• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In October 2005, Liverpool City Council issued a public apology for the incident.

The full statement reads:

“ The Council acknowledges its debt to the many thousands of Welsh people who have made their homes in the City. They have, in so many ways, enriched the life of the City.

We know that Liverpool, especially in the fields of medicine and education, has been of real service to the people of Wales.

We realise the hurt of forty years ago when the Tryweryn Valley was transformed into a reservoir to help meet the water needs of Liverpool.

For any insensitivity by our predecessor Council at that time, we apologise and hope that the historic and sound relationship between Liverpool and Wales can be completely restored.

So, that's something I guess, but it was proper arlarse at the time. What would have been the alternative arrangements. Were there other schemes proposed ?

Yeah that apology feels like the very least we could do and I’m glad we did it.

Cool

So that’s that sorted then

What shall we worry about next ?

Also I’ve been there and the lake is amazing and we had a spa weekend and lamb, so there’s that.....

Not the greatest of apologies really either is it?

'It wasn't us and anyway we like the Welsh and have helped your schools and hospitals and stuff'

Though suppose there isn't loads to now be done really.

Same happened with the Mardale valley for Manchester.

Not the greatest of apologies really either is it?

'It wasn't us and anyway we like the Welsh and have helped your schools and hospitals and stuff'

It's a terrible apology. I don't understand what they're talking about in terms of medicine and education, but that could just be ignorance on my part.

Should have made it clear this thread isn’t for southern posh boys.

why not? 

why must you support exclusivity and discrimination?  :(

also, just in case there are people in the group who don't know me, I am well-spoken that's true...well-educated too

these things have carried me far - certainly further than 'hard work'  - but that's for another time

but I'm not posh....... my friend, as that's literally impossible, given my background

also, I've lived 13 out of 52 years in the South...London, that is

moving on, I think you've hit upon a brilliant idea for a new thread, which could lead to all kinds of initiatives - well done you!!

so let's start with a list of displaced people and work it up from there

soon we'll have set up a charitable foundation to go with our chit-chat

who wants to start?

one rule though, and I get to make it as it's my game...now:

we leave Palestinians, and the entire Jewish race out of it until the end

You almost sound like one of those trolls who can dish it out but can’t take it.

But that can’t be right.

Oh no, of course not -you’d have to be mad to jump to that conclusion

But what about my new thread?

That way we could pull all our ideas in to one handy thread

That’s gotta be good right?

So come on guys, let’s hit the encyclopaedia and the internet

I don't know if this was as much of a bad deed by the city of Liverpool, but more of how the powers that be in London treated Wales as a vassal state.

The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing

If there was any upside to the Cofiwch Dryweryn mural being vandalised a few times earlier in the year, is that it's become a prominent symbol in the Welsh Independence movement that seems to be gathering a bit of momentum at the moment. Think people are starting to realise how continually f***ed we're getting by Westminster governments and starting to at least think about Independence as a serious option.

8-10k at an Independence march in Caernarfon on the weekend and another coming in September here in Merthyr. I'll be very interested to see how that one goes in this area - as I think it'll really polarise opinions locally.

If there was any upside to the Cofiwch Dryweryn mural being vandalised a few times earlier in the year, is that it's become a prominent symbol in the Welsh Independence movement that seems to be gathering a bit of momentum at the moment. Think people are starting to realise how continually f***ed we're getting by Westminster governments and starting to at least think about Independence as a serious option.

8-10k at an Independence march in Caernarfon on the weekend and another coming in September here in Merthyr. I'll be very interested to see how that one goes in this area - as I think it'll really polarise opinions locally.

do you support ACTUAL independence for Wales?

FWA

I do.

can you tell me what you want, and why?

what are the issues that need to be addressed around the subject, eg will it result in diminished revenue or grants or something?

what if we were definitely staying in the EU?

Self-governance is what I want, because that's what I want for all nations.

I'm not sure what you mean, but all the issues need to be addressed, govenment obviously impacts pretty much everything. In terms of revenue etc. I imagine there would need to be some sort of payback from Westminster to begin with, but obviously the goal is self-sufficiency. Going back to the sort of point of this thread, giving controls of a country's resources back to it's people is important.

I'd be happy for an independent Wales to be a member of the EU, but my thoughts haven't changed because of Brexit.

what would be a counter-argument from a Welsh 'loyalist?' 'unionist?' - I'm not sure what the word is

anyway, are there reasons Welsh people would want to stay part of the UK?

'We'd never be able to survive financially' is the usual main argument which ignores the fact that we are not currently in charge of our finances or resources so it's impossible to tell. You'd think that if we were such a financial burden on Westminster they'd be glad to be rid of us.

Evidence from other similar small nations does not point to them struggling for money.

Some people just love all the union jack sh*t though.

Edited by cymrococh