By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Liverpool v Chelsea - Chelsea's League Success to take toll?

Andy @ Allerton

Given Chelsea's position in the league and a gruelling match coming up against Manchester United - they really can't afford to take their foot off the gas for even one second.

Straight wins in their remaining fixtures means that they will be in touching distance of the league title - which may very well go to the last day of the season.

Given our position ahead of Everton by 5 points and the teams remaining - we have the very real possibility of not having to play any first team players in the games before the Chelsea 'Champions' League fixtures - whereas Chelsea are going to have to put out their full-strength sides in an attempt to catch the Mancs.

This surely gives us a distinct advantage in these fixtures - a weeks extra rest before and a weeks extra match in the middle mean that theoretically our players are going to be much fresher and if the tie especially goes to extra time at Stamford bridge - then who knows?

Should be an interesting thing to watch - but Chelsea really could be victims of their own success.

Time will tell!

Guest Raisbeck

We have a s***ty scoring record at Stamford Bridge which concerns me a little. I think we need to go down there with a couple of goals then try and nick one.

I wouldnt be confident if we have to go chasing the game.

Guest GrandpaSimpson

But if Chelsea dont get 6 points this week, then the league will be finished (in their eyes, in my eyes it already is) and they will put everything into the two matches against us.

Also they will be out for revenge. This team will probably (?) be broken up next season. Drogba, Lampard, Terry will see this as one last coming together, to get revenge for 07 and 05.

And thr 2nd leg is at Stamford Bridge, so I think we'll need a healthy advantage going into that game.

Guest Raisbeck
And thr 2nd leg is at Stamford Bridge, so I think we'll need a healthy advantage going into that game.

Need a similar display to the Inter display.

Really strong home display that forces Chelsea to come at us at their place.

Given Chelsea's position in the league and a gruelling match coming up against Manchester United - they really can't afford to take their foot off the gas for even one second.

Straight wins in their remaining fixtures means that they will be in touching distance of the league title - which may very well go to the last day of the season.

Given our position ahead of Everton by 5 points and the teams remaining - we have the very real possibility of not having to play any first team players in the games before the Chelsea 'Champions' League fixtures - whereas Chelsea are going to have to put out their full-strength sides in an attempt to catch the Mancs.

This surely gives us a distinct advantage in these fixtures - a weeks extra rest before and a weeks extra match in the middle mean that theoretically our players are going to be much fresher and if the tie especially goes to extra time at Stamford bridge - then who knows?

Should be an interesting thing to watch - but Chelsea really could be victims of their own success.

Time will tell!

What i don't get is why Chelsea's weekend game has been allowed to be brought forward to Thursday. Although it gives them a busy week 'til, then, they then have 5 full days recovery time, whilst we only have 3.

What i don't get is why Chelsea's weekend game has been allowed to be brought forward to Thursday. Although it gives them a busy week 'til, then, they then have 5 full days recovery time, whilst we only have 3.

Sky scheduling.

They are not happy about it either, as they have 2 games in 4 days.

I am more confident given that our record against them has been 'improving' and the advantage of having Rafa as a coach against Grant and not Mourinho.

Chelsea have not faced anybody with any real quality in the Champions League - a poor Valencia is about the guts of it.

They have drawn to Rosenberg at home and not been convincing away to Olympiacos and Fenerbahce - I think the test of facing Rafa and given our improving results and good squad - this will be a factor for me. I dont think fatigue comes into too much for me as they have rotated their players quite a bit this season.

Any, no more rambling - I am confident we can do (and that worrys me as well)

Guest Raisbeck

As Rory touches on there, we are probably facing the "weakest" Chelsea for some time - fans are after the manager, some player issues off the field.

Dont think it will matter a jot in the 180 odd mins though.

As Rory touches on there, we are probably facing the "weakest" Chelsea for some time - fans are after the manager, some player issues off the field.

Dont think it will matter a jot in the 180 odd mins though.

They're in the CL semis and still very much in contention for the title. Not really a 'weak' Cheslea, this model.

Guest Raisbeck
They're in the CL semis and still very much in contention for the title. Not really a 'weak' Cheslea, this model.

Didnt say weak though did I?

I said "weakest"

Clearly they are not in the same kind of form as when we have played them in the two semis previously. Chelsea are still an excellent side but I dont think they are the same machine they were under Mourinho.

As crazy as it sounds, I worry that they'll want it more. They've had four semis in five years and not made a single final. Still, I thought that last year too and look what happened. We've also got Athens to put right.

I think you think him up wrong DH, in the past 2 semi's things are the same as they are now i.e. them in contention for the league and us being a good bit back.

At least this time, their manager (I believe) is not as strong as Mourinho whilst we have a better squad that is in very good form.

As crazy as it sounds, I worry that they'll want it more. They've had four semis in five years and not made a single final. Still, I thought that last year too and look what happened. We've also got Athens to put right.

Thats what I thought for the semi final in the FA Cup and then again last year.

A clean sheet victory in the first leg will be crucial IMO. We struggle to score down there, so we're looking at needing something like a 2-0 in the 1st leg, in order to make the 2nd game fairly comfortable (as comfortable as a CL semi final could be).

1-0 would be cardiac arrest stuff...but i'd take it.

youll walk it....no problems at all...sure they havent done you in europe yet and as andy well tell you that means youll definitely beat them this time.

thats how football works.

Very clever. BTW if you want to tell someone how football works, stick to your owns fans. When it comes to Europe you don't have the experience. :popcorn:

the advantage of having Rafa as a coach against Grant and not Mourinho.

I actually see this as a disadvantage over previous years. Rafa could rely on Mourinho to try and pull a rabbit out of the hat and f*** it up. Grant doesn't have that power, short of playing Anelka at LM there isn't much he can do to f*** it up. The players know their jobs, go out and perform, they don't need the manager telling them what to do they have been doing it for years.

Reminds me of the 'which defensive system question Ranieri asked at Valencia' The Chelsea players will play how they play and that will make them harder to beat IMO. I think this tie is as tough as 2005 (always felt we had the edge last year) and we dont have the luxury of the 12th man for the second leg.

Hardest game yet IMO.

What has Mourinho done in previous ties to "try and pull a rabbit out of the hat"?

In the FA Cup in 2006 he played a diamond midfield against us leaving Joe Cole and Robben on the bench. In 2005 they were ultra cautious and let us get away with a 0-0 at Stamford Bridge as they clearly believed that they would score at Anfield. In 2007 he didn't really do anything wrong, they battered us at the Bridge but only came away with a 1-0.