By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Thailand

RP

An extended family holiday is apparently being planned for Christmas 2014 - that's a holiday for the extended family, not an extended holiday for the family.

Anyway ... Far East is the suggested meeting point and Thailand appears to be favourite at the moment.

I know it's been discussed on here plenty of times, but I really can't be arsed to trawl through the drivel. Anyone got any serious recommendations for location/resort/hotel?

Looking for something luxurious but reasonable in terms of cost - 'good value' is the aim. Need excellent food, beaches etc.

Any thoughts?? Only name thrown into the mix so far has been Ko Phi Phi ... but I have no knowledge of it whatsoever.

Koh Samui is a crap hole.

Phi Phi, Phuket and Krabi are better.

Langkawi kicks the s*** out of all them for a family break - better food, more choice of beaches and stuff to do, better value, and most importantly less t***s who have read the Beach and are trying to re-live it. Can fly direct there too on Malaysian Airlines.

There's s***loads of resorts but also some decent smaller hotels too.

If it's beaches you're after then I would recommend Koh Lanta, some very good places on the west side of the island. I stayed at the one below not long ago after a short stay at another hotel closer to town. Will take you approx 2 hours to travel from Krabi airport.

http://www.pimalai.com/

Plenty of other decent resorts on Koh Lanta too if you're looking for something a bit more budget-friendly.

Can also recommend some decent places on Samet etc to on the northern side (moobantalay spa resort is very nice but a bit more secluded).

Personally I would avoid phi phi, really not worth the bother even the boat trips around to maya bay etc now are a hassle.

Phi Phi, Phuket and Krabi are better.

Langkawi kicks the s*** out of all them for a family break - better food, more choice of beaches and stuff to do, better value, and most importantly less t***s who have read the Beach and are trying to re-live it. Can fly direct there too on Malaysian Airlines.

There's s***loads of resorts but also some decent smaller hotels too.

there's still loads of nice places on samui. just stay away from chaweng. phi phi is hell on earth these days - totally over-developed, barely any space left anywhere and annoying tw*t kids everywhere getting drunk on buckets and claiming to be having a spiritual experience.

would go koh samet or koh lanta probably. koh chang is still really nice as well, proper away from it all. phuket still has some nice bits in bangtao, surin and kamala, but patong, kata and karon are f***ing horrible and the incessant ripoffs and scams just wind you up too much.

oh and for good deals on nice hotels just use agoda.com - that has the best offers around.

Edited by Stevie H

phi phi is hell on earth these days - totally over-developed, barely any space left anywhere and annoying tw*t kids everywhere getting drunk on buckets and claiming to be having a spiritual experience.

Really? That's sad, went there in 2006 and it was perfect, just getting back on its feet after the tsunami. I hated Koh Panyang for the same reasons it sounds like Phi Phi suffers from now.

Really? That's sad, went there in 2006 and it was perfect, just getting back on its feet after the tsunami. I hated Koh Panyang for the same reasons it sounds like Phi Phi suffers from now.

it's a bloody tragedy really. it was stunning, and still is as an island of course - and if you want to experience somewhere totally away from it all where there are no roads and no cars it is still worth a visit. i wouldn't stay more than one night though. the development has just gone nuts and things are built on top of each other, so it just feels like a packed, overcrowded town rather than a paradise island.

do you mean koh phangan of full moon party fame? there are still plenty of places you can get away on phangan because it's a bigger island. just stay well away from had rin.

it's a bloody tragedy really. it was stunning, and still is as an island of course - and if you want to experience somewhere totally away from it all where there are no roads and no cars it is still worth a visit. i wouldn't stay more than one night though. the development has just gone nuts and things are built on top of each other, so it just feels like a packed, overcrowded town rather than a paradise island.

do you mean koh phangan of full moon party fame? there are still plenty of places you can get away on phangan because it's a bigger island. just stay well away from had rin.

Yeah, poor spelling there. I think we were in had rin, friends had been to the FMP a few years before that. Incessant drug offers, western tourists getting pissed up and nothing to do apart from shelter from the blazing sun.

On phi phi we stayed at a place away from the centre, Long Beach? Was far enough away to be nicely quiet at night but only a short trip over to bars in the evening.

Yeah, poor spelling there. I think we were in had rin, friends had been to the FMP a few years before that. Incessant drug offers, western tourists getting pissed up and nothing to do apart from shelter from the blazing sun.

On phi phi we stayed at a place away from the centre, Long Beach? Was far enough away to be nicely quiet at night but only a short trip over to bars in the evening.

long beach is the one you get round to in the longtail boats isn't it. that's still the case but there is just loads more accommodation been built there and absolutely everywhere else now.

koh lanta, koh kood, and koh lipe are probably about the nicest on the andaman side now really. koh samet and koh chang in the gulf.

I was thinking along the lines of the question being about a family holiday. Impiana is at the very end of a lovely beach right at the headland of the island, far removed from Chaweng. Quiet, nice food, great service, totally family-orientated but also with a bar right on the beach just a few yards up that stays open as long as you want it to.

Koh Samui also has the cutest airport in the world.

long beach is the one you get round to in the longtail boats isn't it. that's still the case but there is just loads more accommodation been built there and absolutely everywhere else now.

koh lanta, koh kood, and koh lipe are probably about the nicest on the andaman side now really. koh samet and koh chang in the gulf.

Yeah, longtail boats only.

Cool, been thinking of Thailand again next Feb or Easter maybe, will have a look at koh lanta and the others you mention, cheers.

All good stuff, thanks guys.

One more/last question ... going there in Dec/over Christmas - good idea or not (weather-wise)??

probably the best time of year. still hot in the day, cooler and less muggy in the evenings, no rain. sooner you book the better though as hotel prices do go up around christmas/new year.

What was the answer then?

I've given my agreement to going to Thailand.

That's it so far.

Where we actually end up my be out of my hands, but I need to influence the decision making process as much as possible!!

I've given my agreement to going to Thailand.

That's it so far.

Where we actually end up my be out of my hands, but I need to influence the decision making process as much as possible!!

you should change your title to: "bag carrier for the decision makers"