your DIY skills

anyone any good at DIY?

I'm useless, although I'm willing to learn....indeed just the other day I did some 'drilling'

so what can people do?

can you cut wood to size and put up shelves, in a way that doesn't involve big unsightly brackets?

can you do any plumbing? (water not gas...or gas, f*** it)

any good at painting?

plastering?

how about making lamps out of reclaimed materials found in a tip or ripped out of a house?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've become quite proud of my DIY skills, made a TV stand out of an old pallet, made 2 gates, put up 12 metres worth of 8foot feather-edge fencing, boarded out my attic, installed a couple of showers, painted our kitchen, which is double-height, with a mezzanine level which had a feature wall, laid a hardwood floor in the lounge.

This is all done out of refusing to pay the ridiculous amounts you get quoted for things e.g. boarding out the attic was quoted to me as £3000, it cost me £200 in materials and took 2 days.

It's amazing how not wanting to pay someone motivates you to try to learn new skills. On that subject, just bought an SDS drill

Know my limitations though - don't touch gas or electrics and if a job turns out to be more complicated that I thought, I'll get someone in.

I've become quite proud of my DIY skills, made a TV stand out of an old pallet, made 2 gates, put up 12 metres worth of 8foot feather-edge fencing, boarded out my attic, installed a couple of showers, painted our kitchen, which is double-height, with a mezzanine level which had a feature wall, laid a hardwood floor in the lounge.

This is all done out of refusing to pay the ridiculous amounts you get quoted for things e.g. boarding out the attic was quoted to me as £3000, it cost me £200 in materials and took 2 days.

how would you like a 'diy holiday' in rural France?

that's where someone pays your travel costs, food and unlimited booze and all you have to do is 4 hours a day of work, typically 9-12 and then an hour at cocktail hour, that's before dinner is served or we hit a local restaurant

this leaves plenty of leisure time to enjoy nearby attractions such as this: 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1223133-d5963324-Reviews-Lac_des_Bariousses-Treignac_Correze_Nouvelle_Aquitaine.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=105741671

on a scale of 0-10, minus 15

Beats me. F*cking hopeless at everything even remotely practical, one of only two boys in the cookery class at school, practically unheard of back then but my complete lack of interest and coordination made me a liability with a balsa knife. No interest in improving either.To be fair me and Jack Smith pulled of a major coup spending an hour a week with the girls.

I quite enjoy it.

Wired in new recessed spotlights in my bathroom was out of my comfort zone but did it confidently after a bit of research. Took apart a tumbledryer to replace a relay. Wired in CCTV. Decorated rooms. Boarded and insulated the loft. Laid flooring. Replaced guttering

My wife is the DIY queen in our house. I can do some stuff, but my secret is not to be too good at too much. This results in being asked to do less. If I'm on my own and something needs doing, as long as it's complicated, I'll do it, or find a guy who can do it for me.

Does this make me a bad person? Do I care?

Edited by Nebraska Red

Painting, varnishing is simple, anyone can do it, you just need sheets to ensure you don't get it on the furniture carpet etc, can't do anything with gas or electric apart from rewiring a plug or changing a light bulb. Done a bit of tiling and once you break a few tiles whilst cutting them you do get the knack after a while. Gardening, clearing shoots/drains, cutting trees, sealing a driveway is also a piece of piss, just need to allocate the time and again make sure you have the right equipment, google, youtube will see you home most of the time anyway. I also assembled a greenhouse, that was a nightmare and probably not worth the cost it I would have incurred had I let the experts do it.

My wife is the DIY queen in our house. I can do some stuff, but my secret is not to be too good at too much. This results in being asked to do less. If I'm on my own and something needs doing, as long as it's complicated, I'll do it, or find a guy who can do it for me.
Does this make me a bad person? Do I care?

ah the old 'I dont know how to load a dishwasher' approach.

Yes, this makes you a bad person!

My 81 year old dad and his 70 year old mate are installing our new kitchen. They are doing a brilliant if a little slow job. I'm chipping in with a bit of heavy lifting when a worktop or ceramic sink needs shifting.

I did do a lovely job of oiling the worktops.

My 81 year old dad and his 70 year old mate are installing our new kitchen. They are doing a brilliant if a little slow job. I'm chipping in with a bit of heavy lifting when a worktop or ceramic sink needs shifting.

I did do a lovely job of oiling the worktops.

When we had our kitchen done, I provided coffee and food for the 2 guys doing the job. They were blown away that somebody would do that for them. I also did the clean up when they were done for the day. The job got done really quickly.

My biggest hate DIY wise, is painting. I have no patience for it and zero skill. My wife loves painting, and decorating. She's the one who can't load the dishwasher :)

When we had our kitchen done, I provided coffee and food for the 2 guys doing the job. They were blown away that somebody would do that for them. I also did the clean up when they were done for the day. The job got done really quickly.

My biggest hate DIY wise, is painting. I have no patience for it and zero skill. My wife loves painting, and decorating. She's the one who can't load the dishwasher :)

I don't mind the painting - and I'm much better at it than my missus, but she is much better than me at hanging wallpaper, so between us we have the decorating bases covered. We both hate the prep work though (stripping the walls, making good any under the surface fixes, sanding down, cleaning up - painful, the lot of it).

We always do teas and coffees for tradesmen working here. Bacon sarnies mid-morning if they're going to be here all day too. Firstly it's good to treat people nicely, but it also really helps when you then need someone at short notice & they remember you as the "bacon sarnie" place and get up here sharpish :)

With you on the painting front - absolutely hate it and I'm crap at it. Probably hate it because I'm crap at it - happy to do undercoating and prep work but I just can't get the finish right.

how would you like a 'diy holiday' in rural France?

that's where someone pays your travel costs, food and unlimited booze and all you have to do is 4 hours a day of work, typically 9-12 and then an hour at cocktail hour, that's before dinner is served or we hit a local restaurant

this leaves plenty of leisure time to enjoy nearby attractions such as this: 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1223133-d5963324-Reviews-Lac_des_Bariousses-Treignac_Correze_Nouvelle_Aquitaine.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=105741671

Surely you'd be better off hiring some of fyds' imaginary workmen?

Think of the transfer scoops we'd get as well.

even better, he 'has a place in France' - it's just around the corner from my old place

maybe he'll have moved and the new place will be near my new place, which will make things run more smoothly

anyway, I'm still on the lookout for anyone who wants a DIY holiday

what can I do to sweeten the deal? perhaps people want to bring the WAGs...

what I really need is a recovering drink or drug addict who happens to be a brilliant workman and wants to get away from it all for a bit

in which case, out goes unlimited booze and in comes unlimited foie gras and other delicacies, and canoeing, cycling and boxing training

even better, he 'has a place in France' - it's just around the corner from my old place

maybe he'll have moved and the new place will be near my new place, which will make things run more smoothly

anyway, I'm still on the lookout for anyone who wants a DIY holiday

what can I do to sweeten the deal? perhaps people want to bring the WAGs...

what I really need is a recovering drink or drug addict who happens to be a brilliant workman and wants to get away from it all for a bit

in which case, out goes unlimited booze and in comes unlimited foie gras and other delicacies, and canoeing, cycling and boxing training

Spend some of your riches on good quality tools and youtube everything, think about it obsessively for a couple of weeks (catastrophising every possible outcome in the process), then just bodge it as best you can.