By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Brussels

Swipe

Was there on business twice but I cant say I have ever seen the city - though people have told me I never missed much. Beer, there are pubs with menus of beer that are bigger than menus in your local restuarant. Plenty of chocolate too. I went to see the boy that pi$$e$ - tiny statue and very underwhelming.

However, given that you are only there for the weekend, I suggest a pub crawl ;)

What exactly where you expecting from a statue of a kid taking a pish? :D

Oh god. Within the last 6 months, I've been beaten to a joke by fyds and stressederic.

I might kill myself now.

I don't get it??

food and drink is fantastic in Brussels. the weekend markets are good.

read about The EU, etc

Ta. Think the girlfriends auntie works in EU.

Brussels is like any big European City with a heavy cosmpolitan core - and maybe a lot better than most give it credit for. Always enjoyed myself there and there's plenty to see, fine places to eat etc and some well priced ones at that.

Pssst, I think he is looking for examples ;)

I have a crap memory for that kind of thing unless I go there often :D

Now if he wants details for Amsterdam, Arnhem, Bastogne, Koln or (heaven forfend) Bristol - I can help :)

Wifey to the rescue - she says the best place we ate was Kelderke (Le Estaminet) - be warned - she's a huge moules fan though, so it may have primarily dealt in sea food.

Edited by fyds

I lived there as a kid and have good memories of the place. I think its reputation as the epitome of boredom is somewhat unfair.

Echo what others have said - great beer, chocolate and waffles, none of which are to be missed. Decent museums & galleries (war museum is good, if that's your thing), lots of historic architecture. Laneways housing cafes and restaurants, some of which do the best steak-frites/moules/crepes you're going to find anywhere. Lots of worthwhile weekend markets, as well as all the usual high-end shopping you would expect in an affluent European capital.

Can't add much in the way of specifics though I'm afraid, but I'd be happy enough to spend a few days there.

Ta Fyds. Not a big seafood fan myself thought i gather there's good places to eat everywhere in the city.

Well quite - it's a big city lived in by half a zillion EU workers - you'll find more fine places to eat than most big cities you go to (You're with the Polish Trade Delegation and your meal expenses should be forwarded to the commisioner should anyone ask ;)) You'd probably have to work at it a bit to find somewhere genuinely crap.

Brussells is generally a fine place and like Belgium in general, gets a bit of a comedic raw deal.

Brussels is like any big European City with a heavy cosmpolitan core - and maybe a lot better than most give it credit for. Always enjoyed myself there and there's plenty to see, fine places to eat etc and some well priced ones at that.

be more vague?

It really is boring - compared to every other European capital I've been to, this is the dullest.

The other bad thing is the weather. I've been there about 20 times with work over the last four years and it's rained every time bar one.

On the upside, there is the odd pretty corner, and the beer is superb. Restaurants are much of a muchness.

I worked in Amserdam for a couple of years and did a lot of business with companies in Brussels.

But you don't need me to tell you that its pretty dull. Enough people have already.

You're only going for the weekend though, so that's OK.

Find a table outside a bar in the Grand Square and get blind drunk (see if you can complete the entire beer menu) and people watch yourself to death.

I've spent many a cheerful hour in traffic jams on the R0 around Brussels

:D but on the upside, they've finally finished the roadworks around Antwerpen and Eindhoven - actually went through the Kennedy Tunnel in seconds several times this summer - no diversions, no heavy machinery about the place - shocked I was!