Sign in to follow this  
Molby

Vinyl

Reckon this is about right, rather than any meaningful audio advantages.[/quote

As well as, you mean

You got muddled up

I listened to my brothers' records a lot as a youth but my own vinyl purchases were few and far between - the odd single - I grew up in the era of CD's. Anyway, gave most of my cd's away, bar the sentimental ones, so enjoying getting into vinyl. I enjoy the perusing, purchasing, upkeep and listening of vinyl and I do listen to albums more keenly. Loads of great record shops near me too. Also, the sound is just crisper, no escaping that.

Most of my recent purchases have been classics and ones I deem to be essential to own but enjoying the odd new one, Nick Cave, Lambchop etc, Also got loads of my Dad's old Beatles and blues LP's, as well as my Grandfather's old jazz stuff (Duke Ellington, Count Basie etc. Really enjoying going through it all.

I have an old Ferguson timetable (A Garrard MKIV) and a Leak 3200 amp/tuner. I detail this stuff like I know what I'm on about, but the reality is that there's a bloke near me who renovates them and if you can bear the 45 mins of belt-driven vs direct-drive chat, he comes up trumps. Pretty sure I paid 30% d*ckhead tax but it looks and sounds great. The speakers I use are from the Technics system I got for my 18th birthday - will upgrade at some point.

This my set up: https://flic.kr/p/PeTtRQ

Edited by Stanley Leisure

I listened to my brothers' records a lot as a youth but my own vinyl purchases were few and far between - the odd single - I grew up in the era of CD's. Anyway, gave most of my cd's away, bar the sentimental ones, so enjoying getting into vinyl. I enjoy the perusing, purchasing, upkeep and listening of vinyl and I do listen to albums more keenly. Loads of great record shops near me too. Also, the sound is just crisper, no escaping that.

Most of my recent purchases have been classics and ones I deem to be essential to own but enjoying the odd new one, Nick Cave, Lambchop etc, Also got loads of my Dad's old Beatles and blues LP's, as well as my Grandfather's old jazz stuff (Duke Ellington, Count Basie etc. Really enjoying going through it all.

I have an old Ferguson timetable (A Garrard MKIV) and a Leak 3200 amp/tuner. I detail this stuff like I know what I'm on about, but the reality is that there's a bloke near me who renovates them and if you can bear the 45 mins of belt-driven vs direct-drive chat, he comes up trumps. Pretty sure I paid 30% d*ckhead tax but it looks and sounds great. The speakers I use are from the Technics system I got for my 18th birthday - will upgrade at some point.

This my set up: https://flic.kr/p/PeTtRQ

That's looking good man nice timber

The d****ead tax is worth paying

We lament the loss of local shops and the centralisation of retail etc but it's about the money

P and A Audio in Crosby are by no means cheap but they are so knowledgeable and love music so much that I'm happy to put all future business through them

While I was there Kate Bush came up in conversation and when I mentioned that I'd been to see her live in 2014 I got the 'we are not worthy' routine by proxy

They were LITERALLY. running around the shop with their heads in their hands and rolling on the floor ( all three of them in-their-60s who own and run it)

I'm collecting film soundtracks on vinyl.

I can't help noticing that the new Taxi Driver one has gone from my wish list :thumbs:

Edited by cymrococh

Reckon this is about right, rather than any meaningful audio advantages.

What audio files are you comparing?

I'm collecting film soundtracks on vinyl.

I can't help noticing that the new Taxi Driver one has gone from my wish list :thumbs:

We're doing the new Westworld soundtrack on vinyl shortly.

You drunk already?

Stone cold sober mate, but i will be sh*tfaced later. 

I'm serious about that. There are little messages scratched into LP's. At the middle part of the disc after the last song.

Do you all know about the secret messages scratched into the middle part of the records?

Not all that secret really. The Smiths records all had special comments etched in.

Got Lambchops Flotus so far, hoping for a few more.

Better start practicing your "oh well, I'm really happy with what I've got" face, just in case :)

Better start practicing your "oh well, I'm really happy with what I've got" face, just in case :)

James Blake's The Colour In Everything has done the job !

Think NYR is on about messages engraved onto metal master plates by the fellas at the pressing factories. 'Porky Prime Cut' was a common one on a lot of my dance 12"ers. Relates to Lancastrian record engineer:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Peckham

They are etched on the metalwork. Normally catalogue number only. We etch MPO our company on our pressings. Some labels request additional messages

My mate bought me Fuzzy Logic for Crimbo, which was handy as I bought it for him.

Also bought be Dongs of Sevotion by Smog which is a lovely gift.

Edited by Stanley Leisure

Think NYR is on about messages engraved onto metal master plates by the fellas at the pressing factories. 'Porky Prime Cut' was a common one on a lot of my dance 12"ers. Relates to Lancastrian record engineer:

Met him a couple of times.Really nice fella and fascinating process. All about the wide grooves.

I know he was and that was what I was referring to in the Smiths comment as well.

Also bought be Dongs of Sevotion by Smog which is a lovely gift.

Dress Sexy At My Funeral is an ace track.