By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Nicolas Anelka

14 million pounds? for what?

He must be the most over-rated footballer to have every played the game. In a 100 years people will look at his CV and think that the biggest clubs in Europe coveted his services. They'll look at the transfer fees paid for him and gasp at the monies splashed out for his services.

I just hope some Football Historians are documenting his each and every move such that those in the future truely know the player he is.

And no, this is not a knee-jerk to the penalty miss, its a statement that's applicable to his Chelsea career, and clubs before that.

mercenary c***!

He has always had a poor strike rate, childish attitude and lazy demeanour.

However, he is quick, expensive and French. Therefore he must be good.

Post Arsenal yes. He has himself and his brothers to blame. Should have stayed at Arsenal.

Guest RedLegend

My reaction when I saw him walk up?

NOT f***ING ANELKA FFS!!!

Then I saw him do a one yard run-up and I knew he wouldn't put the ball in that net even if there was no keeper there.

when Tyldsley said " Anelka, the former Liverpool and Man city player" i knew that was it!!!!!

It's strange, because I thought someone so emotionally devoid, or to put it kindly, a cool head, would have no problems in that situation. I fully expected him to nail it.

My reaction when I saw him walk up?

NOT f***ING ANELKA FFS!!!

Then I saw him do a one yard run-up and I knew he wouldn't put the ball in that net even if there was no keeper there.

Why would you ever let Anelka take a do or die penno? It defies logic. I think playing Cech in midfield all match and Makalele in goal would be a more logical decision.

Edit: and even if the order is pre-decided, I would have had him literally 2nd to last, right before Cech.

Edited by CaptainXabi

It's a massive shame Ronaldo's awful pen will fade into insignificance.

"He's human after all."

Had United lost, it would've been: "The arrogant, selfish, indulgent run up of Ronaldo, in a defiant display of 'look what I can do' gobs***ery ultimately lost his team the cup".

My mate claims that Anelka was strolling around a while after his penalty miss with a smile on his face, and laughing and joking with Platini.

I turned off as soon as van der Sar saved, so I don't know if this display of c***ishness actually happened.

Nothing would surprise me with Anelka though.

He did absolutely feck all after coming on. Its as if he really couldn't give a feck.

Very overrated. Glad we didn't go back for him. I'd have Kuyt every day of the week over him - less talent, but more heart than Anelka will ever have, and he never goes missing.

Anelka's career has been one long gravy train for his family. Bags of talent but can't be arsed to use it most of the time. He'll be sold on for another 10 million in the summer and his family will benefit yet again, they obviously need the money.

Knew he'd miss that pen.

Doubt he's too bothered either.

Great talent and i still wish we'd signed him instead of Diouf, but he's been terrible for Chelsea.

Not played in his position an awful lot granted, but he doesn't look interested. Bottler.

It's a massive shame Ronaldo's awful pen will fade into insignificance.

Agree!

The thought of them losing the game due to his miss was too good to be true!

Going off topic I know, but, great player but his first priority so often seems to be trying to be clever and making a dick out of the opposition. Ferguson should knock that out of him.

Edited by Swipe

I had the same feeling last night when Vassell missed in Euro 2004 vs Portugal.

On that occassion, 2 defenders stepped up to the spot before he did.

Last night, Terry and and Cole stepped up before him.

Its not generally a good sign when strikers are willing to let defenders take crucial pens ahead of them !

How do you work that one out ? Terry had a chance to score a winning pen, Anelka had his weak effort saved and it handed the mancs the victory.

Terry had the fate of the game in his own hands. Score the pen and its all over. Its not dependent on any subsequent penalties, there's no chance for Man Utd to come back, its over. End of the game.

Once he missed it became a lottery again, any player from any team could have missed, Anelka's penalty (and I'm not disagreeing he didn't look up for it, and it was a terrible penno) was simply to kep them in the game. Any one of those players in the sudden death could have screwed it up.

Terry could have won it. And he didn't.