By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Liverpool v Man U (Football Rivalries)

Cliff M

Anyone else watch it on More4 last night? It went right back to early Victorian times to attempt to explain the beginnings of the rivalry between the 2 cities then the football teams. Was interesting, though there was little in there I'd not heard before. Manc lad told the interviewer that Salford Docks was bigger then Liverpool Docks when it opened. Wishful thinking.

Guest PaulMcC

I watched it but missed the very start of it.

What's the rivalry they're showing tonight?

It was funny Benfica fans thinking they're the biggest club in the world.

The company that made that is who I am doing my research for, owned by a great set of lads who done the 'Year in the life' Steven Gerrard thing. They are big reds.

Whatya doin the research on?

They are making a new programme on the top 50 players of all time.

It looks really good so far. I have already watched all the Football Rivalries, has the Fenerbache/Galatasary been on yet? Its mental.

That's never been a friendly one.

That's never been a friendly one.

Make sure you watch it, its outrageous. The game was last season, 6 days before we played Milan in Athens. Fenerbachce had won the league and went to Galatasaray as champions.

They won the game 2-0, but that is secondary to the 12000 seats that the Gala fans ripped up and threw at the players during the game, there was all sorts getting thrown at them, it was unbelievable!

They had to leave the pitch at one point, just crazy.

The final scene is outside the stadium watching the fans stream away, trouble in the streets, coppers everywhere and in the background the Galatasaray stadium is on fire, burned by their own fans!

I don't condone what some of our fans did in Athens, but surely this should have received more attention?!

Make sure you watch it, its outrageous. The game was last season, 6 days before we played Milan in Athens. Fenerbachce had won the league and went to Galatasaray as champions.

They won the game 2-0, but that is secondary to the 12000 seats that the Gala fans ripped up and threw at the players during the game, there was all sorts getting thrown at them, it was unbelievable!

They had to leave the pitch at one point, just crazy.

The final scene is outside the stadium watching the fans stream away, trouble in the streets, coppers everywhere and in the background the Galatasaray stadium is on fire, burned by their own fans!

I don't condone what some of our fans did in Athens, but surely this should have received more attention?!

When's that one on mate?

Did they do any about the rivalry in Israeli football at all? I recall an article I read in FourFourTwo years ago about some of the things they chanted at each other during the game...

Edited by MFletcher

When's that one on mate?

Did they do any about the rivalry in Israeli football at all? I recall an article I read in FourFourTwo years ago about some of the things they chanted at each other during the game...

Not sure when its on, I think ITV4 are showing them all.

Others are

Real/Barca

Celtic/Rangers

Olympiakos/Panathinaikos

Ajax/feyenoord

Porto/Benfica

Flamengo/Fluminese

Boca/River

AC/Inter I think??

Schalke/Dortmund

Hadjuk Split/Croatia Zagreb

Everton/Marine

They are all really good, the Split/Zagreb one is excellent, the Boban stuff is really interesting.

Everton/Marine

I'm pleased to see that the makers did not focus exclusively on some of the higher profile rivalries. This program on the rivalry between two minnows of the English game should be interesting, and it strikes a blow against those who claim that people 'only care about big clubs'.

I'd like to commend whichever reporter was brave enough to step foot inside the stadium during match day to profile a fixture with such a vicious atmosphere and undercurrent of extreme violence.

Edited by MFletcher

I'm pleased to see that the makers did not focus exclusively on some of the higher profile rivalries. This program on the rivalry between two minnows of the English game should be interesting, and it strikes a blow against those who claim that people 'only care about big clubs'.

I'd like to commend whichever reporter was brave enough to step foot inside the stadium during match day to profile a fixture with such a vicious atmosphere and undercurrent of extreme violence.

It was really well reported, a combo of Gerald Tintax and Paul 'Salty' Salt worked tirelessly.

Not sure when its on, I think ITV4 are showing them all.

Others are

Real/Barca

Celtic/Rangers

Olympiakos/Panathinaikos

Ajax/feyenoord

Porto/Benfica

Flamengo/Fluminese

Boca/River

AC/Inter I think??

Schalke/Dortmund

Hadjuk Split/Croatia Zagreb

Everton/Marine

They are all really good, the Split/Zagreb one is excellent, the Boban stuff is really interesting.

Should have done Ahly/ Zamalek in egypt, the biggest two clubs in Africa and as fierce as anything in the world

Coming back to LFC vs United rivalry, there was a fixed game between the teams in 1915, wasn't there, and I also read some articles on the history site, where old supporters stated the matches vs United in 40s or 50s were never a a matter of principle, compared to the derby.