By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Golf

DazzlaJ

The courses are having to adapt and are just getting longer and longer. I drove one 360 yards or thereabouts (breeze assisted) the round before I went in for my operation.

Been thinking about it since, can't wait to get back on the course! As long as you adapt the courses it's ok - although I don't think the technology should go any further now.

Edited by Leo No.8

The courses are having to adapt and are just getting longer and longer. I drove one 360 yards or thereabouts (breeze assisted) the round before I went in for my operation.

Been thinking about it since, can't wait to get back on the course! As long as you adapt the courses it's ok - although I don't think the technology should go any further now.

360yrds is a phenomenal drive, i used to play every now and then but even with a 9 degree driver i could barely make 300yrds usually somewhere in the mid to high two hundreds.

360yrds is a phenomenal drive, i used to play every now and then but even with a 9 degree driver i could barely make 300yrds usually somewhere in the mid to high two hundreds.

Have always hit it a long way but control is the problem!

I drive the ball consistently 300 yards + but the wild ones can ruin my round. I got down to 7 a few years back but depending on how straight I was hitting it, rather than going round regularly on my handicap I could shoot a couple over gross on a good day or eighteen over gross on a bad one.

Finally managed to get the ball going one way recently - I know I've always swing too hard at the ball but I struggle with rhythm when I slow it down. That meant I could go either way with the ball - last couple of rounds I was drawing everything so could play for it and managed to hit most fairways.

Racked up 4 birdies in that round at Lee Park - two of the par fives then 17 and 18. When I jack in the footy I will play a lot more golf, hopefully get some consistency into my game. I love the game, just hard to play all the time with the family responsibilities!

Edited by Leo No.8

Get off the juice lad...

Do clubs and balls make such an impact in distance? I have been playing for 12 months this was the first time I ever swung a club properly and stood on a course. My wife bought me some very cheap clubs not knowing if i would take the game up. The clubs I have cost no more than 70 quid. I have had a dozen lessons and I have the golfing bug now.

I have only been in 2 courses and usually play around Aintree once a week. Last week I went round in 40 then 43 the next week. In such a short time I think I have progressed a lot.

But the furthest I can hit a ball is about 240. But that's with the wind and the ground being hard otherwise it's about 220.

If I get better clubs and balls will it make a massive difference? I have donnay clubs and use pinnical balls at the moment. Thanks.

Do clubs and balls make such an impact in distance? I have been playing for 12 months this was the first time I ever swung a club properly and stood on a course. My wife bought me some very cheap clubs not knowing if i would take the game up. The clubs I have cost no more than 70 quid. I have had a dozen lessons and I have the golfing bug now.

I have only been in 2 courses and usually play around Aintree once a week. Last week I went round in 40 then 43 the next week. In such a short time I think I have progressed a lot.

But the furthest I can hit a ball is about 240. But that's with the wind and the ground being hard otherwise it's about 220.

If I get better clubs and balls will it make a massive difference? I have donnay clubs and use pinnical balls at the moment. Thanks.

Pinnacles are rock hard, it's like a rifle going off , and they go for miles but are a 'mare for the short stuff and putting. Donnay clubs are fine for somebody just a year in, and shooting 43 for 9 holes is feckin brilliant, that's around a 14 handicap if the course is half decent, after a year that's staggering. But the high tech kit affects the pro's and really good players more than the club golfer. If today's top players had to use the clubs Hogan and even Nicklaus played with they'd be dumbstruck. A top players swing speed is phenomonal, the latest driver gives them more distance every year it seems, which means the courses have to get longer etc. etc.

Decompress the ball. End of.

Edited by Murphman

Pinnacles are rock hard, it's like a rifle going off , and they go for miles but are a 'mare for the short stuff and putting. Donnay clubs are fine for somebody just a year in, and shooting 43 for 9 holes is feckin brilliant, that's around a 14 handicap if the course is half decent, after a year that's staggering. But the high tech kit affects the pro's and really good players more than the club golfer. If today's top players had to use the clubs Hogan and even Nicklaus played with they'd be dumbstruck. A top players swing speed is phenomonal, the latest driver gives them more distance every year it seems, which means the courses have to get longer etc. etc.

