shot straight at him. Look at it again. It was instinctive - a foot either side and he would have been nowhere near it. And Kewell blazed at least three other times over the bar and nearly into the upper tier. It didn't liven up again in the secondhalf until Kewell went off and Pongolle came on.

Guest Anders Honoré
In all fairness, Owen scored a bagload in a Liverpool team designed to give him the ball ALL the time. He wouldn't last a second in our new style of play. Maybe on the right flank, but if we had him in the center, our offense would break every possesion just like it did before... Back to counter attacking with long balls down the ground to Owen. No thank you.. Rather have Crouchy, he is scoring now as well..

1127940[/snapback]

Revisionism is getting increasingly tiresome.

It's not like he struggled for goals at Real Madrid was it?

Owen's link play is a lot more than people give him credit for. He is an excellent professional whom I admire but, sadly, feel indifferent nowsdays.

Yesterday we were fantastic. Everyone played well and worked hard. The movement, as said, was a joy to watch. Our final third is getting better all the time and Kewell is only at most 70%!

Very very happy with our football.

In all fairness, Owen scored a bagload in a Liverpool team designed to give him the ball ALL the time. He wouldn't last a second in our new style of play. Maybe on the right flank, but if we had him in the center, our offense would break every possesion just like it did before... Back to counter attacking with long balls down the ground to Owen. No thank you.. Rather have Crouchy, he is scoring now as well..

1127940[/snapback]

Interesting point. But how about this...

I've heard more than one observer compare Owen to Rush, who of course was very successful in a 'pressing' team (they were very good on the counter attack but their play was not built around it). Of course Rushie was fortunate to play with Dalglish......could Owen forge a similar partnership with Morientes?

Our movement off the ball is the best I've seen it, it used to be awful under GH, but Rafa has turned down around quickly. We pull defences all over the place and move the ball so quickly they haven't got time to react. We were brilliant today, could have given Newcastle a real battering.

1127920[/snapback]

Quite right. As I've been living in Oz for a few years I only get to a game every couple of seasons. I've not enjoyed a game at Anfield as much as yesterday since the early 90s. Superb stuff - a real joy to watch.

Posts merged:

But Crouch clearing the ball while stood on his head was the true moment of skill.

1128058[/snapback]

:D My mate wasn't paying attention when Crouch did that. It was such a bizarre bit of play that I couldn't even describe properly what he did.

Its pretty clear to me that Owen won't be coming back but this notion that he couldn't play in a Rafa team is getting on my nerves.

At the moment we are playing a pretty orthodox 4-4-2 with Crouch and Morientes up top. I see no reason why Owen wouldn't thrive playing alongside Crouch (i.e. instead of Morientes).

Edited by fred milne

Its pretty clear to me that Owen won't be coming back but this notion that he couldn't play in a Rafa team is getting on my nerves.

At the moment we are playing a pretty orthodox 4-4-2 with Crouch and Morientes up top.  I see no reason why Owen wouldn't thrive playing alongside Crouch (i.e. instead of Morientes).

1128542[/snapback]

because there's an obsession with flooding midfield to the extent that even though we are using two strikers it's being ignored by some