By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

A bit of joy on a day of sadness...

Gray - YPC

I've spoken to my brother today and he's told me a wonderful story that has brought a little bit of joy on a day of such sadness.

He posted it on RAWK (which he uses more):

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=217525.0

Andy Gray posted:

In 1989, the Derby branch were well established, but the regular awayers consisted of myself, Andy, John & Paul. Paul never came back from Sheffield. This day every year, a number of Paul's friends meet at a local pub and celebrate his life. I could not be there this year though for various reasons.

In the years after 1989, we had a great bunch of lads going home and away, one of whom was a lad called Ian who lived in Leicester. He gave up his ST in 1998 after we played Coventry at Anfield, blaming Collymore. We already had tickets (not match tickets though) to go to Paris for the PSG Semi in the CWC, but he did not come. We knew there was more to it and he certainly had a few problems, but we kept in touch over the next few years, but then it faded and died.

He would never come to the anniversary piss up because he did not know Paul and was not there on the day. He could not accept that his age was a dominant factor in that - he was too young (Thank God) and felt that he had no right to feel as bad as he did over Hillsborough. We had many conversations on the matter, but he never grieved properly because he felt out of place.

The last time I saw him, he was lying about his circumstances and his parents were really frightened about what would happen. I then moved away from the UK again and lost touch.

Now, after 7 years without communication, he turned up at Paul's grave at 3:06 and has since joined the celebration of Paul's life. He is in the pub with the Lads as I write. We have worried about him so much, and now, not only is he OK, but seems happy. I have just spoken to him on the phone and feel so chuffed, which is difficult today.

Just thought I would relay some good news.

I know that my brother, the other Andy and the other lads who went the match together have been really concerned with Ian's wellbeing, so for him to just turn up from nowhere has been incredible for them.

It feels strange that they are feeling joy on a day like today, but they have gotten a good friend back on a day when they lost a great friend 19 years ago.

I thought I would share this with you all...

I never know truly how to feel each year on this day. I remember it, I remember where I was (it wasn't there), but I was borderline young, certainly OOTer and feel that the pain and sorrow that I feel is in someway false as it's in relation to the club I love and not events I experienced.

That post makes me feel good. And that's a fact

Nice one that, Gray.

I always hate the evening of this day - that was when it all really sank in as I watched it alone on Match of the Day. I was one of the lucky ones - I made it home from the game - and the evening/night was the worst of my life, but somehow I feel guilty about that. Survivor's guilt, I guess.

YNWA.

I wasn't there, I like many many others watched it unfold on the tele. I had the radio on for the match and the snooker on the tele with the sound turned down. I remember a copper coming on and saying it was ticketless fans crashed through the gates and just sat there shocked. Not us again. Then a fan ran up to the camera and said 'look we had tickets', and showed a full ticket not just the stub,'they opened the gates'. That was my first moment of suspicion, something wasn't right with what we were being told.

Anyway as it started to dawn on me that this was more than just the usual crush, and I have been in several. I started to panic, my brother was there in Leppings Lane. Then, it seems stupid now, a group of fans were running across the pitch with an injured fan on an advertising board. The lad on the board, who I couldn't see, had the same trainers as my brother. All I could think of was they're our Bryans trainers, I was absolutely convinced.

It must have been about 10ish that night when my brother phoned, he and his mates hadn't even got to the match they had broken down half way between Torquay and Sheffield. By the time it was sorted they decided to head back to Torquay.

My brother also didn't make it to Heysel because of a bad Kidney infection, someone is looking out for him me thinks.

Just remembered something else about the day.

My brother heard what was happening on the radio - he knew my Mum would be blissfully unaware so he decided to get over to her house as quick as possible. He was stopped on the motorway by the Police for speeding. He accepted that he was speeding and explained the situation - "my brother is at Hillsborough and it sounds like there are serious problems, I am rushing over to my Mum's to make sure she is ok and not worrying too much".

Their response was fairly typical of the kind of c***s the police force attracts (specifically traffic cops) : "So you're justifying the fact that you were breaking the law by explaining that your borther is a football hooligan??"

Just remembered something else about the day.

My brother heard what was happening on the radio - he knew my Mum would be blissfully unaware so he decided to get over to her house as quick as possible. He was stopped on the motorway by the Police for speeding. He accepted that he was speeding and explained the situation - "my brother is at Hillsborough and it sounds like there are serious problems, I am rushing over to my Mum's to make sure she is ok and not worrying too much".

Their response was fairly typical of the kind of c***s the police force attracts (specifically traffic cops) : "So you're justifying the fact that you were breaking the law by explaining that your borther is a football hooligan??"

:hmm: that's disgraceful :angry:

I hate yesterday for many and mixed reasons and time does not make it soften.

I live and London and have done since May 1989 - after the event, just moved away on my own and still cannot fully explain why tbh. My life has changed a lot since then but I wonder why I left in the May but I cannot find an answer.

I drove to the game with my dad and we were close enough to see what was happening but not too close to be caught up in it. We managed to get out ok and walked back to the car, and drove home, without saying a word. Dad never attended another game and it was the one thing that kept us two close and as such we never spoke about it and just said nothing to anybody. When he died, he had never mentioned it at all.

We knew personally two of the victims and I keep regular contact with their family - about the only people back home I do keep in contact with as so much changed that day.

I'm happy that you brother's friend re-entered their lives and they should all savour their times together.

To all the families of the victims, their friends and relatives, to all those who were there and know the truth - one day it will come out and until then never forget.