By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Thaksin skips bail

Bao

Thaksin and his wife have failed to show up for a court appearance in Bangkok this morning, and have apparently fled to the UK.

It will be interesting to see how the UK government handles this (not to mention the sweet FA and Premier League) and what it means for Citeh. I don't suppose he'll find it too easy to sell if he's an international fugitive.

Edited by Bao

This "fit and proper person" bulls*** has been shown up for what it is and needs replacing with a proper system, which involves prospective business plans, examining accounts, going through past records and a genuine system of punishments if the buyer breaks promises.

The idea that someone facing corruption charges is a "fit and proper person" because they haven't been convicted is ridiculous.

He wouldn't pass the most cursory CRB check.

over here he's still viewed as completely innocent though, because he's not been found guilty of anything and also because he made thailand a more prosperous nation as a whole. it was thaksin who opened thailand up to western tourism and inward investment so a lot of people got rich off his actions. the fact that most of the population is living unsustainably on credit cards to play up to this western ideal married to his secreting away billions of dollars of public money in offshore accounts doesn't really seem to bother anyone that much.

• 2 months later...
he's today been sentenced to two years in jail for his part in a land purchasing con. get him extradited, swapsies for gary glitter.

How did you end up in Thailand Stevie? Missed that info somewhere along the way....

All good over there I assume?

How did you end up in Thailand Stevie? Missed that info somewhere along the way....

He went there for a two weeks holiday last year but was caught smuggling drugs and and has been in a bangkok jail since then the poor sod.

alright mate, i got fed up of blighty so buggered off travelling back in march. somewhere along the way i decided to put down roots in chiang mai for a while, it's beautiful.

and yeah, all good ta man, particularly up here in the north. still a bit of palaver going on in bangkok but then there always is.