By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Sonos

Cunny

Anybody got a Sonos music system?

Are they any good?

Now we are getting a bigger house, I'm looking at getting wireless music system that can play music from Macbook, iPad or iPhone across multiple rooms.

currently have an old Bowers and Wilkins Zepellin. I believe the sound is better on the B&W speakers (which you pay a premium for) but the Sonos has the better multi-room functionality?

The Sonos has a dedicated sub woofer which the Zeppelin lacks so that's abonus depending on your tastes. I'd actually look at using a device with airplay and connected directly to speakers. I'm not entirely convinced by the wireless setups I've heard but I've not checked for a while. I think B&W stuff is kinda over priced tbh

I went into a shop for a demo recently, sounded great to me - we're going to get it at Xmas. One sub-woofer for the kitchen/diner and two or three others dotted around the house.

You will only have a sub in one of your rooms? That deliberate or a compromise?

I have a couple of Sonos components, a Zone player (ZP90 iirc) downstairs hooked into my amp and a standalone speaker (Play 5) that we use around the house.

Both work really well, plus the app (available for both IOS and Android) is really good and absolutely negates the need to buy a dedicated controller.

Coupled with a decent NAS I think its one of the best thing I have bought in ages.

Edited by Hus

I have 5 rooms set up - changed our family's listening habits forever

1 x bridge and running through a 5.1 system which is also running the tv sound etc

2 x rooms with Play5's (these have great sound for a standalone)

2 x rooms running from a single zone player with 4 ceiling speakers (2 to each room) and 1 x sub serving the 2 rooms

The system itself is first class BUT can be a pain in the a*** if you are running by wireless (better to use a powered ethernet socket http://www.powerethernet.com so you can just plug in whatever Sonos component you want) or if you are trying to control from too many controllers on ipad etc

Highly recommend but not cheap for scaling, I have built up the above stuff over the past 6 years.

We're gonna get one of these for the big room:

http://www.sonos.com.../products/play5

Then a few of these for upstairs and the front room.

http://www.sonos.com.../products/play3

I thought the big one was a sub. Which it isn't. My mistake.

I dont know much about these things but thought it sounded odd to have a sub not in the room.

I'm sticking to my old school Naim/Spendor 2 channels.

Yep

Love it. Picked most of it up used but very very happy with it and the only real issue I had was with a router that was dying but that only showed itself in the Sonos dropping off the network. I run it through Bose jewel cubes in one room (with the TV being a "line in" so we can get loud telly) as well as a pair of wharfedale shelf speakers in another room.

• 3 months later...

I'm looking to get one - qu, if anyone knows - what's the score with hooking a turntable up with it? I know I can get some Audio Tecnhica TTs with built in preamps, but I'm more leaning towards a Rega right now

Most of the Sonos components take a direct audio aux input - which you could do from a turntable via an amp

Been running a sonos system for a few years now. Gradually built it out to cover the house and couldn't be happier with it. Nothing better out there right now for ease of set up, room sync and ability to play separate music in different rooms.

With the B&W's if you get a Connect (the old ZP100) you can wire it in the aux at the back. Then press the power button on the zeppelin until the light turns green and its good to go. We have it set up like this and it works well. I have done the same with my main audio system. Also have a set of outdoor polk speakers and sub hooked up through a connect:amp (ZP120). All my music is on a NAS and it works seamlessly. I like the look of the new soundbar and sub for a tv setup but it aint a cheap combo...

The only issues you might have are if you have thick stone walls or concrete with rebar which causes a bit of a faraday cage effect. Then you might need to wire the system or arrange them so there is a better line of sight. Also if you have multiple routers through the house using different wifi bands (also check your neighbours), you need to ensure you have a pretty clean frequency band otherwise you may get drop outs/stuttering on wireless parts of your setup. These can be annoying if you have an update to run because it can fail for the same reasons and sonos won't let you play music till youre updated - always seems to happen just before a party... However you can get around this with a third party sonos controller like phonos which lets you play music without forcing an update.

I'm testing the water with a Sonos 1 - idea is to get the family hooked and then I don't get grief when I go for the whole system :cool:/>

I just hope they like it.

Edited by RP

Got a 3 yesterday (John Lewis doing a free Bridge with any purchase), don't know why I waited so long, it's a brilliant system and I can't believe how easy it was to set up.

Got it hooked up to my music on a Time Capsule HD but it's mostly Spotify I'll be using it for. Also, I was shown a hack for Soundcloud which works a treat - you can get it here. Hoping there's a mixcloud one imminent.

Will probably get another 3 for upstairs in the new year.

Edited by Stanley Leisure

Got a 3 yesterday (John Lewis doing a free Bridge with any purchase), don't know why I waited so long, it's a brilliant system and I can't believe how easy it was to set up.

Got it hooked up to my music on a Time Capsule HD but it's mostly Spotify I'll be using it for. Also, I was shown a hack for Soundcloud which works a treat - you can get it here. Hoping there's a mixcloud one imminent.

Will probably get another 3 for upstairs in the new year.

Thanks for this. I have only just started using soundcloud, and I'm still not sure what it gives me that I don't get from Spotify. I mainly play from Spotify through my sonos, or use it for radio.

Thanks for this. I have only just started using soundcloud, and I'm still not sure what it gives me that I don't get from Spotify. I mainly play from Spotify through my sonos, or use it for radio.

A lot of bands use it to preview new material, Arcade Fire had bits of Reflektor on there a few weeks before the full release, for example, but the main thing I use it for is the DJ sets. 6Music always put their artist-exclusive ones up there, Outfit had a great ambient one up the other day and, as you say, Ladytron use it too. I don't use it as much as Spotify but it's a great option of you're looking for something a bit different.

Edited by Stanley Leisure