By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

If Man u equal our record next season...

And we do the usual of realistically being out of the title race by December - Would you be in favour of Rafa stepping down and letting someone else have a go? And if not, how long will you accept the cycle of good run in Europe balanced with 3/4 position in the league?*

Personally, I know it is only speculation but if we were to buy Milner and Barry this summer then to me we'll have no chance in the league because Rafa still won't have learned that having good workers that can fill a couple of positions when needed isn't as good as pooling the transfer funds and buying the 2 players that could make a difference going forward.

If Rafa's plan really is to have a front six of Masch, Alonso, Barry, Kuyt, Gerrard and Torres with Milner and Babel as cover then imo we might as well give up any hope of a serious challenge before we even start.

* and no, before everyone jumps on this from a great height, I don't have alternatives as to who would take Rafa's place - that doesn't mean however that I can't state the case for the prosecution when I can see our record as the most successful team in England equalled whilst we're happily chuging along in 3rd/4th.

Guest Prongsy
Yes.

Then, in another 5 years when they've not won the league, lets sack them just as they are getting their team together.

Then, in another 5 years when they've not won the league, lets sack them just as they are getting their team together.

How is Benitez just getting his team together?

Guest Prongsy
How is Benitez just getting his team together?

He's building, Ant. He has to because we can't afford to spend 30m on players like the Chelsea or United. It's much slower to have to find Skrtel for 6.5 than it is just to spend 32m on Ferdinand.

It's the same with Torres, it's much easier to just cherry pick. Where he's been allowed to get the players he wants, he's done brilliantly but it's when fans expect him to be able to compete with Bosingwa, Ferriera, Ashley Cole with 2m on Aurelio and Arbeloa.

He's building his team up, replacing bit by bit, only now is it becoming his team, even though many wouldn't have been his first pick if he had masses of money.

Edited by Prongsy

The problem isn't the man who buys James Milner. The problem is James Milner is all we can afford

Then you buy fewer players who cost more (meaning better players).

We don't need more squad players. We need quality. Lets for once spend the entire budget on 1-3 players (depending on price).

Meaning instead of buying 6 players around 5m lets buy 2 players who'll cost 15m. Then use the money from sales to buy replacements.

He's building, Ant. He has to because we can't afford to spend 30m on players like the Chelsea or United. It's much slower to have to find Skrtel for 6.5 than it is just to spend 32m on Ferdinand.

It's the same with Torres, it's much easier to just cherry pick. Where he's been allowed to get the players he wants, he's done brilliantly but it's when fans expect him to be able to compete with Bosingwa, Ferriera, Ashley Cole with 2m on Aurelio and Arbeloa.

He's building his team up, replacing bit by bit, only now is it becoming his team, even though many wouldn't have been his first pick if he had masses of money.

Off the top of my head

Kewell

Gerrard

Carra

Finnan

Riise

Are the only players left from the GH reign, it's been a good four years now since he has taken over, IMO he had just made his team back in 05/06, now it seems to have gone backwards and forwards alot since then.

Guest Prongsy
Off the top of my head

Kewell

Gerrard

Carra

Finnan

Riise

Are the only players left from the GH reign, it's been a good four years now since he has taken over, IMO he had just made his team back in 05/06, now it seems to have gone backwards and forwards alot since then.

His team that's been build up bit by bit is a completely different team to what it would have been like if he'd been able to buy 30m centre backs and 15-20m full backs. We'd have Alves for a start.

What I'm saying is that it'd be foolish to stop this building process and get some in because we expect a manager to win the league without being able to buy the same level of footballers that his rivals can. The level of play we had here when he took over, compared with United and Chelsea need to be taken into account.

I say let him keep building his team, even if that means buying one player and selling them at a profit as he so often does, then buying a better player. To start the process again will push us further from the title - the only advantage is that a new manager would have a much better starting point than Rafa had.

Guest Prongsy
Then you buy fewer players who cost more (meaning better players).

We don't need more squad players. We need quality. Lets for once spend the entire budget on 1-3 players (depending on price).

Meaning instead of buying 6 players around 5m lets buy 2 players who'll cost 15m. Then use the money from sales to buy replacements.

That's only starting to apply now, we had to spread the money thinly to begin with.

Off the top of my head

Kewell

Gerrard

Carra

Finnan

Riise

Hyypia is there as well

Riise, Kewell (and Maybe Finnan) are going in the summer, we will need a new right back and a new left back and 1 maybe 2 new forwards, Do you think that we will have enough money to but a couple of £20m forwards and still be able to afford £10m on full backs?

I think the more pertinent question is, why do so many people think we're just two players away from winning the league?

Two players in the Babel, Masch, Torres class will bring us a lot closer to the title than 4-6 players of the Voronin, Milner, Pennant class.

That's only starting to apply now, we had to spread the money thinly to begin with.

Agreed. But I'm afraid that's not how Benitez works. He wants a squad where one player can come in for another without too much of a drop in quality. Meaning he'll be (and has been) looking for 7/10 players instead of those that reach 9/10 regularly but may drop down to 5/10 in between.

(if you know what I mean)

Two players in the Babel, Masch, Torres class will bring us a lot closer to the title than 4-6 players of the Voronin, Milner, Pennant class.

Closer to the title isn't the same as winning it. We're getting closer every year, while maintaining an impressive presence in Europe.

I'd actually argue we'd be better off spending the money on two high quality, young full backs.

so you would think we have a better chance of winning the title if we sign Alves and Lahm than if we buy Ronaldo and Messi?

its not about what Manchester United do, its what we do. we have a big season coming up next season and a crucial summer in terms of who we bring in. we need quality signings this summer, and i'd much rather Rafa spent that money on 2 or 3 quality players who will improve the best 11, rather than half a dozen potentially good players.

Closer to the title isn't the same as winning it. We're getting closer every year, while maintaining an impressive presence in Europe.

True, but we have to get close first to then be able to win it. We are still probably too far behind to realistically expect the title next season. It's about getting closer and putting pressure on the other teams now.

Two world class players will get us there more than 4-6 squad players (IMO).