By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The Best 3 Live Gigs Ever.

Cliff M

Great for very different reasons:

1. Pink Floyd Premiering 'Dark Side of the Moon' Earls Court 1973

2. Talking Heads 'Stop Making Sense' Boston 1982

3. Kraftwerk 'Autobahn' tour, Liverpool Empire 1974

Great for very different reasons:

1. Pink Floyd Premiering 'Dark Side of the Moon' Earls Court 1973

2. Talking Heads 'Stop Making Sense' Boston 1982

3. Kraftwerk 'Autobahn' tour, Liverpool Empire 1974

I was at your #3. It was my #5. Fantastic opening with the robots standing at the keyboards then the real guys came in. The Stylophone with the crowd was a good touch too. Actually it was the Royal Court I'd seen them on.

Edited by Cliff M

I was at your #3. It was my #5. Fantastic opening with the robots standing at the keyboards then the real guys came in. The Stylophone with the crowd was a good touch too. Actually it was the Royal Court I'd seen them on.

It may well have been the Royal Court 0 I can't remember that well now, 34 years on! I'd seen the interview with them on 'Tomorrow's world' and ashed down to see them. Do you remember the neon boxes they had with their names in that came on insequence? Florian Schneider's didn't and with a set grin he commenced kicking the sh*t out of it until it did!

There really had been nothing like them at that point - it was a real signpost for things to eventually come.

Reminds me - I also saw them do 'Radioactivity' in Bremen about 18 months later - that was wonderful - still my favourite album of theirs, that.

1. Van Morrison - Bridgewater Hall 2008

2. Neil Diamond - MEN Arena 2000(ish)

3. Ryan Adams - Manchester (can't remember where) - purely for the fella leaving the gig (it went on for such a long time) who shouted "Ryan! Ryan! I'm off home, last bus is going in minute. See ya!" To which Adams stopped playing and told the audience "Is that the coolest guy or what?"

It may well have been the Royal Court 0 I can't remember that well now, 34 years on! I'd seen the interview with them on 'Tomorrow's world' and ashed down to see them. Do you remember the neon boxes they had with their names in that came on insequence? Florian Schneider's didn't and with a set grin he commenced kicking the sh*t out of it until it did!

There really had been nothing like them at that point - it was a real signpost for things to eventually come.

Reminds me - I also saw them do 'Radioactivity' in Bremen about 18 months later - that was wonderful - still my favourite album of theirs, that.

Yeh, they were groundbreakers alright. I got the 12" 3 track EP which glowed in the dark. It was great at the time.

Richard Hawley just this week at the Albert Hall might have sneaked into mine - in fact, yes it has - it was ace. Closely run by Sigur Ros a couple of years ago at Hammersmith Apollo.

I'd add Arcade Fire at Brixton last year and probably Oasis at Knebworth in 96 - bit cheesy and they're awful now but it was the year I left school and was only my second gig ever and it turned out to be a era-defining concert.

Saw Curtis Mayfield twice in the late 80's in Leeds and he was amazing both times, Kraftwerk at Tribal Gathering was the most intense expectant atmosphere I've ever known at a gig, they hadn't played live in years, the roar when they finally appeared was as loud as I've ever heard and it didn't really stop for the whole set. White Stripes at The Social up here was brilliant, I hadn't heard a single track before going to the gig, it's still one of the best I've ever seen. Orbital at a NYE warehouse party in Sydney in 1991 was pretty special too. There's been to many other great performances to narrow it down to 3.

Not strictly a live gig, but Pink Floyd: Live At Pompeii

Ones I've been to...

AC/DC Kings Hall, Belfast

U2, Croke Park 1984

Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Clarendon Dock, Belfast

My Bloody Valentine, Queen's Students' Union, Belfast, early 90's

Others that come close...

Hawkwind, last gig they had in The Ulster Hall, Belfast

Self Aid, RDS, Dublin 1985

Crosby, Stills and Nash, Point Theatre, Dublin

Half Man Half Biscuit, Reading, 1991? reunion?

Mudhoney, same event

Ozric Tentacles, Edinburgh, 1992

Not strictly a live gig, but Pink Floyd: Live At Pompeii

Ones I've been to...

U2, Croke Park 1984 early 1985...i was 13...all i can remember from this is drinking half my cider then making snakebite

Self Aid, RDS, Dublin 1985 1986...a great day out but some truly awful music was endured that day...scullion, bagatelle, blue in heaven, freddie white, in tua nua, cactus world news...christ the list is endless...some great stuff though as well...

oh and shouldnt john martyn conor hall 92 get a mention? ;)

neil young - rds simmonscourt dubin 87

csn - point dublin - 92

page and plant - point 92

the fureys and davy arthur - the nesbitt arms hotel, Ardara 1987

oh and shouldnt john martyn conor hall 92 get a mention? ;)

neil young - rds simmonscourt dubin 87

csn - point dublin - 92

page and plant - point 92

the fureys and davy arthur - the nesbitt arms hotel, Ardara 1987

Are you sure Self Aid wasn't the year after Live Aid? Not sure now meself.

And yes, 92 John Martyn is where I met me missus and was an excellent gig, but I was keeping that to meself as that extra bit special.