By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Berger King whoppers off home

Bo Benn

Apparently Paddy has signed for Sparta Prague. That's 12 years in the Premier League. One of my favourite Liverpool players of all time, always thought we should have kept him for another couple of years - but then I was, and am, a biased Berger-fan.

Here's a nice quote I snatched off Wikipedia:

"You know, the greatest day in my football life was the day I signed for Liverpool. I couldn’t believe it. When I was young in Czechoslovakia, we didn’t see much European football, but my father’s friend went to England and he watched Liverpool. When he came back, he gave me the programme, the ticket and a scarf. I still have them all.

When I moved to Southport to live, my neighbour was Kenny Dalglish. Alan Hansen lived around the corner. I met them, they were normal guys, but they were my heroes. To me, it’s the best club in the world and when I am finished playing and I’m telling my children about it I will be proud to say that for seven years I was a Liverpool player. "

Aaah, the memories - The freekick againt ManU in those strange green shirts, the pass to Owen in the FA Cup final, loved that goal against Derby after we had made about 20 passes in a row inside their half, mmmmm...

In our club only Gerrard can compare to his outside-the-box finishes, since I became follower around '89. Had a remarkable ability to whack 'dead' balls from a virtually stationary position only using his left leg as a pendulum.

Also the only player to ever truly be able to wear a 'mane' (yes, i am talking to you Voronin and Kewell). In fact I always felt Paddy went into a bit of a dip in form when he cut his hair short(er).

Move to the general football forum if you like, he'll always be a Liverpool player to me.

Loved him as a player, and his comments to Barry showed that he is still a legend

you are right about the mane (is that what its called? I thought it was a hair band), some papers tried to make it out like it was Beckham who brought this trend when Paddy did it long before him

While I liked Paddy I do think there's a little bit of revisionism going on about his shooting. He was Riise-esque in his proficiency in missing the target.

Yes, he scored some absolute screamers but there used to be a lot of groans when he got the ball about 30 yards out because it was more than likely heading into the stand.

While I liked Paddy I do think there's a little bit of revisionism going on about his shooting. He was Riise-esque in his proficiency in missing the target.

Yes, he scored some absolute screamers but there used to be a lot of groans when he got the ball about 30 yards out because it was more than likely heading into the stand.

If it wasn't for the chelsea OG, riise would have been remembered in the same manner in few years time

Took Buzz's kid to his first match to see us play Boro. Berger scored a screamer, Kop end, and we were right behind the goal.

Remember us signing him after Euro 96, and listening to the radio when he made his debut against Leicester.

Would have loved him to see out his career with us

Guest Snorky

Paddy will always be a favourite of mine as well. I always felt he was overlooked to much for Collymore.

Guest Snorky
If it wasn't for the chelsea OG, riise would have been remembered in the same manner in few years time

Please dont spoil this thread by mentioning the 'R' player. :(

Paddy will always be a favourite of mine as well. I always felt he was overlooked to much for Collymore.

So do I. Collymore and Fowler could be devestating together, but to often when Stan wasn't performing he was getting picked ahead of Berger.

So do I. Collymore and Fowler could be devestating together, but to often when Stan wasn't performing he was getting picked ahead of Berger.

In fairness that was statistically the most effective strike partnership in Europe at the time. So I can see why they perservered with Stan.

It was very difficult to tell the difference between Stan having a good game and Stan doing nothing anyway - usually he'd just suddenly come to life and that was it.

But I do think Berger should have played more - albeit on the left hand side where I thought he was quite effective.

On more than a few occasions, Berger would come on and change a game for us - changing the tempo entirely. I can't recall Riise ever doing that. Some fans may only remember Riise for the Chelsea own goal - I have better memories of him that that - but I can't remember Riise for a Chelsea hat-trick - I can Berger.

Can't deny he missed a few, but he had a way better hit/miss ratio Riise. Paddy had much more technique involved in his shooting, I remember some of his free-kick goals were not 'screamers' at all but lovely curled balls into the top corner (one particular vs Wimbledon I think spring to mind). More than 1 goals in every 6 games is a pretty good record for someone who mostly played as a wide midfielder. His passing ability cannot be overlooked either.

My first game at Anfield was watching Heskey's debut against Sunderland where he won a penalty and Berger absolutely smashed it home. I was delighted.

The first time i got on the kop, I bought a ticket off atout outside for that game, I emerged into the stand just intime to see paddy smash that one.

At the fact you were taking the seat from a local person?

I was so pleased I nearly dropped my jester hat.

In fairness that was statistically the most effective strike partnership in Europe at the time. So I can see why they perservered with Stan.

It was very difficult to tell the difference between Stan having a good game and Stan doing nothing anyway - usually he'd just suddenly come to life and that was it.

But I do think Berger should have played more - albeit on the left hand side where I thought he was quite effective.

It's a good point about Stan coming to life after being quite quiet.

My opinion is also coloured by the fact I like Berger and don't like Collymore.

One of the great left feet - pity about the right! Loved him as a player though and he did exude class.

On the Collymore front - if Stan had had the same work rate as Torres imagine just what a player he would have been - got a lot of time for him too now as he always backs us and shows his bias when summarising!!!

The first time i got on the kop, I bought a ticket off atout outside for that game, I emerged into the stand just intime to see paddy smash that one.

I was on the Kop that day as well.

Paddy's penalties were ace. He just hammered them in.

Guest Anders Honoré
On more than a few occasions, Berger would come on and change a game for us - changing the tempo entirely. I can't recall Riise ever doing that. Some fans may only remember Riise for the Chelsea own goal - I have better memories of him that that - but I can't remember Riise for a Chelsea hat-trick - I can Berger.

In fairness, berger played as an attacking midfielder occasional forward. Riise played at leftback and leftmidfield respectively.

Harsh on Riise to begin making such a comparison.

In fairness, berger played as an attacking midfielder occasional forward. Riise played at leftback and leftmidfield respectively.

Harsh on Riise to begin making such a comparison.

Berger was often brought on to play left midfield, just like Riise.

I think compared to some posters I was being ridiculously kind to the Ginger one!

Guest Anders Honoré
Berger was often brought on to play left midfield, just like Riise.

I think compared to some posters I was being ridiculously kind to the Ginger one!

And what Riise brought to the midfield was compactness, solidity, and physicality. When Houllier took over, the talk was how the likes of Berger would adjust to start tracking back more often. Different players meant to bring very different things to the side, long range screamers aside.

Poppyc*ck !

Paddy's shooting was relentlessly consistent, and nothin like Riise's. The problem was, that he was Babelesque in his predictability, when trying to engineer a shot on his better foot. That meant that we simply saw less and less Berger 'howitzers' as time went by.

Having said that I personally thought he was a superb, and massively underrated footballer. His 'engine' was incredible. He could run all day, and his movement was 'textbook'.