By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Wif-fi Router extension (split from Android topic)

Hus

Thanks Phil. Unfortunately cant move the router as its cable and cant be arsed with having to get an engineer out to re-drill elsewhere. The router is upstairs plugged into a powerline and I have a paired powerline downstairs and it is miles faster than the wifi speeds i am getting. I think the main reason is there is a large RSJ running the width of the kitchen.

I just tested a few things:

1   sitting next to my router upstairs front of house using wifi I got 39 mbps

2   in living room downstairs front of house directly underneath router using wifi i got 36mbps

3   in kitchen downstairs at back of house (Right under RSJ) using wifi i got around 30mbps but it is usually less than that

4   signal drops in garden

5   I then plugged into powerline using ethernet, disable wifi and got 92mbps

Reckon that means number 2 is a good option as not sure if number 3 would increase my speed any but maybe just get the slower speed at a greater range.

If I choose number 2 would any router at all work? I have a spare sky hub but unsure as to whether that would work on a virgin network 

Yes, pretty much any router. The only thing that you really need for it to work seamlessly is for it to support the same wireless authentication method as your main router. The Sky Hub would probably be up to the job, although from memory Sky tend to lock their routers down pretty severely. Give it a go.

What you need to bear in mind is that the influence of your cable provider stops at the router which it is connected to. Anything further inside your network than that just needs pointing at where to go to get on the internet. 

The Sky Hub would probably be up to the job, although from memory Sky tend to lock their routers down pretty severely. Give it a go.

I went to maplin last night and bought a third powerline but this one has a wifi extender on it. I put it in the kitchen and now getting 50mbps there and 40+ in the garden. All good now :-)

Oh, saw this after I posted. Problem solved!

Yes, pretty much any router. The only thing that you really need for it to work seamlessly is for it to support the same wireless authentication method as your main router. The Sky Hub would probably be up to the job, although from memory Sky tend to lock their routers down pretty severely. Give it a go.

What you need to bear in mind is that the influence of your cable provider stops at the router which it is connected to. Anything further inside your network than that just needs pointing at where to go to get on the internet. 

The Sky Hub would probably be up to the job, although from memory Sky tend to lock their routers down pretty severely. Give it a go.

Oh, saw this after I posted. Problem solved!

Thanks Phil - I got impatient as it was doing me head in hence the maplins trip plus I was driving past it anyway :-)

Edited by scoose