By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

20m bid for Xabi?

Nerik

Talk in the Italian media (a couple of sites and some papers running the story) that Juve are looking to make a £20m bid for Xabi. The price is so high due to the current exchange rate. £20m is approx 25m Euros. When Xabi was bought for approx £10m it was 16m Euros back then.

Talk in the Italian media (a couple of sites and some papers running the story) that Juve are looking to make a £20m bid for Xabi. The price is so high due to the current exchange rate. £20m is approx 25m Euros. When Xabi was bought for approx £10m it was 16m Euros back then.

If thats the fee its too good to turn down (imo) however good he can be he simply hasn't played to his peak level or even close to it very often in the last 2 years. Someone like Barry on actual performances is pretty close and if the fees are to be believed we could swap them and have almost £10 million extra for other players.

Add to that apparently he isnt happy in the UK and if we're forced to sell him and can almost double our money for him thats great business

Guest Toxteth O'Grady

Good old Ranieri, overpaying for our players. In fairness, Momo is looking very good out there. Slower pace probably suits him.

Guest Beano's Dad

You make a very good point there on the exchange rate. Could be why we are looking at the likes of Barry/Bentley and looking at bargains from abroad in the Valencia fire sale. Something that we need to be aware of if we sell Riise/Carson/Pennant is that we need to be business-like about it and a bit savvy.

Alonso has played well last couple of weeks but that is due to a higher back line we play with Skrtel and Jamie especially v Chelsea than anything else. £20m for a player who would not be missed with the personnel we currently have cannot and should not be turned down.

Guest Prongsy
£20m for a player who would not be missed with the personnel we currently have

Won't be missed... you're taking the piss.

Guest Toxteth O'Grady

Great passer of the ball but still struggles with the pace and physical side, will suit the slower tempo of the Italian game.

At that price, I'd take it.

It depends however if we have Gareth Barry in the bag or not, or at least someone to take his place.

Nah. His form has been well below what he's capable of

He used to be as essential to the team as Gerrard. Now he's our third best cm

Chelsea have Mikel, Makelele, Essien, Ballack and Lampard and use all five. All are full internationals of significant repute. We have Lucas, Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard. If anything, if we want to stick with this system (and we should) and we want to compete for four trophies a season at full pelt, we may well need to add one top class centre midfielder in comparison with Chelsea (and arguably Man U), and certainly not take one away.

EDIT: Point is, that our third best centre mid needs to be a f***ing good player.

Edited by Knox_Harrington

Nah. His form has been well below what he's capable of

He used to be as essential to the team as Gerrard. Now he's our third best cm

His form this season has been variable but I think the two injuries have played a part in that. I didn't have a problem with his form last season or the season before that.

As for being our third best CM, you have to question why the quality of our football was so poor when the supposed best two CMs were paired together.

Chelsea have Mikel, Makelele, Essien, Ballack and Lampard and use all five. All are full internationals of significant repute. We have Lucas, Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard. If anything, if we want to stick with this system (and we should) and we want to compete for four trophies a season at full pelt, we may well need to add one top class centre midfielder in comparison with Chelsea (and arguably Man U), and certainly not take one away.

I'd deffo keep him if he wants to stay. His best is far better than Barry at his best, but I think the reason for his form is he wants to leave. So i'd sell

Guest Beano's Dad
Won't be missed... you're taking the piss.

Don't be a t***.

So you have no faith in Lucas or the ability of Gerrard to pass those balls through to strikers. Yes thats right another striker to link up with Torres !

For £20m think of what we could get in terms of impact players. I also think that Gerrard would link up with someone like Barry and cover for each other better than Alonso does. A great passer of the ball but very short on pace.

Guest Prongsy
It depends however if we have Gareth Barry in the bag or not

Gareth Barry is a poor substitute. He can't control the tempo like Xabi can, he is uncultured and hasn't got the football brain of Xabi.

It'll be a grave mistake to take 20m for Xabi and spend 15 of it on Barry... Torres for Cisse anyone...

Guest Anders Honoré
If he wants to leave then that's an acceptable price

My thought as well. Not the kind of price that makes me want to sell him though, unless we have a cheaper and just as good or better replacement in the wings. If Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo or some such stood ready to sign, I'd consider it. As prongsy said, it makes little sense to replace him with barry for a 5m net profit.

We need to keep hold of our best players if we want to improve, not sell them on because the fee looks good.

Edited by Anders Honoré