Vladi relishing return

Montse

SMICER CAN'T WAIT FOR KOP RETURN

Mark Platt 25 August 2006

Former Red Vladimir Smicer is relishing the prospect of playing at Anfield once again after Thursday's Champions League group phase draw paved the way for an emotional return.

A hero of Liverpool's 2005 Champions League triumph over AC Milan, Smicer admits he was overjoyed on hearing that his current club Bordeaux had been draw in the same group as Liverpool.

The Czech Republic midfielder experienced a bitter-sweet six years on Merseyside but signed off in style with a never-to-be-forgotten performance in Istanbul that is sure to guarantee him a fantastic reception when the French outfit play in front of the Kop on October 31.

"It's fantastic to play against Liverpool, that's all I wanted. Playing there again is going to be pure pleasure," says the now 33-year old, who is confident his side can progress.

He adds: "We have a great draw, I am very happy about it, especially because I think we can make it through to the next round. It will be open and I think there is no clear favourite. We have the level to beat all those teams."

Smicer's coach at Bordeaux, Ricardo, meanwhile, believes Liverpool are the strongest team in the group.

"This is a very difficult draw," he says. "It is still possible for us to do well. But Liverpool belong to another world than us while PSV have qualified every year and have a lot of experience, just like Galatasaray."

ere

Top guy! :)