By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Alexei Sayle

Murphman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I found him a bit snivelling at times. He's wondering why Liverpool has a reputation for whining and feeling under siege and he spends the whole documentary feeling upset at how he was treated

very interesting portrayal of the social history of the city..nice to see that!

I disagree.

think on

he's a scouser whos finding that he's having to change his opinion about his home city because he was wrong. therefore he represents the rest of the country (and non scousers) and because he's a scouser eating humble pie it resonates more. he can also better articulate our reasons for being as we are.

and of course he f***ing wrote it

Edited by Mike

its called Alexei Sayle's Liverpool....be a bit silly if Fred Dibnah was doing it.

Considering he's dead, it wuld have been impossible.

Sayle is uo his own a*** at the best of times, and if he wants to move back as said elsewhere, why now? Oh thats because it's one of the cool places to be, like London was when he f***ed off.

We'll be getting Tarby and Cilla back at this f***ing rate.

think on

he's a scouser whos finding that he's having to change his opinion about his home city because he was wrong. therefore he represents the rest of the country (and non scousers) and because he's a scouser eating humble pie it resonates more. he can also better articulate our reasons for being as we are.

and of course he f***ing wrote it

I've been told elsewhere that other people were feeding him a lot of the lines for the filming, so i doubt he wrote too much of it.

Considering he's dead, it wuld have been impossible.

Sayle is uo his own a*** at the best of times, and if he wants to move back as said elsewhere, why now? Oh thats because it's one of the cool places to be, like London was when he f***ed off.

We'll be getting Tarby and Cilla back at this f***ing rate.

ha

sayle is a scouser jon...

I've been told elsewhere that other people were feeding him a lot of the lines for the filming, so i doubt he wrote too much of it.

irrelevant hearsay.

the first part of the post was the relevant bit.

And?

born and bred here, parents lived here.

he's got more right to have a say on here than any johnny come lately ooters who only turned up here for football or because its trendy now. thats what.

he can do what the f*** he likes, its his hometown. wheres yours?

He has publicly criticized liverpool in the past which gives this a good context. Everything that he has said about the city before, most of us have said to friends or thought. He just did it in public, and was perceived to be getting a laugh out of londoners at our expense, I don't think it was his intention, he obviously regrets it, and I can't wait to see this. Always had respect for the guy, his early comedy is excruciating to watch now, but i liked his own series.

Bobby Chariot should've had his own series, a la Alan Partridge.

Guest mike_m

Just watched it on iPlayer (thank you pickaproxy.com) and really enjoyed it.

I thought Sayle was a fitting and appropriate presenter.

Sayle is about the same age as me, and left at almost the same time as me to do the same thing - go to art college...I suspect he may also have realised as I did that the chance of ever making a decent living or finding a worthwhile job at that time in Liverpool was almost nil.

Criticizing the city is not a crime - I've done it myself here - highlighting our tendency (including my own) toward sentimental nostalgia and parochialism, occasionally dabbling in politics that are more about adopting a (to use a Sayleism) 'Radical Posture' than addressing the true problems of the day. Never think for a moment though that the city is not ingrained on my soul - or his so far as I can tell.

For decades, Liverpool was a city you came from - not went to - if you wanted to try your hand at things beyond the everyday. Unemployment and underfunding pretty much guaranteed a regular exodus - the Ireland of the North West as was. Now, as with ireland, things have changed and he's reassessing. I can't see the fault in that.

I wrote the above before watching it on iplayer. I thought the programme was excellent - loved the S*N burning - and stand by the above comments.

You have often have no real idea what Liverpool really is until you've left it - distance gives objectivity and a better understanding, after all - you don't know what you've got 'til its gone.

I wrote the above before watching it on iplayer. I thought the programme was excellent - loved the S*N burning - and stand by the above comments.

You have often have no real idea what Liverpool really is until you've left it - distance gives objectivity and a better understanding, after all - you don't know what you've got 'til its gone.

I was the other way around - because I'd lived pretty much all over the country - when I moved to Merseyside when I was 13, then to Liverpool when I was 19 I apprecaited it for what it is - the most welcoming, vibrant, friendly and brilliant place in the UK (If not the world!)

It has its problems like any other City - but the good far, far outweighs the bad (Although the good is never reported as much.. Unlike the bad..)