By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Old rugby

New York Red

There was a program on last night showing old Rugby Union games. Classics I suppose. They showed the British Lions vs New Zealand from 1966.

I can remember watching rugby live as far back as 1971 but I couldn't remember it being as bad as this. The line outs were an absolute joke. Just chucking it in to a big cluster of blokes, plus there seemed to be one every minute. The scrums were incredible. No binding, no set, just a sloppy mess with a very aggressive hook. It reminded me more of a League scrum. The biggest surprise for me was in the rucks and mauls. Everybody was offside and it seemed like the ref couldn't care less. It was absolute mayhem.

Obviously the size and fitness of the players was vastly different (Dai Watkins looked like he was about 5'5"), but even the legends of the game like Mike Gibson and Willie-John McBride looked absolutely rubbish.

It really is a different game now. It's no wonder everyone went North. You'd be crazy not to.

There was a program on last night showing old Rugby Union games. Classics I suppose. They showed the British Lions vs New Zealand from 1966.

I can remember watching rugby live as far back as 1971 but I couldn't remember it being as bad as this. The line outs were an absolute joke. Just chucking it in to a big cluster of blokes, plus there seemed to be one every minute. The scrums were incredible. No binding, no set, just a sloppy mess with a very aggressive hook. It reminded me more of a League scrum. The biggest surprise for me was in the rucks and mauls. Everybody was offside and it seemed like the ref couldn't care less. It was absolute mayhem.

Obviously the size and fitness of the players was vastly different (Dai Watkins looked like he was about 5'5"), but even the legends of the game like Mike Gibson and Willie-John McBride looked absolutely rubbish.

It really is a different game now. It's no wonder everyone went North. You'd be crazy not to.

amateur sport in those days. the game was just seen as the prelude to the big drinking session after the game.

I played for my school's old boys team for a couple of years, and the game meant nothing. it was all about the beer after the game.

amateur sport in those days. the game was just seen as the prelude to the big drinking session after the game.

I played for my school's old boys team for a couple of years, and the game meant nothing. it was all about the beer after the game.

its the whole point isnt it? a social?

Was reading an article a week or so back about how the line-out has evolved to a massive degree over the last 25 years which is incredible when you think about it - it's a relativelyt ahort period but the number of rulechangs it's importantce tactically and the enormous change in the technical execution of it have gone through huge changes. I've not seen any re-runs but it would be interesting to see some of thise games from that (and I guess, other) points of view.

May well have been a less structured game than today and players got away with a lot more but it wasn't without its moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA

Still gives me goosebumps and I doubt I'll ever tire of seeing it; great commentary and summing up by the legendary Cliff Morgan.

That was light years better than what I saw. Even Pullen's line-out throw was all-world in comparison.

That's the only international that I can ever remember Cliff doing the commentary on. He really was excellent.

old football was no better either. was watching some thing on ESPN classic showing football from the 50's and 60's. it was awful stuff, giving the ball away all over the place.

It gutted me when I saw Brazil from the 1970 World Cup. Pedestrian.

i remember Joe Lydon running the length of Wembley for a try back in the 80s and they always used to show some black & white footage of some bloke missing a crucial kick in front of the posts in the Challenge Cup Final but i can't remember see a defining/iconic try.

Andrew Ettingshausen used to score some amazing length of the field efforts.

Offiah did a few of those. Think there's a classic length of the field try from Wigan which ellery Hanley finished off which got shown a lot.

Ha.. Beaten to it!

Edited by Danny Murphy

Off the top of my head ...

Grant Batty

Barry John

Phil Bennet

The amazing JPR

Gareth Edwards

Fran Cotton

David Duckham

Andy Irvine

Tom Grace

Mike Gibson

Tommy Kiernan

Willie John McBride

When rugby was rugby....

Now it's Giants v Robots where team tactics beat individual flair.

Give me the 70's every time.

Edited by Case