By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Career advice needed

jimbolala

I have just spoken to a guy about a training course for either my wife or me in gas engineering. There is a cost involved over the years to get fully qualified and i was wondering if anybody on here was a gas engineer already or had recently changed career.

My main concern is investing the money in getting fully trained without the prospect of work at the end if it.

Any advice would be welcome

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just spoken to a guy about a training course for either my wife or me in gas engineering. There is a cost involved over the years to get fully qualified and i was wondering if anybody on here was a gas engineer already or had recently changed career.

My main concern is investing the money in getting fully trained without the prospect of work at the end if it.

Any advice would be welcome

Gas is running out.

Are you just plucking a job out of thin air?

I'd be wary of paying to get trained to do a job you might not even like.

Its probably more for my wife, after having 3 kids she needs to get trained to do something to get into work, otherwise its low pay work for her. She likes the idea of that sort of work.

Is anyone here in this line of work

we' deal with gas engineers al the time - domestic and commercial property stuff

all I know is that when we call them, they don't just show up 5 mins later so they must still be busy

if nothing else, annual inspections need to be made on all rented property, by CORGI resgistered engineers

we' deal with gas engineers al the time - domestic and commercial property stuff

all I know is that when we call them, they don't just show up 5 mins later so they must still be busy

if nothing else, annual inspections need to be made on all rented property, by CORGI resgistered engineers

GSR, grandad.

Its probably more for my wife, after having 3 kids she needs to get trained to do something to get into work, otherwise its low pay work for her. She likes the idea of that sort of work.

Is anyone here in this line of work

Seeing the lack of responses indicates to me that gas engineers haven't got the time to post on here.

Leave it to the mrs.

When you say gas engineer presume you mean a heating/plumbing engineer with a Gas Safe certificate?

Money to be made but you will have to spend a good few years working for a company in order to learn the job and be in a position to go it alone.

I think Floyd might be a plumber?

When you say gas engineer presume you mean a heating/plumbing engineer with a Gas Safe certificate?

Money to be made but you will have to spend a good few years working for a company in order to learn the job and be in a position to go it alone.

I think Floyd might be a plumber?

My mrs doesnt want to go out on her own, she would prefer a decent wage working for a company. She earns nothing at the moment and this course would get her fully qualified. I am looking at the costs as an investment in her, having a trade would help out with the financials around the house. I am paid decently at the minute and an extra wage would mean a great deal to us. If she doesnt do something like this, its tescos or something similar

My mrs doesnt want to go out on her own, she would prefer a decent wage working for a company. She earns nothing at the moment and this course would get her fully qualified. I am looking at the costs as an investment in her, having a trade would help out with the financials around the house. I am paid decently at the minute and an extra wage would mean a great deal to us. If she doesnt do something like this, its tescos or something similar

I'm all for people changing careers/re training but you seem to be narrowing your options a bit?

I'm all for people changing careers/re training but you seem to be narrowing your options a bit?

The first stage is gas engineering, then there are further bits on green energy systems. There is nothing else out there for people without a set skill

Manual labour is where it's at.

I've been watching the second series of, 'The Walking Dead' and would advise people to prepare for the coming Zombie apolocalypse.

And this is the thing - they're all driving hundreds of miles trying to find a safe spot. Not one of them has thought to just dig a 6 foot trench around their house. Zombies can't climb so they're f***ed once they fall in.

Digging trenches - it's the way ahead.

HTH.

I've been watching the second series of, 'The Walking Dead' and would advise people to prepare for the coming Zombie apolocalypse.

And this is the thing - they're all driving hundreds of miles trying to find a safe spot. Not one of them has thought to just dig a 6 foot trench around their house. Zombies can't climb so they're f***ed once they fall in.

HTH.

you're partly correct - an apocalypse is coming and all my skills will be redundant

so the way forward is learning things like farming on a small scale, stuff to do with horses, mending carts and bikes, plant-based medicine etc

with regard to to the zombies, nobody wants a load of zombies baying for their blood and also regular trips need to be made from the house so the trench won't do

the answer is to drive south to Florida and find some boats and decamp to one of those small islands where rich people have mansions

there are islands with about 100 homes on them - perfect

clear out the zombies, get fishing (easy, as the stocks will be replenishing)

clear some forest and get planting and herding

easy to protect the island - need boats for coastguard-type defence

just need to figure out a fresh-water solution.... and to build a Guantanimo-type facility where new arrivals are assessed before being integrated

HTH.

Until they fill up the trench and start walking across eachother. You need away to keep the mass down.

Most Sparkies I know have now done Plumbing courses. They say there is not much difference between design and rules of wires and electricity and pipes and water/gas. apart from the obvious...

Most Plumbers I know have moved into sustainable energies as well - solar panels, wind turbines and solar tube hot***er. This could be a more interesting route.