Sign in to follow this  
Swan Red

Some reflections on 50 and life

been away for a few days...just curious...are you still caning the smoke or did you knock it on head?

obviously hope it all works out swimmingly for you and yes as we all approach 50 time to reassess kicks in.

hope you make it through my man.

Hard to know what to say other than I have great admiration for the honesty of your post, SR.

You raise issues there that we should all be mindful of and invariably we aren't.

Lean hard on your friends, that's what they're there for and keep being open in general - is about the best advice I can muster.

been away for a few days...just curious...are you still caning the smoke or did you knock it on head?

obviously hope it all works out swimmingly for you and yes as we all approach 50 time to reassess kicks in.

hope you make it through my man.

Somewhere in the middle, not caning it by any stretch but it's there

Cheers OM and Tommo

Somewhere in the middle, not caning it by any stretch but it's there

Cheers OM and Tommo

not linking long term use to any MH issues?

not that im advocating stopping by any stretch...but well you know.

not linking long term use to any MH issues?

not that im advocating stopping by any stretch...but well you know.

I don't think so and I've considered it and discussed it with both my GP who advocated stopping, and my therapist who didn't.  The depression and anxiety don't really correlate to my usage so while I'm cutting down a lot I'm not stopping, that and I barely drink and do nothing else anymore would make me a very dull boy

same ...GP advised on quitting, counsellor said why would you.

stopped drinking a couple of years back (well within reason ill drink when out, just not weekends by myself when everyone else had gone to bed)

Anti-d's seem to be helping and other changes in life.

well we will see how it goes.

fingers crossed for you Vic.

Cheers Dee, the thing is while I'm sad about the breakdown of my marriage I'm not suffering with the depression that was overwhelming for a while because I'm no longer having to keep the dirty secret about how my feelings for my wife had changed. It's also pretty much confirmed I'm out the door in November and will have the redundancy confirmed soon so I can take some time and evaluate what comes next.

Glad to hear it's working for you and good luck.

Thanks for posting this Cobs it's actually reminded me to book a session with a counsellor which I've not done since just after the separation.

There's a lot that resonates, I almost posted to this thread a little earlier because the last few months have been tough especially after the death of one of my closest mates but I'm taking steps to reflect and be better and to try and check myself into behaving better. It's a difficult process and one I would really benefit from talking to a counsellor about.