Decompress the ball. End of.

Thanks Murphman

aintree is very long and very wide, so its forgiving if you dont hit it perfectly straight, but it gets very windy becuase its exposed which doesnt help.

As for the handicap, like i said i have got the bug! and i do practice a lot. My short game has come on leaps and bounds in the last 2 months which has made a huge difference.

So, what you are saying is that unless you are getting close to scratch, then there isnt any point in investing a lot of money in abetter set?

So, what you are saying is that unless you are getting close to scratch, then there isnt any point in investing a lot of money in abetter set?

I wouldn't say that. By the sounds of it you've got some cheap Donnay clubs that will offer little control of a Pinnacle ball. Choose some better quality balls out of the lake balls box - Titleist, Maxfli etc - and see which you're comfortable with. Meanwhile, check out some better clubs down the local discount store. See what they feel like. Most good discount stores will have a practice area. My father swears blind by Ping woods yet they don't suit me - you can have a £300 driver but if the grip doesn't feel comfortable, or the swing feels unbalanced, then what's the point ?

I wouldn't say that. By the sounds of it you've got some cheap Donnay clubs that will offer little control of a Pinnacle ball. Choose some better quality balls out of the lake balls box - Titleist, Maxfli etc - and see which you're comfortable with. Meanwhile, check out some better clubs down the local discount store. See what they feel like. Most good discount stores will have a practice area. My father swears blind by Ping woods yet they don't suit me - you can have a £300 driver but if the grip doesn't feel comfortable, or the swing feels unbalanced, then what's the point ?

i didnt realise pinnacle balls were so difficult. i will try some of the others. thanks for that.

I find american golf cheap? unless you know of any better in liverpool?

ta

i didnt realise pinnacle balls were so difficult. i will try some of the others. thanks for that.

I find american golf cheap? unless you know of any better in liverpool?

ta

They are ok.

Try Moreton Hills on the Wirral if you can be arsed venturing over.

Or identify what you like and then buy online from clubhousegolfdirect - they've got the best prices I've seen and more importantly are totally legit. Very few online golf sites are!

Carlsgolfland and rockbottomgolf are also legit and cheap but USA based so there is an important fee.

Even so I got a Taylor Made Burner driver from the former for just over a ton all in and am hitting it like a dream - it is a 2009 model but was 3-400 quid when it came out.

Edited by kop205

The rule of thumb is to just see whatever works well for you. A hell of a lot of it is in your head too.

I prefer a Titleist Pro V-1 (not the V-1x) or the Callaway black. But so many of the balls are great now. Just look at recommendations from Golf Digest etc and then try them for yourself.

For clubs, make sure you get the real deal (not ones from China or on the internet -- they are fakes) but get the ones from last year. It will save you a lot of money. Don't be afraid to mix and match your irons, driver, hybrids, and putter. Just get what works for you. The Taylor Made burner with the white head is an exceptional driver, as is the hybrid.

We will have to play sometime mate when you are over. Got friendly with the General Manager of Celtic Manor on holiday, going to head down there for a game some time.

Definitely Leo. Maybe later in the summer. I'll be there at the beginning of July, but I'll be tied up with taking care of my parents. Let's not do Celtic though. I'd rather do Lytham, Birkdale or Formby up near you, or Pennard or Royal Porthcawl near me.

Anyone played Royal Dornoch? Is it too much for the casual golfer given the fees are around £100, supposed to be a great course though.

Had a walk around it when I worked up in the area years ago, wouldnt pay the price for it tho, its an old fashined links so you need loads of golf balls as well.

Lots of gorse bushes and hidden bunkers. far too tough for the casual golfer.

I played a few of the courses in that area when I worked up there, Tain is nice but links again, little 9 holer at Bonar Bridge is beautiful, a parkland.

Strathpeffer and Nairn are nice as well.