By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Hassony's joke about Salah & 9/11

Hassony

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a sh*tty attempt at 'balance'. Try harder next time mate.

No. It was an attempt to illustrate it through a fairly common subject of vilification when it happens. There was a distant, but universal level of condemnation of Israel's invasion of Gaza. The same for ISIS butchering people. It's all abhorrent, but most on this forum weren't intimately affected I would guess. Would it be remotely appropriate to refer to Hillsborough, let alone inquire about jokes about it? Of course it wouldn't. It is far too personal for far too many.

Having seen what I saw on that day wasn't remotely close to being all of it. Seeing kids who have lost their Mums and Dads. Seeing wives lost and bewildered about what happened to their husbands. Seeing blokes breaking down about having survived and their colleagues didn't. Seeing all of the signs looking for loved ones. Smelling the death at Ground Zero went I had the misfortune to actually go there for a stupid attempt at "closure". I could go on and on about it, even down to the weirdness of having no planes in the sky other than F-14's flying over the house after a f*cking aircraft carrier was deployed off shore. Then the subsequent chaos and wicked opportunism of the US in going down this path to war and even more decimation and death and the uncertainty that will now live with us for generations. Personally wondering what agony my friends and acquaintances went through before dying enters my mind frequently for the the most unexpected reasons. So, it is a big deal for me as it is for people like NHE who I know were impacted a great deal. Macca and others have felt it too.

Hass isn't a bad guy at all. I know that for a fact. I don't believe that there are any forumites speaking with any malice either. The initial laughter reaction you can't do much about and the immediate correction when you've realized what you've done is the right reaction.

The head of the nail was hit earlier on with the Hillsborough comparable. Laughing at a joke about 3000 innocent deaths isn't good on any level.

i've always agreed with the thing about nothing being beyond joking, no subject should be that sensitive that you can't laugh about it, but then someone says hillsborough. and i have to catch myself on.

I was just doing a public enemy bit

making PE references is harder than you think.

No. It was an attempt to illustrate it through a fairly common subject of vilification when it happens. There was a distant, but universal level of condemnation of Israel's invasion of Gaza. The same for ISIS butchering people. It's all abhorrent, but most on this forum weren't intimately affected I would guess. Would it be remotely appropriate to refer to Hillsborough, let alone inquire about jokes about it? Of course it wouldn't. It is far too personal for far too many.

Having seen what I saw on that day wasn't remotely close to being all of it. Seeing kids who have lost their Mums and Dads. Seeing wives lost and bewildered about what happened to their husbands. Seeing blokes breaking down about having survived and their colleagues didn't. Seeing all of the signs looking for loved ones. Smelling the death at Ground Zero went I had the misfortune to actually go there for a stupid attempt at "closure". I could go on and on about it, even down to the weirdness of having no planes in the sky other than F-14's flying over the house after a f*cking aircraft carrier was deployed off shore. Then the subsequent chaos and wicked opportunism of the US in going down this path to war and even more decimation and death and the uncertainty that will now live with us for generations. Personally wondering what agony my friends and acquaintances went through before dying enters my mind frequently for the the most unexpected reasons. So, it is a big deal for me as it is for people like NHE who I know were impacted a great deal. Macca and others have felt it too.

Hass isn't a bad guy at all. I know that for a fact. I don't believe that there are any forumites speaking with any malice either. The initial laughter reaction you can't do much about and the immediate correction when you've realized what you've done is the right reaction.

Have you ever watched any of the roasts on comedy central out of interest?

You can of course make a joke about anything. However I tend to think that only those who are in some sense victims of the catastrophic event or act of violence can get away with it as "gallows" humour. Others doing so will tend to get misinterpreted.

Gudjohnson, Morris and Terry's pissed up 'plane' imitations caused a huge reaction on here at the time. So why is it now OK that Hassony (or anybody) is aping their behaviour? 

The victims being Americans makes a difference clearly.