By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Transfer strategy this season...

alias75

If you look at the players we've been linked with so far and the fees being talked about for some of our players i think Rafa's strategy in the transfer market this season is quite clear. We'll get rid of certain squad players and replace them with younger better alternatives without spending anything, saving whatever money we get from the owners on 1 maybe 2 top quality signings.

The following assumes theres around £20 million for Rafa aside from what we get for player sales, i think thats a fair assumption to make and i think theres probably at least £20 million left from the £65 million that was set aside from the loan for transfers.

Deggen - FREE >>>>>>>>>>>> Finnan - +£2million

Dossena - £6-8 million >>>>>> Riise +£4 million

Barry - £12-14 million >>>>>>> Alonso +£12-15 million

So thats 3 positions changed without spending anything...

We also have the following players we could sell..

Carson £5-7 million

Pennant £6-8 million

Guthrie £2-3 million

So thats around £14-18 million on those 3 players 2 of which weren't even here this season. So thats £14-18 million we can spend on Pennants replacement so thats another position replaced without spending any money.

Then you have Crouch £8-10 million add that to whatever money Rafa's going to get from the owners (£20 million) and thats £30 million for an attacking player (or maybe 2 players)

Of course its all what ifs when we're talking about potential transfer fees but i think im being pretty realistic with my assumptions. The point is we can change 4 or 5 players and bring in a real top quality attacking player without needing huge amounts of money from the owners.

I think Rafa is saving a lot of the money hes going to get from the owners (or the banks whatever way you look at it) for 1 top quality attacking player and the other positions that need filling will be funded by player sales and bosman transfers.

6m for Pennant - in what universe?

Think thats a decent price, i dont think his value has dropped since we signed him, and he has plenty of years left on his contract, think there are plenty of teams in the 2nd tier of the PL that would pay that for Pennant.

Think thats a decent price, i dont think his value has dropped since we signed him, and he has plenty of years left on his contract, think there are plenty of teams in the 2nd tier of the PL that would pay that for Pennant.

I thought he only had one year on his contract? And I would also say his stock has cerainly fallen. He hinted at Birmingham that he could do something at a bigger club, and Liverpool paid for that potential. He has done very little in his time there to siggest he will ever be the player that people thought he might be. I dont see who's gonna pay 6m+ for him. His questionable attitude is also worth bearing in mind in terms of his desirability.

Depends whose in for Pennant. Sunderland paid £5.5M for Richardson and fees for average players were high last season as a rule with increased tv money.

Worth noting that we lose both ways in transfers. When we buy we pay agent fees/sign ons etc and similar when we sell, netting off fees doesn't actually work

According to TRANSFER RUMOURS on BBC Sport.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez will listen to offers for Alvaro Arbeloa, Jermaine Pennant and Steve Finnan as he looks to raise funds for new signings.

Xabi Alonso, Peter Crouch, Scott Carson and John Arne Riise are also available as Benitez hopes to raise £50m in sales to bolster the £20m he has been given to spend by the club's owners.

Guest Prongsy
We got him for around £2M, would you be upset if we sold him for £5M :whistle:

Yeah, 5m for an international right back that's good enough to go to Euro 2008 is worth more than that and we'd have to pay at least the same to get someone as good.

Yeah, 5m for an international right back that's good enough to go to Euro 2008 is worth more than that and we'd have to pay at least the same to get someone as good.

Arbeloa is a decent player, whos main attribute is his flexibilty.

Is he any better than Finnan at right back?

Is he any better than Aurelio at left back?

If he left for decent money, would there be a public outcry?

In answer to your specific points:

1. Riise would have gone to EURO 2008 if Norway had qualified. :popcorn:

2. Degen was a free

Finally, why are we scouring the world for full backs?

I saw somewhere United wanted 7m for Jonny Evans - now that really made me laugh!

If we get 6m for Pennant we will be seriously lucky

Massive error of a buy, money and time wasted.

I agree that Carson and Crouch should bring in some funds. I really would like Crouchie to stay though, but I understand that if a pony tailed tramp off the street gets picked ahead of you then you may want to move on...

Guest Linton
With all the players Rafa is willing to offload, I'd be surprised if we didn't get at least one big name in, but it doesn't tie up with what Elisha has said.

What did he say?

Arbeloa isn't actually that good. IMO not as good as Finnan. he has one substitute appearance for Spain, so lets keep the international thing in perspective. being an International doesnt automatically make him worth keeping. Voronin has 50 odd caps and would be going to the Euro's had Ukraine qualified. same as Riise for Norway. both full back positions need addressing, as to both wide areas in midfield. the spine of the team is very strong, its the players in the wide positions that need addressing

I thought he only had one year on his contract? And I would also say his stock has cerainly fallen. He hinted at Birmingham that he could do something at a bigger club, and Liverpool paid for that potential. He has done very little in his time there to siggest he will ever be the player that people thought he might be. I dont see who's gonna pay 6m+ for him. His questionable attitude is also worth bearing in mind in terms of his desirability.

He was easily our best attacking player in the second half of last season - this year he has had to come back from a serious injury. Dont know about his questionable attitude, it hasnt reared its head since he's been with us (save for one or two yellows and a red)

He was easily our best attacking player in the second half of last season - this year he has had to come back from a serious injury. Dont know about his questionable attitude, it hasnt reared its head since he's been with us (save for one or two yellows and a red)

you think he had a better second half of the season than Gerrard or Kuyt? he had one decent game at Birmingham.

Guest GrandpaSimpson
If you look at the players we've been linked with so far and the fees being talked about for some of our players i think Rafa's strategy in the transfer market this season is quite clear. We'll get rid of certain squad players and replace them with younger better alternatives without spending anything, saving whatever money we get from the owners on 1 maybe 2 top quality signings.

The following assumes theres around £20 million for Rafa aside from what we get for player sales, i think thats a fair assumption to make and i think theres probably at least £20 million left from the £65 million that was set aside from the loan for transfers.

Deggen - FREE >>>>>>>>>>>> Finnan - +£2million

Dossena - £6-8 million >>>>>> Riise +£4 million

Barry - £12-14 million >>>>>>> Alonso +£12-15 million

So thats 3 positions changed without spending anything...

We also have the following players we could sell..

Carson £5-7 million

Pennant £6-8 million

Guthrie £2-3 million

So thats around £14-18 million on those 3 players 2 of which weren't even here this season. So thats £14-18 million we can spend on Pennants replacement so thats another position replaced without spending any money.

Then you have Crouch £8-10 million add that to whatever money Rafa's going to get from the owners (£20 million) and thats £30 million for an attacking player (or maybe 2 players)

Of course its all what ifs when we're talking about potential transfer fees but i think im being pretty realistic with my assumptions. The point is we can change 4 or 5 players and bring in a real top quality attacking player without needing huge amounts of money from the owners.

I think Rafa is saving a lot of the money hes going to get from the owners (or the banks whatever way you look at it) for 1 top quality attacking player and the other positions that need filling will be funded by player sales and bosman transfers.

Some fair points there but you're dreaming if you think anyone would pay 6-8m for Pennant!!

More like 3m.