By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Olympics : Lucas vs Mascherano

Argentina knock out rivals Brazil (BBC)

Argentina beat Brazil 3-0 to set up an Olympic final against Nigeria in the men's football competition.

Sergio Aguero put Argentina ahead on 53 minutes when he chested in a low cross before his glanced shot added a second.

Ronaldinho's free-kick hit the post for Brazil and Alexandre Pato was dubiously ruled offside when he touched in a Marcelo cross in the aftermath.

Juan Riquelme's penalty finished off a Brazil side who had Lucas Leiva and Thiago Neves sent off late on.

Lucas was sent off on 81 minutes for a foul on Liverpool team-mate Javier Mascherano, who was also the victim of a challenge which saw Neves see red minutes later.

The tackles were a signal of Brazil's frustration towards the end of a match in which they only came to life after conceding the opening goal early in the second half.

Up to then, Argentina had shaded a tight affair as both sides lacked a clinical edge in the final third.

But Aguero changed that when he guided home a powerfully struck Angel di Maria cross off his chest from six yards.

Almost immediately, Rafael Sobis hit the post with a well-struck shot as Brazil finally threatened the Argentine goal.

Brazil left themselves exposed searching for an equaliser and Lionel Messi's run across the box started an attack which saw Ezequiel Garay drive in a low cross and Aguero touch in for his side's second just before the hour mark.

Ronaldinho then saw his 25-yard set piece curler come back off the post as the woodwork again denied Brazil and, even though Pato seemed level when he sidefooted in Marcelo's cross, he was ruled offside.

Brazil's misery was only compounded when Riquelme stroked in a penalty after Breno's foul on Aguero and by their late dismissals.

Argentina emerged deserved winners and they will now go on to defend their Olympic title from Athens four years ago.

Just watched it... that ref certainly didn't like tackles from behind... though IMO, both tackles were a bit cynical.

Ya , lucas followed up ever so slightly with the other leg also. wasnt just a stride in my opinion but I may be wrong. I think the matter should be investigated by rafa and if it turns out that Lucas was venting some kind of bad blood, then he should be delth with harshly.

However, maybe, just maybe Lucas was simply trying to get home earlier (due to the 3rd place playoff) and knew what he was doing when he made that tackle.

just saw the highlights. who was that commentator on bbc, he was a shocker. red card for lucas a bit harsh. IMO

I agree, both reds were harsh, the commentator was shocking

Masch was great, he is taking the Hamman fall to a new level

Ya , lucas followed up ever so slightly with the other leg also. wasnt just a stride in my opinion but I may be wrong. I think the matter should be investigated by rafa and if it turns out that Lucas was venting some kind of bad blood, then he should be delth with harshly.

Don't be such a drama queen, I am sure I saw Lucas go to Mascherano to apologize straight away

Both red cards were ridiculous. If he reffed in the Premier league most of his matches would have to be abandoned through lack of players. Anyone know who was co-commentating, seems to have the same level of understanding of football as a bad Jeff Winter?

And I'm sure Masch and Lucas have seen/been in worse tackles in training. There'll be no lasting animosity.

so when are we signing Barry?

If we sign him before 31st August, then i am sure there will be a cluase inserted which will prevent him from playing for us against Aston Villa and and as thank you Villa will drop couple million quids off the price.

Guest GrandpaSimpson
If we sign him before 31st August, then i am sure there will be a cluase inserted which will prevent him from playing for us against Aston Villa and and as thank you Villa will drop couple million quids off the price.

:lol:

wishful thinking, you can only do that for a loaned player and not for a player that is actually bought and sold

feel bad for lucas who had a great tournament, didnt have a great game today though..

Masch was fantastic again...people might think that their side revolves round riquelme and messi, but really masch is the one controlling it...time and time again he brought the ball out of midfield looking for one of the playmakers...

Plus his 30 yard run when he was taken out by lucas was awesome!

wishful thinking, you can only do that for a loaned player and not for a player that is actually bought and sold

You can put any clause in a contract that you like, as long as both parties agree.

Like Anelka's infamous Ixnay on the aygay umorsray clause.

Edited by Paul Caruso

You can put any clause in a contract that you like, as long as both parties agree.

Like Anelka's infamous Ixnay on the aygay umorsray clause.

Fairly sure a clause preventing a player on another team from playing against you would constitute third party interference and would thus be illegal.

Unless of course man u did it, with say Howard.