By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

New stadium to start sithin weeks.

Keita

Liverpool FC stadium work could start within weeks at Anfield

Apr 26 2008 by David Bartlett, Liverpool Daily Post

Anfield stadium from the air (320)

LIVERPOOL FC will be in a position to start work on its new £350m stadium next month, if it is approved by the city’s planning committee.

Co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett’s controversial £350m refinancing package signed earlier this year included £60m to get work started on the 60,000-seater ground on Stanley Park.

The Liverpool Daily Post understands the £60m would allow the club to start land and preparatory works for the stadium, and see the scheme through to the end of 2008.

A new financing package would then be needed to finish the spectacular stadium, now on its third design.

The redrawn plans by Dallas-based architects HKS are cheaper than their current incarnation.

The main savings are under-stood to be reducing the depth of the dig into the park from 14 metres to eight metres.

The sides of the ground have been tucked in, and it could now only handle a maximum of 73,000 seats instead of 76,000.

I

« previous pic next pic »

Next month, the city’s planning committee will debate the crucial changes, which also include:

The underground car park beneath the stadium halved.

A three-storey car park under tennis courts and a games area in Stanley Park, shielded from Priory Road by a “green wall”.

The width, length and height reduced by several metres.

The roof opening is smaller and designed differently to keep the crowd dry and help pitch grow.

Plans for public viewing areas, a “skywalk” and roof terrace restaurant in the new Kop stand have been scrapped.

The redesign does not affect the restoration of the remainder of Stanley Park, which is under way.

A council report states: “The overall form of the stadium, with the Kop as the main generator of the building form will add to the city skyline, and create a positive landmark and a focus for further investment.

“The changes introduced in March do little to dilute the architectural quality.”

Planning officers recommend approval if Liverpool FC agreed to meet certain conditions.

The club has been asked to ensure spectators leaving their cars in the stadium’s 970 parking spaces arrive an hour before kick-off and wait an hour after the final whistle to leave.

The club must also pay for a yearly review of the residents-only parking zone around Anfield for five years after the ground opens – and fund any expansion of it.

Several groups have objected, including Priory Area Residents Association (Para), Friends of Stanley Park and Stanley Park Preservation Society.

Guest Prongsy
Don't see anything happening until the ownership question is settled.

I hope it doesn't. It would be stupid for the board to decide to start if the money to complete isn't there, the owners might not be there and the new owners might want a different design etc...

I hope it doesn't. It would be stupid for the board to decide to start if the money to complete isn't there, the owners might not be there and the new owners might want a different design etc...

At least half the reasons I can think of for it not getting going right there.

Guest Toxteth O'Grady

Hicks is going nowhere for a while yet, and the new stadium is vital and the quicker it gets going the better, regardless of who owns the club.

If DIC takeover at some point they'll just have to accept the current design, which to be fair is superb.

Hicks is going nowhere for a while yet, and the new stadium is vital and the quicker it gets going the better, regardless of who owns the club.

If DIC takeover at some point they'll just have to accept the current design, which to be fair is superb.

Why would they have to accept the current design? They can tear it up and start again if they wish, as could anyone else.

Guest Prongsy

I don't agree with that.

Whyu on earth will they just have to accept it?

Guest Toxteth O'Grady
I don't agree with that.

Whyu on earth will they just have to accept it?

You don't have to agree with it.

Because it could be half built by then.

Guest Toxteth O'Grady
Why would they have to accept the current design? They can tear it up and start again if they wish, as could anyone else.

I think Hicks will still be here in a years time, and the stadium build will be well under way. If he does decide to sell, I doubt very much DIC will suddenly stop it and ask for a new design, as they know themselves how important the stadium is for the future of the club.

Guest Prongsy

Hicks being here doesn't mean the stadium will be under way, infact the longer he holds on the less likely it is.

I think Hicks will still be here in a years time, and the stadium build will be well under way. If he does decide to sell, I doubt very much DIC will suddenly stop it and ask for a new design, as they know themselves how important the stadium is for the future of the club.

Hicks can't act on this unilaterally - it's all via the board. Do you see Gillett agreeing to let him get started on this? Or Parry or Moores while the ownership question is to be decided and they all basicvally want him out? They will also be aware that DIC will have their own ideas already in the can.

Guest Prongsy
Hicks can't act on this unilaterally - it's all via the board. Do you see Gillett agreeing to let him get started on this? Or Parry or Moores while the ownership question is to be decided and they all basicvally want him out? They will also be aware that DIC will have their own ideas already in the can.

Yep, not to mention that the stadium is one of the things that will be a DIC trump card in getting Hicks out. If DIC don't want it to start yet (and I can't see throwing the trump card away) then Gillett won't want it to start (because of the people he's selling to) and that means it probably won't start.

Edited by Prongsy

Guest Toxteth O'Grady

It's go nothing to do with DIC really until they own the club, which could be months or even years yet, or maybe never. It's also possble that they want no real involvment in the stadium project and are happy to see the current design go ahead, especially if they know they won't be taking over for a while yet.

The rest, Moores, Gillett, and Parry especially, all know how important it is to get going and I doubt will object to the work starting, even in the current limbo and with the prospect of the club changing hands again.

We'll soon find out in a few weeks anyway.

Edited by Toxteth O'Grady

or, i suppose, you could turn that round and say what if Gilette* put forward the money to get the build underway thereby forcing Hicks to begin putting money in.. money he currently doesn't have to put in.. money that he doesn't have so, if he can't put in, may have to think about selling his share in the club..................... just a thought.. :unsure:

*for Gillett read DIC.. again, just a thought...............................

Guest Prongsy
It's go nothing to do with DIC really until they own the club

That's very, very naive in my opinion. DIC are a massive player in all of this, Gillett wants to sell to DIC and his side have the power in the board room.

Guest Toxteth O'Grady
That's very, very naive in my opinion. DIC are a massive player in all of this, Gillett wants to sell to DIC and his side have the power in the board room.

It's not naive at all. DIC can spin all the PR they want, but they have no power until they own the club, or part of it, and should stay out of club affairs.

Currently Hicks still has control, we are desperate for the stadium to get built, and if the rest of the board give the go ahead, work will start.

Edited by Toxteth O'Grady